The Student Room Group

I want to start playing golf, I need advice.

I hate watching golf, but I would like to start playing it because I'm wanting to start a new hobby and it looks really relaxing. I'm a bit worried though because I am a female in her 20s and all of the golf clubs that are near me are very male 50 plus dominated. Where is a good place to get started?

Also where can I find out about what all the different clubs are for?
Most golf clubs offer lessons with semi-pro golfers. There are a lot of women of all ages who play golf.
Original post by Powersymphonia
I hate watching golf, but I would like to start playing it because I'm wanting to start a new hobby and it looks really relaxing. I'm a bit worried though because I am a female in her 20s and all of the golf clubs that are near me are very male 50 plus dominated. Where is a good place to get started?

Also where can I find out about what all the different clubs are for?

You start from a driving range
keep your shoulders square.
Reply 4
no comments
Reply 5
Well I play golf with a lot of old people and I'm 17, it's nice to interact with them and they can give you some pretty nice tips to improving but you should really look to start at a driving range for the first few months which is full of all ages, when you go to a driving range you can get an introduction it was £50 near me but she gave it for free and explained everything… how to stand, how to aim, how to swing, what each club does, how to hold them, etc…saves the hassle of buying it all considering you don't even know what you need.. Looking at the difference in brands and their performance is also important because they're expensive but that's the next level stuff lol I'm still not quite there myself
I'm an avid snooker player and my best mate is a semi-pro golfer and we both agree, technique is everything in games like this. Watch a tonne of instructional vids on YouTube and read articles.

Probably best off sticking to a driving range and practicing your technique. When you can hit the ball well and consistently control the distance and direction with different clubs, then try your hand at a proper course. With a driving range as well there are usually no fees or membership required and you usually put a few quid into a machine to dispense a bucket of balls, that's it. Paying to play on a full course on the other hand, can get pretty pricey.
If my husband is anything to go by, golf is anything but relaxing! I suggest, like many others have, to try it out at a driving range and get a couple of beginner lessons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i play golf occasionally with clients and if am trying to get my advertising into the clubhouse
and well i could barely play until a client advised me to see his coach and mentioned his name over the phone and well i got 3 months of free lessons
(i don't think they were free, i think he paid for them but i daren't ask as he's a good customer)
Original post by jamesthehustler
i play golf occasionally with clients and if am trying to get my advertising into the clubhouse
and well i could barely play until a client advised me to see his coach and mentioned his name over the phone and well i got 3 months of free lessons
(i don't think they were free, i think he paid for them but i daren't ask as he's a good customer)

****ing A+ advice m8

Quick Reply

Latest