The Student Room Group

AS AQA Computer Science 2016 Revision Help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
What revision methods are best for getting a decent grade in this subject?
Original post by VivianaC
What revision methods are best for getting a decent grade in this subject?

im in the same position as you
Original post by VivianaC
Does anyone know where to find additional practice exercises for the Monster Program in Java? Apart from those that AQA have released...

AQA computing wiki books for the old spec

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am a bit stuck on analogue/digital conversion. The spec says "Describe the principles of operation of : an analogue to digital converter (ADC) ; a digital to analogue converter (DAC)" but the textbook doesn't seem to have this ?
Reply 24
Original post by DibbyDabby
I am a bit stuck on analogue/digital conversion. The spec says "Describe the principles of operation of : an analogue to digital converter (ADC) ; a digital to analogue converter (DAC)" but the textbook doesn't seem to have this ?

The description is pretty much in the name. An ADC coverts analogue sound into digital bit signals that the computer can interpret. (Eg: a microphone). then vice versa for the Digital to analogue, Digital bit signals ---> analogue sound (Speaker). I doubt they would ask in depth, however its to do with voltage and time . The signals are produced differently at different voltages and this is determined via the time period.
Original post by mahmzo
I doubt they would ask in depth, however its to do with voltage and time . The signals are produced differently at different voltages and this is determined via the time period.

Thanks, in more detail how does this work ?
Reply 26
Original post by DibbyDabby
Thanks, in more detail how does this work ?

Message me in about an Hour I will send you my notes of this topic. cba to explain it lol. We have about a month till the exam though. You have enough time. I am really aiming for an A or even better 100 UMS lol. Computer science is not hard (The theory part). You just need to remember a lot of steps in stuff.....(CSMA,Fetch decode, stored program concept... blah blah blah haha).
Can somebody help me with CSMA if it was a 6 marker?
Is this for the new spec from 2015+
or the old spec.
I'm taking the old spec comp1, comp2, comp3 this year.
So if anyone else is also doing old spec, we can revise together and exchange notes xD
Original post by KnightCode
Is this for the new spec from 2015+
or the old spec.
I'm taking the old spec comp1, comp2, comp3 this year.
So if anyone else is also doing old spec, we can revise together and exchange notes xD

New spec
Original post by Bradley99
Can somebody help me with CSMA if it was a 6 marker?

Is CMSA in AS spec?? I haven't seen it lol
It's such as shame that big educational publishers like CGP haven't cashed in on this potential goldmine of producing GOOD quality AS/GCSE Computer Science textbooks! So far, Hodder Education have released a sub-standard load of waffle for the AS/A2 Level Computer Science AQA Specification. It is literally a pain in the arse to use and it does more harm than good - Goes off on tangents from the specification. Even the so called "revision guide" is a pile of absolute nonsense.

What I'm going to do between now and half term is to go through the specification and write laser focused notes on the subject using the old mark schemes and also from other resources.

Completely frustrating considering how much content is actually in this course and the very fact that there is a shortage computer science teachers surely demands higher quality resources for students to revise from!

I hope I'm not the only person who holds these views!
Reply 32
Original post by CrazyFool229
It's such as shame that big educational publishers like CGP haven't cashed in on this potential goldmine of producing GOOD quality AS/GCSE Computer Science textbooks! So far, Hodder Education have released a sub-standard load of waffle for the AS/A2 Level Computer Science AQA Specification. It is literally a pain in the arse to use and it does more harm than good - Goes off on tangents from the specification. Even the so called "revision guide" is a pile of absolute nonsense.

What I'm going to do between now and half term is to go through the specification and write laser focused notes on the subject using the old mark schemes and also from other resources.

Completely frustrating considering how much content is actually in this course and the very fact that there is a shortage computer science teachers surely demands higher quality resources for students to revise from!

I hope I'm not the only person who holds these views!

I bought the Bob Reeves CS book and it was aload. Considering CS is supposed to be one of the hardest a levels, there are hardly any resources.

I might be starting a WhatsApp GC so PM Me if you want to join. We can discuss stuff.
Original post by mahmzo
I bought the Bob Reeves CS book and it was aload. Considering CS is supposed to be one of the hardest a levels, there are hardly any resources.

I might be starting a WhatsApp GC so PM Me if you want to join. We can discuss stuff.

I bought Bob Reeves CS book as well and it seems the most accurate to the spec, compared to others... How's your programming going? What language are coding in?
Reply 34
Original post by brodingoson
I bought Bob Reeves CS book as well and it seems the most accurate to the spec, compared to others... How's your programming going? What language are coding in?

I am ready for this years exams, I have started on my project for next year. I code in Python at school but I also know C++
Original post by mahmzo
I am ready for this years exams, I have started on my project for next year. I code in Python at school but I also know C++

Yeah coding in Python, what are you doing your project on because don't AQA gives us guidelines on what to do it on?
Original post by mahmzo

What do you think the hardest coding questions will be? Like saving the game etc.
Reply 37
What do you think the hardest coding questions will be? Like saving the game etc.

I am doing like brief ideas at the moment short programs. I will start my main one in summer.

Also yeah:

Save Game
Scoring System
Multiplayer (Alternate between player one and two)
Make the game Dynamic / extend the board.
Original post by mahmzo
I am doing like brief ideas at the moment short programs. I will start my main one in summer.

Also yeah:

Save Game
Scoring System
Multiplayer (Alternate between player one and two)
Make the game Dynamic / extend the board.

Ahhhh, how would a scoring system work? Because wouldn't you always end up with the same amount of points at the end of game?
Or you thinking of implementing like -10 points for a miss or somit?
Reply 39
Ahhhh, how would a scoring system work? Because wouldn't you always end up with the same amount of points at the end of game?
Or you thinking of implementing like -10 points for a miss or somit?

yeah, if you miss you lose a certain amount, and for each ship hit I did it in a dictionary e.g {"A":6} so if A is hit it gives 6 points etc. Or you can randomise it.

Do you know of anything else that people have not done yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending