The Student Room Group

MEI OCR Mechanics 3 - 25/05/2016 A.M.

I hadn't seen a thread abut this exam so there's that. In question 2, what was the amplitude?

Scroll to see replies

I got 0.2 i think. What dod you get for the last 2 parts of the paper i couldnt get them at all :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by bellacutie
I got 0.2 i think. What dod you get for the last 2 parts of the paper i couldnt get them at all :frown:

I did the first of them, I equated the energy before the coalesce, vertically below the centre, (to equate it then to that at A) to the one (before the coalesce; we got given the speed) at A .
Equated the energy before the coalesce to the new one at A
and I got a expression with a In it so I left it cause it asked for a value of K, I don't remember if it left the motion at A if so we were meant to use N2L and find 2 expressions for the velocity which would then be replaced in the energy equation giving us an answer, but I only did till the expression, I know I got full marks for Q. 1, Q.4 all marks except for those mentioned (13 however I might get some for the energy stuff) Q2 I started the integration but I don't understand how we were meant to integrate x/2 which apparently gave k as 2 still though I will pick up some marks
Q 3 I got the first 7, then the one, didn't get the amplitude so I made it up, same as the angular frequency and found a fake speed which I hope gets me 2 marks,

I revised so much for this and we get questions with vertical elastic shm, that of the circle was mad, I didn't manage to get through to all the questions about the COM, I got an A in a mock and I've lost like 37 marks, hopefully less and hopefully
Did anyone else find this paper to be extremely hard? I've never seen a paper like this normally I have a good idea of what to do but for the last 2 questions I was really stuck. Here's hoping the grade boundaries are REALLY low
Reply 4
Original post by charliemaths1207
Did anyone else find this paper to be extremely hard? I've never seen a paper like this normally I have a good idea of what to do but for the last 2 questions I was really stuck. Here's hoping the grade boundaries are REALLY low

same man
Reply 5
Original post by charliemaths1207

Hated it.
I loved question 1 and 3 was okay-ish... But 2ii & III and 4i and the last part was a nightmare.
Reply 6
Original post by Aph
Hated it.
I loved question 1 and 3 was okay-ish... But 2ii & III and 4i and the last part was a nightmare.
what do you reckon about the boundaries?
Reply 7
Original post by chemari1
what do you reckon about the boundaries?

I'm hoping similar to 2014 although I recon that paper was harder than 14's
Reply 8
Original post by Aph
I'm hoping similar to 2014 although I recon that paper was harder than 14's

In question 3 what did you put for the amplitude and angular frequency-period?
Reply 9
In question 3 what did you put for the amplitude and angular frequency-period?

Amplitude was 0.2
I can't remember anything else
Reply 10
Original post by Aph
Amplitude was 0.2
I can't remember anything else
I was absolutely baffled by that of the amplitude, how did you find it? I don't even know how I did get to get the right answer for the equation of motion
I was absolutely baffled by that of the amplitude, how did you find it? I don't even know how I did get to get the right answer for the equation of motion

The equalibrium position was x=4 because the equation of motion was a=-10 (4-x) and a=0 at the centre of oscillation (when x=4).
When x=4.2 the particle is at rest, meaning it's at the extremity of the oscillation.
So A=0.2
Reply 12
Original post by ¡Muy bien!
The equalibrium position was x=4 because the equation of motion was a=-10 (4-x) and a=0 at the centre of oscillation (when x=4).
When x=4.2 the particle is at rest, meaning it's at the extremity of the oscillation.
So A=0.2

did it say when the particle was at rest?
Reply 13
did it say when the particle was at rest?

You calculated that using the forces I belive.
Reply 14
Original post by Aph
You calculated that using the forces I belive.

ok ta, I put the angular frequency as sqrt of 10, and from that found the period wll I get any marks for that?
Reply 15
ok ta, I put the angular frequency as sqrt of 10, and from that found the period wll I get any marks for that?

Root 10 doesn't sound right but you should get follow through marks.
Reply 16
Original post by Aph
Root 10 doesn't sound right but you should get follow through marks.

ta lad, how were you meant to calculate the amplitude though?
Reply 17
ta lad, how were you meant to calculate the amplitude though?

Look above
Reply 18
Original post by Aph
Look above
ok, I lost like 30 marks (probs less) what grade do you reckon that is?
Reply 19
ok, I lost like 30 marks (probs less) what grade do you reckon that is?

D at best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending