The Student Room Group

I feel repulsed, sick and nauseated; listen to what a TSR user had to say.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 999tigger
It says age.

I know, was just adding a bit of lightness to the situation. Sorry. :hide:
Depends which unelected government. Democracy is not the light, the truth, the way.

During the founding of the USA this was a constant issue. They fought for independence partly because of not being represented but then when it came to designing their own democracy they found a lot of problems. It is not a perfect system nor is it universally superior.
Original post by KoreanSpammer
I know, was just adding a bit of lightness to the situation. Sorry. :hide:

Nah ignore me.
Original post by 999tigger
I just asked you to link it, that was all. Its normal good manners to do so in the first place.

They might be unelected, but its this country that voted to give them the power to make laws that we have to comply with. They might not be directly elected, but they do have a mandate from the governments of each member state. Each state gets to contribute towards the makeup of the Commission as well. I cant see why the poster cant be perfectly happy with the arrangement as is. If it was unnaceptable then we shouldnt have joined, but we voted as a nation to do so.

I was just more asking for your thoughts. :colonhash:

It's inadvisable to link it if you want your thread to remain out of the recycle bin.
Manners have nothing to do with it when that becomes the case.

We voted to join the EU in 1973 to have access to the single market I believe.
Things change; things are no longer the same as they were 43 years ago.

No, the country has a representative in the European Commission who is then bound to act in the interests of the EU, not the UK. (Aren't they bound by oath?)

The other voted representatives in the European Parliament now cannot propose any legislation; they have no legislative initiative.
If this argument is all about whether or not to remain in the EU, surely the whole Brexit/Bremain thing sorts out whether or not the EU is democratic?
Original post by l1lvink
If this argument is all about whether or not to remain in the EU, surely the whole Brexit/Bremain thing sorts out whether or not the EU is democratic?

It's about the fact that someone believed the EU was undemocratic, but was perfectly happy with it.

The Brexit/Bremain thing was just the context of the conversation / of what he said.

Edit: And no, it hasn't been, because the representatives working in our interest can't propose legislation/have no legislative initiative, and this is working on the premise that the EU has changed since the EU referendum back in 1973 (back then it was called the European Economic Community, otherwise the EEC back then.)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by XcitingStuart
It's about the fact that someone believed the EU was undemocratic, but was perfectly happy with it.

The Brexit/Bremain thing was just the context of the conversation / of what he said.

Edit: And no, it hasn't been, because the representatives working in our interest can't propose legislation/have no legislative initiative, and this is working on the premise that the EU has changed since the EU referendum back in 1973 (back then it was called the European Economic Community, otherwise the EEC back then.)

Apologies for misunderstanding the scenario, however, to address your edit, I meant that the outcome of the Brexit/Bremain vote is a democratic procedure.

As for the O,OP believing that the EU was undemocratic and being happy about it, I have always thought that the best way to rule a country is through a 'good dictator' that listens to their people.
Obviously a bad dictator isn't good for a country (everyone bar the dictator themselves seems to know this), but see, in an elected government there are always going to be unhappy sides which prevent 'good' laws from being passed. And often times, when both parties want something beneficial to happen, but in different ways, that idea will just be blocked, whereas a 'good dictator' can just pass that law.
That's what you call a straight up dumb ass
I'm living in a country that has a government that I didn't elect, I voted for Labour.
Original post by Powersymphonia
I'm living in a country that has a government that I didn't elect, I voted for Labour.

But the majority didn't vote for labour. :colonhash:

So don't take the piss.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Democracy is flawed, to say otherwise is to be naive. It just happens, as has been said, to be the least worst form of government.

The EU, even if undemocratic by some standards, cannot be compared to the truly undemocratic regimes elsewhere. I'd actually trust EU commissioners more than I would some so called elected governments.

Democracy is ultimately a value. Its existence doesn't make anything better or worse - it all depends on how people use their power. To advocate democracy just because it's "democracy" doesn't hold any merit in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending