The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Current Sussex student ready to answer your questions!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hi,
My daughter has got an unconditional to study biology with research placement. Hope you can help with a couple of questions. Do you know much about the research placement, she thinks it's for a few weeks in the summer holidays and if she could stay longer in her campas accommodation. Also she was unsure of what accommodation to chose, she liked Brightlem and Lewes court the one without ensuite. Thanks
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 41
Original post by Uni mom2
Hi,
My daughter has got an unconditional to study biology with research placement. Hope you can help with a couple of questions. Do you know much about the research placement, she thinks it's for a few weeks in the summer holidays and if she could stay longer in her campas accommodation. Also she was unsure of what accommodation to chose, she liked Brightlem and Lewes court the one without ensuite. Thanks

Hi!
Hrm I haven't heard much about a research placement that takes place in the summer holidays if I'm honest but I'm sure the University can provide accommodation for the summer holidays however she will not be staying in the same room. Students that stay over the summer are generally allocated a room in East Slope.
In terms of accommodation both Lewes Court and Brighthelm are nice. Lewes court have a bigger kitchen with more seating but Brighthelm residences come with a washing machine!
Hope I have helped!
Reply 42
Original post by Hefty11
1. Do mushrooms grow in the showers of East Slope?
2. Do people generally get accepted into courses easily? even if you get DDD and the requirements are CCC?
3. Do people get their first accommodation choice? I chose Park houses as my first accommodation.
4. Do foundation year students get treated like undergraduates? Like lectures etc.

Hi Hefty11,
I have no idea about the mushroom situation in the East Slope showers but a bit of bleach would sort that problem out if it did occur.
I don't think a course will accept DDD if the requirements are CCC they will most likely accept CCD or BDD in my opinion.
Unconditional offers generally get their first choice and everyone else gets within their top three I believe.
As far as I'm aware foundation year students are treated exactly the same :smile:
Hope I have helped
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by KayaRose
Hi!
Hrm I haven't heard much about a research placement that takes place in the summer holidays if I'm honest but I'm sure the University can provide accommodation for the summer holidays however she will not be staying in the same room. Students that stay over the summer are generally allocated a room in East Slope.
In terms of accommodation both Lewes Court and Brighthelm are nice. Lewes court have a bigger kitchen with more seating but Brighthelm residences come with a washing machine!
Hope I have helped!

Thanks for your help. Apparently the research placements are when you get to work on various research going on in the holidays, these placements are paid and don't think there are many of them. We haven't got much info about them, sure she will find out more when she's at Sussex. With regards to accommodation which out of the two would you say is the most social?
Reply 44
Hi kayla,

got a few more questions,

how much money roughly do you need to survive at university, like i applied to student finance / maintenance loan highest amount or something.
Also, is park houses sociable?
Does first year undergraduate really count?
If you don't like ur housemates, can u request to move room?
Reply 45
Original post by Uni mom2
Thanks for your help. Apparently the research placements are when you get to work on various research going on in the holidays, these placements are paid and don't think there are many of them. We haven't got much info about them, sure she will find out more when she's at Sussex. With regards to accommodation which out of the two would you say is the most social?

Oh that sounds fabulous! I would say that Lewes Court is more sociable but it really depends on the housemates.
Reply 46
Original post by Hefty11
Hi kayla,

got a few more questions,

how much money roughly do you need to survive at university, like i applied to student finance / maintenance loan highest amount or something.
Also, is park houses sociable?
Does first year undergraduate really count?
If you don't like ur housemates, can u request to move room?

Hiya! I would say budget around 100 per month for food and social stuff. You may find that the loan only just covers your rent (unless you are getting either the first generation scholar or academic bursary from Sussex) so try to get a part time job over the summer.
Park houses are sociable yes but it really depends on your housemates. You can definitely switch rooms if there are other rooms available and the earlier you do it the easier it is I believe.
First year undergraduate doesn't count for psychology at least but I would still say you need to work quite hard as if you don't pass then you can't move onto second year!
Hi Kayla, i'd like to know your opinions on Lewes Court and Park house, like which one would you pick from those two and why?

i've picked Brighthelm as my first choice but its just i dont think im going to get my first choice so im trying to think of what to pick for my second and third choice. Im hoping to get somewhere social as i spent my last two years in college being an anti-social loner and i want to change those ways and be the confident person i used to be a few years back, im also hoping to get somewhere where i can do a bit of studies and doesnt have far to walk.

