The Student Room Group

Jeremy Corbyn Won’t Attend 100th Anniversary Of Battle Of Jutland

Pretty appualling really...

In line with their usual practice, Corbyn’s office refuse to comment on his holiday plans, although his friends say he has subjected himself to an exhausting schedule of events, rallies and speeches ever since he became leader.

I couldn't care how exhausted he is, if he can't manage, why even be the Labour leader!

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/jeremy-corbyn-battle-of-jutland-world-war-one-100th-anniversary-david-cameron_uk_574715d3e4b03e9b9ed57dd5?utm_hp_ref=uk

Scroll to see replies

Unfortunately I'd be surprised if even half this forum knew anything about the Battle of Jutland without Google. I'd happily be proven wrong in this case.
Reply 2
Haven't a ****ing clue what this is but I can think of a million better things he could do than celebrate a 100 year old battle
The article goes onto say the shadow defense secretary and possibly deputy leader are both attending instead, and Corbyn has announced he will be present at the remembrance of the battle of the Somme. Party Leaders can't make every event, simple as, I don't see the issue.
As Malcom Tucker said. "These were the poor ****ers who gave everything so you could play at running the country"
Original post by Mathemagicien
The Battle of Jutland was a strategic British victory, but we lost twice as many men and tonnage than the Germans, despite heavily outnumbering them. It was one of the first battles between steel ships, IIRC, which is why it is significant

It also highlighted a fatal flaw in our ship design, which was also responsible for the sinking of HMS Hood 75 years and 2 days ago with heavy losses.

There has also been two previous steel battles
(edited 7 years ago)
Maybe he doesn't want to glorify war?
It was one of those battles where almost everything went wrong for the Royal Navy & yet it was the Germans who never made another serious venture out into the open sea again. They mutinied rather than face the RN again.
Is it really that hard to turn up to an event?
Original post by Jewish EviI
Maybe he doesn't want to glorify war?

Because remembering the deaths of almost 7,000 UK sailors is really glorifying anything.

But with a username like your's I doubt anyone will take you seriously anyway.
Original post by 2016_GCSE
Is it really that hard to turn up to an event?

Have you seen the diary of any leader of the opposition? It's no holiday.
Not appropriate in my opinion
Original post by Kay_Winters

Surely he could turn up for an hour or two & complete some work on the journey.

Have you seen the diary of PM, makes leader of the opposition appear a holiday?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hachik0

In line with their usual practice, Corbyn’s office refuse to comment on his holiday plans, although his friends say he has subjected himself to an exhausting schedule of events, rallies and speeches ever since he became leader.

Yeah, I mean, putting current issues before things that happened a century ago? Only someone with really warped priorities would do that, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yet he finds the time to turn up to support the idiots of the stop the war coalition.....

Face it, if it was a memorial for some IRA car bombers or an event to brown nose Hamas terrorists he'd be the first one to arrive and the last to leave. At least if the entirely of his career is anything to go by.....
(edited 7 years ago)
He is just the gift that keeps on giving. :biggrin:

The £3 I stumped up to help elect him was the best money I ever spent. Compare that to a drink at Starbucks!

The only problem is that my email gets clogged up with requests from his supporters to join bs lefty campaigns. :wink:

The best thing about him is that the more he runs Labour into the ground the longer it will take for them to recover. I used to think two elections, but we could be talking three the ways things are going under him. :smile:
Reply 17
The article goes onto say the shadow defense secretary and possibly deputy leader are both attending instead, and Corbyn has announced he will be present at the remembrance of the battle of the Somme. Party Leaders can't make every event, simple as, I don't see the issue.

Indeed, it's just people and the media scraping the bottom of the barrel again to attack Corbyn, him not going to every single WWI commemoration event is not news.
Are we remembering the deaths of over 6000 servicemen or celebrating a tactical f*ck-up that still managed to scare the Germans away?
Original post by Jammy Duel
It also highlighted a fatal flaw in our ship design, which was also responsible for the sinking of HMS Hood 75 years and 2 days ago with heavy losses.

Not sure that is true. Hood wasn't laid down until after Jutland and she was re-designed in response to the battle, then partially reconstructed again around 1930. It certainly wasn't believed in 1941 that the flaws present at Jutland were still present in any serving ship, and to this day it isn't known for sure why Hood exploded.

Probably the Jutland explosions had nothing to do with ship design, and were down to unstable shell propellant and poor handling thereof.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending