The Student Room Group

BY1 AND BY2 WJEC resit exams

Hey all, how's the revision going?
I was wondering if anyone has been given any predictions this year for the exams as I've had nothing suggested by my teacher as of yet.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How was it?
Original post by Iamjos
How was it?

I thought it was okay, question with the graphs and haemolysis was the only tricky bit. Loved the essays and question on water! What about you?
Hi, I was wondering what did you guys put for the haemolysis bit? It took me so long to answer that question!
Reply 4
Original post by steph100698
Hi, I was wondering what did you guys put for the haemolysis bit? It took me so long to answer that question!

I think I wrote about it being in a hypotonic solution and the direction of water potential by osmosis. I can't really remember the question.

For the question on the next page about describing the sight of the cell, I wrote about the cell losing water by Osmosis and plasmolysing - cell vacuole shrinking in size, cell contents shrinking and the cell membrane moving away from the cell wall.
Reply 5
Hi, do you know for the enzyme question, was the substrate found in the air?
Original post by Mikail246
Hi, do you know for the enzyme question, was the substrate found in the air?

It said about the enzyme needing air, so I mentioned that the enzyme was an oxidase one and so needed oxygen to undergo the reaction.. clearly I just made it up
Anyone know what the Golgi body question was. And was it mitochondria or chloroplast in that micrograph???
Reply 8
Original post by LydiaIsaacs
Anyone know what the Golgi body question was. And was it mitochondria or chloroplast in that micrograph???

I put Mitochondria. Aaaaaaand for the Golgi question I put Lysosome (Digestive Enzyme).
Hey what did you guys put for the microscope question of the plant cell? There were 6 different answers? I messed up badly on the question bc i didnt know if it was the part of a plant eg the chloroplast of the full organelle
Original post by MrHarry
I put Mitochondria. Aaaaaaand for the Golgi question I put Lysosome (Digestive Enzyme).

I put lysosome, but apparently plants do not have lysosomes!
Reply 11
I put lysosome, but apparently plants do not have lysosomes!

Hmm... I wonder what it is then.
Original post by MrHarry
Hmm... I wonder what it is then.

proteins according to my biology teacher.
Reply 13
proteins according to my biology teacher.

Riiiiight... Ah well, only one mark
Original post by MrHarry
Riiiiight... Ah well, only one mark

it was 6 or so for me, because it then went on to talk about how it secretes the product, and I continued to suggest that it was lysosome!!
Reply 15
it was 6 or so for me, because it then went on to talk about how it secretes the product, and I continued to suggest that it was lysosome!!

Is that the question which required you to talk about secreting vesicles by pinching off the ends, etc?
Original post by MrHarry
Is that the question which required you to talk about secreting vesicles by pinching off the ends, etc?

Yes, I talked about exocytosis and the vesicle containing 'lysosomes' fusing with the plasma membrane
Reply 17
Yes, I talked about exocytosis and the vesicle containing 'lysosomes' fusing with the plasma membrane

Yeees! Me too.
For the Golgi question I talked about glycoproteins, but the on the micrograph I couldn't tell if it was chloroplast or mitochondria, I went with mitochondria just because there were so many and I remember some of them being more circular, which mitochondria can be if cut on different planes. Still not sure though
Hi guys.

I am resitting my BY2 paper! i didn't resit the BY1 paper tho but out of curiosity, which essays were given on the BY1 paper this year? & anyone have any ideas on which essays it may be this year:[ my essay really let me down last year (got 5/10)

Quick Reply

Latest