(i cant think of any questions right now but i'll message you some more when i can think of them)

Thank you~ :3
Reply 48
What's the girls to boy ratio in your opinion? Is it mostly guy's at the university?
Original post by Hefty11
What's the girls to boy ratio in your opinion? Is it mostly guy's at the university?

If I remember correctly, it's more girls than guys, I think you can check on which?
So I'm making my firm and insurance decisions to study Psychology Bsc and the only thing that worries me about Sussex is that it won't be challenging enough. Any comments would be super helpful
Reply 51
does anyone know how they allocate accommodation? Like how do they mix it up.
A student told me on the open day that they tend to put everyone who has had a gap year together (i took a gap year) but i don't really want that, should i put that as a comment on my application?
Can you put what floor you want e.g. not ground floor as a comment too?
do they mix people on different courses also?
What would you say is the best hall for someone who does not like partying that much
Reply 52
Original post by Bobbs
does anyone know how they allocate accommodation? Like how do they mix it up.
A student told me on the open day that they tend to put everyone who has had a gap year together (i took a gap year) but i don't really want that, should i put that as a comment on my application?
Can you put what floor you want e.g. not ground floor as a comment too?
do they mix people on different courses also?
What would you say is the best hall for someone who does not like partying that much

Hiya I think it's just random if I'm honest. I live in a flat with foundation students, gap year students and straight from school students. You can't specify which floor you want no. Each flat generally has a mix of people doing different courses.
I think maybe Brighthelm or Lewes Court ?
Reply 53
Original post by fudgeltwattle
So I'm making my firm and insurance decisions to study Psychology Bsc and the only thing that worries me about Sussex is that it won't be challenging enough. Any comments would be super helpful

Heya!
Psychology at Sussex is rather challenging don't worry. Plenty of lab reports to get stuck in to. The actual course content will be pretty similar wherever you go due to the BPS accreditation specification. The course content itself isn't all that challenging (with the exception of statistics) but it is interesting!
Reply 54
Original post by Hefty11

In psychology it's mostly girls. Walking around campus however you will see pretty even numbers!
Reply 55
Original post by kasumikat
Hi Kayla, i'd like to know your opinions on Lewes Court and Park house, like which one would you pick from those two and why?

i've picked Brighthelm as my first choice but its just i dont think im going to get my first choice so im trying to think of what to pick for my second and third choice. Im hoping to get somewhere social as i spent my last two years in college being an anti-social loner and i want to change those ways and be the confident person i used to be a few years back, im also hoping to get somewhere where i can do a bit of studies and doesnt have far to walk.

(i cant think of any questions right now but i'll message you some more when i can think of them)

Thank you~ :3

Hi there!
Park houses will probably be the most social however as I have said before it depends on who you are in a flat with. The park houses are also more centrally located on campus with the library being only a couple minutes away. They are also nearer to the train station.
Lewes court is nicer in my opinion. It's more of a homely feel and I imagine it is quieter as you have half as many housemates as in the park houses. However it is a little bit further away from the library and the shop.
I lived in a Park House this year and next year I am living in Lewes Court.
I hope I have helped a bit!
What did your fresher's week involve? and out of 10, how enjoyable was it? Thanks!
Original post by KayaRose
Heya!
Psychology at Sussex is rather challenging don't worry. Plenty of lab reports to get stuck in to. The actual course content will be pretty similar wherever you go due to the BPS accreditation specification. The course content itself isn't all that challenging (with the exception of statistics) but it is interesting!

Thanks for your answer! I'm going on a campus tour next week so hopefully I'll get a feel of the place too :wink:
Original post by fudgeltwattle
Thanks for your answer! I'm going on a campus tour next week so hopefully I'll get a feel of the place too :wink:

Oh is there an open day next week?
Reply 59
Original post by johnd45
What did your fresher's week involve? and out of 10, how enjoyable was it? Thanks!

Hi!
So I purchased the Rox wristband (it's totally not worth it) so I went to a couple of their freshers events. The student union also puts on events every year and last year sadly they weren't that well attended or that good (and they were expensive) an exception was the pier party which is where the uni hired the pier and we went on all the rides. That was pretty fun!
I also got the famous freshers flu which obviously wasn't that fun.
I would advise waiting until you get to uni to buy any event tickets. See what your housemates are doing.
I did enjoy freshers though 8/10!
Hope I have helped

Quick Reply

Latest