The Student Room Group

solving modulus equations

Hi Guys ,
I'm trying to solve a modulus equation but my answer keep coming different that what the text book suggests . any help?
Original post by Alen.m
Hi Guys ,
I'm trying to solve a modulus equation but my answer keep coming different that what the text book suggests . any help?

That's because you aren't being careful enough about where the functions inside the moduli are positive and negative. One thing I'd advise is to sketch the LHS and the RHS on the same graph (being careful to not sketch y=2x+1y=|2x+1| instead), to get a feel for which particular sections of each of the curves intersect.

Recall that the definition of the modulus is
Unparseable latex formula:

|f(x)|=\begin{cases} f(x) & \text{if} \ f(x) \geq 0 \\ -f(x) & \text{if} \ f(x)<0

So for the LHS, this means that 3x+2=3x+2|3x+2| = 3x+2 whenever x2/3x\geq -2/3. Otherwise it's (3x+2)-(3x+2) for x<2/3x<-2/3.

Can you write the RHS in a similar way, by identifying where it has to flip from +x to -x for x|x|? Then you need to examine the 3 possible regions that arise for any intersections.
Reply 2
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
That's because you aren't being careful enough about where the functions inside the moduli are positive and negative. One thing I'd advise is to sketch the LHS and the RHS on the same graph (being careful to not sketch y=2x+1y=|2x+1| instead), to get a feel for which particular sections of each of the curves intersect.

Recall that the definition of the modulus is
Unparseable latex formula:

|f(x)|=\begin{cases} f(x) & \text{if} \ f(x) \geq 0 \\ -f(x) & \text{if} \ f(x)<0

So for the LHS, this means that 3x+2=3x+2|3x+2| = 3x+2 whenever x2/3x\geq -2/3. Otherwise it's (3x+2)-(3x+2) for x<2/3x<-2/3.

Can you write the RHS in a similar way, by identifying where it has to flip from +x to -x for x|x|? Then you need to examine the 3 possible regions that arise for any intersections.

im ok with sketching graphs of two functions of f(x) and g(x) also finding the point of intersection but after that i dont know how to form the equations and solve to find x . Dont know how to realise weather f(x) is positive or negative or about g(x) weather it's positive or negative on the point where it intersects with f (x) :frown:
Original post by Alen.m
im ok with sketching graphs of two functions of f(x) and g(x) also finding the point of intersection but after that i dont know how to form the equations and solve to find x . Dont know how to realise weather f(x) is positive or negative or about g(x) weather it's positive or negative on the point where it intersects with f (x) :frown:

I see. Just so I know where we're at, do you understand what I've done with 3x+2|3x+2| in my post above? In that it's +(3x+2)+(3x+2) wherever 3x+23x+2 is positive/non-negative, and (3x+2)-(3x+2) whenever 3x+23x+2 is negative?

If not, lets look at the RHS instead. Do you see that x=x|x|=x for x0x\geq 0, and x-x for x<0x<0? Then 2x+1=2x+12|x|+1 = 2x+1 for x0x\geq 0 and 2(x)+12(-x)+1 for x<0 x<0?

The reason this helps is because then you can search for solutions in regions that define where the functions are positive and negative. Let's start from the far left, what do the LHS and the RHS look like if x<2/3x < -2/3?

P.S. I'm about to head out so I may not be able to respond again until later. If anyone would like to continue where I've left off, please feel free, otherwise I'll respond when I return.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
I see. Just so I know where we're at, do you understand what I've done with 3x+2|3x+2| in my post above? In that it's +(3x+2)+(3x+2) wherever 3x+23x+2 is positive/non-negative, and (3x+2)-(3x+2) whenever 3x+23x+2 is negative?

If not, lets look at the RHS instead. Do you see that x=x|x|=x for x0x\geq 0, and x-x for x<0x<0? Then 2x+1=2x+12|x|+1 = 2x+1 for x0x\geq 0 and 2(x)+12(-x)+1 for x<0 x<0?

The reason this helps is because then you can search for solutions in regions that define where the functions are positive and negative. Let's start from the far left, what do the LHS and the RHS look like if x<2/3x < -2/3?

P.S. I'm about to head out so I may not be able to respond again until later. If anyone would like to continue where I've left off, please feel free, otherwise I'll respond when I return.

Can i just ask by LHS you mean g (x) and by right hand side you mean f(x) right? Sorry im so bad at this but appreciate your time alot mate if you can expand it a bit for me please
Original post by Alen.m
Can i just ask by LHS you mean g (x) and by right hand side you mean f(x) right? Sorry im so bad at this but appreciate your time alot mate if you can expand it a bit for me please

But LHS, I literally mean anything to the left of the equals sign as written. So it would be 3x+2|3x+2| (which you called f(x) in your working) and the RHS is 2x+12|x|+1 (which you called g(x) in your working).
Reply 6
But LHS, I literally mean anything to the left of the equals sign as written. So it would be 3x+2|3x+2| (which you called f(x) in your working) and the RHS is 2x+12|x|+1 (which you called g(x) in your working).

How about this: pick any point in a given range where the point of intersection occurs and put it in the equation to find the sign of it? Would this work?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest