The Student Room Group

2016 OCR Biology A Breadth - Unofficial Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

It's kingdom phylem class order FAMILY (not fish) genus species
Original post by fteam
x=cell wall
y=plasma membrane as during plasmolysis the plasma membrane is drawn away from cell wall
z=tonoplast/vacoule as they never made that clear so could allow either.

The questions 21ai) was there was no consistency of sucrose concentration (from table it went from 0.4 to 0.45 where as throughout it was a difference of 0./1)
the second answer was size\amount of potato disc was not stated or controlled.

21aii) The question where you explain how it shows the water potential within the potato discs. You had to use the figures and explain that the percentage decreased in mass as concentration increased as concentration of sucrose increased so therefore higher water potential was in potato and by osmosis water left potato sacs(whatever they called them) resulting in decrease of mass of potato disc.

Guanine was 28% method= 22x2=44
100-44/2=28

The question based upon red blood cells lacking cell content answer was: increased surface area to volume ration and therefore maximum level of 02 can be transported to respiring tissues.

Then the one about why red blood cells never used up 02 was because they never contained double membrane bound organelles such as mitochondria which uses 02 for aerobic respiration. (dont know if im correct)

The question about the conservation when asking about small groups were isolated advantages where:
if a disease arise will not wipe out whole population
isolated therefore protected from predators and human hunted rhinos.

Another question was filling in missing gaps went in order like this : KINGDOM=ANIMALIA
Phylum, Class, Order, Fishes, Genus, Species=(in the question it said D.S... it was to copy the s part of name)
the second part to questions was why is binomial system helpful this was because it avoids confusion across the world when classifying species.

Last question was= bohr effect.

ii) active respiring tissues have lower saturation of 02 because aerobic resp. takes place releasing more co2 at faster rate which in return reacts with water to form carbonic anhydrase which then dissociates to form h+ ions causing haemoglobin to unfold as the bonds are broken such as hydrogen and ionic and 02 is released. Or active tissues have low p02 so Hhb dissociates to release 02.

cant remember the letters for the question after.

last question was based on mass flow. Cotransportation occurs where sap is actively loaded companion cell then diffuse through plasmodesmata, at top of sieve tube elements theres high hydrostatic pressure therefore creates a pressure gradient and moves along gradient towards sink where they are unloaded. Mention flow of sap in one direction to gain mark for mass flow.

(DONT KNOW IF ITS RIGHT)

Original post by fteam
x=cell wall
y=plasma membrane as during plasmolysis the plasma membrane is drawn away from cell wall

The questions 21ai) was there was no consistency of sucrose concentration (from table it went from 0.4 to 0.45 where as throughout it was a difference of 0./1)

21aii) The question where you explain how it shows the water potential within the potato discs. You had to use the figures and explain that the percentage decreased in mass as concentration increased as concentration of sucrose increased so therefore higher water potential was in potato and by osmosis water left potato sacs(whatever they called them) resulting in decrease of mass of potato disc.

100-44/2=28

The question based upon red blood cells lacking cell content answer was: increased surface area to volume ration and therefore maximum level of 02 can be transported to respiring tissues.

Then the one about why red blood cells never used up 02 was because they never contained double membrane bound organelles such as mitochondria which uses 02 for aerobic respiration. (dont know if im correct)

The question about the conservation when asking about small groups were isolated advantages where:

Another question was filling in missing gaps went in order like this : KINGDOM=ANIMALIA
Phylum, Class, Order, Fishes, Genus, Species=(in the question it said D.S... it was to copy the s part of name)
the second part to questions was why is binomial system helpful this was because it avoids confusion across the world when classifying species.

ii) active respiring tissues have lower saturation of 02 because aerobic resp. takes place releasing more co2 at faster rate which in return reacts with water to form carbonic anhydrase which then dissociates to form h+ ions causing haemoglobin to unfold as the bonds are broken such as hydrogen and ionic and 02 is released. Or active tissues have low p02 so Hhb dissociates to release 02.

last question was based on mass flow. Cotransportation occurs where sap is actively loaded companion cell then diffuse through plasmodesmata, at top of sieve tube elements theres high hydrostatic pressure therefore creates a pressure gradient and moves along gradient towards sink where they are unloaded. Mention flow of sap in one direction to gain mark for mass flow.

(DONT KNOW IF ITS RIGHT)

Original post by fteam
x=cell wall

100-44/2=28

(DONT KNOW IF ITS RIGHT)
It was a 4 marker so I reckon you had to put at least 2 letters for each one
Original post by Ilovepugs
The only way I could think of this being evidence for translocation is that sucrose travelling through the apoplast pathway require a cotransport protein, at hight temps this protein may denature so therefore translocation through the apoplast pathway would decrease
lol it was 98.5 bro not 6,600, i'm not even sure anymore they both make sense, since o.3*67.00 gives 20.1, but 98.5% is the increase(addition) from 0.3 to 20.1 in percentage
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by DoubleDoors
The formula for percentage change is:

It's change over original, not other one over original which would give 6700%, though i did put 6700% in the exam as i didn't realize it until now
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 64
lol i meant FAMILY**
No, 98% makes no sense at all. How is 20.1 only 98% larger than 0.3? If that were the case then it would have been around 0.6....as 0.6 is 100% larger than 0.3
(edited 7 years ago)
its not 98.5% larger, the difference between 20.1 and 0.3 as a percentage of 20.1 is 98.5%
Original post by fw431
It's change over original, not other one over original which would give 6700%, though i did put 6700% in the exam as i didn't realize it until now

Change is basically another way of saying:
(original - new)

Say it were the other way around; they wanted a percentage decrease in terms of the blood:

100*((0.3-20.1)/20.1) would yield a negative value for the percentage change, as it should do, for a decrease.
Original post by jbman690
its not 98.5% larger, the difference between 20.1 and 0.3 as a percentage of 20.1 is 98.5%

IIRC it wanted it in terms of the plasma (i.e. the plasma is on the denominator)
i got my 2/70 yay. Wait lol6700% is absolutely stupid, who would write that down you literally divided 20.1 by 0.3 and multiplied by 100, now that's retarded.
Original post by jbman690
i got my 2/70 yay. Wait lol6700% is absolutely stupid, who would write that down you literally divided 20.1 by 0.3 and multiplied by 100, now that's retarded.

'give the percentage increase of oxygen dissolved in 100cm^3 of plasma to oxygen dissolved in 100cm^3 of blood'

=> OLD = 0.3
=> NEW = 21.1

SO:
100×20.10.30.3=6600percent100\times\frac{20.1-0.3}{0.3}=6600 percent
exactly what you did but swapping the bottom by 20.1
(edited 7 years ago)
Thats exactly what i did too
if 0.3 was the original then it would be 6600% but if 20.1 was the original it would be 98.5%
(edited 7 years ago)
How many people here think they got an A in this exam?
damn i did the disadvantages of isolated populations :/
Original post by joshb3399
damn i did the disadvantages of isolated populations :/

Rightly so; the person who posted that must have made a typo/****ed up in the exam. The question asked why they could become extinct faster if isolated.
Reply 77
I wrote assimilates rather than sucrose solution. Would I still get the mark?? And I hated that exam. Probably my worse one so far ffs
Original post by Okay.1
I wrote assimilates rather than sucrose solution. Would I still get the mark?? And I hated that exam. Probably my worse one so far ffs

Which question was this for?
Original post by DoubleDoors
Rightly so; the person who posted that must have made a typo/****ed up in the exam. The question asked why they could become extinct faster if isolated.

Thank the lord!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending