The Student Room Group

2016 OCR Biology A Breadth - Unofficial Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Screenshot_20160526-225014.png i reckon 6600% is right
Original post by DoubleDoors
Does anyone disagree with my logic here for the evidence one on the back page? Can't remember the precise wording or letters attributed to the evidence.

Evidence that it's an active process
- Metabolic inhibitors stop translocation (i.e. it requires energy to take place, poisons prevent this energy production and therefore it will stop).
- High temperatures stop/slow the process (requires carrier proteins to load the phloem).

Evidence that it's from source to sink
- Whichever one said they import the assimilates was probably a good shout.
- T'other one.

Irrelevant (i.e. not written in answer)
- **** the aphids, they prove cock all. (it only told you they can be used to analyse sap in the phloem vessel).
- The one about movement from leaf into vessel (sure, it goes into a vessel, nothing about the net movement in this context is suggested though).

roast me

Yep agree

I definitely did not write E or F
(edited 7 years ago)
answers to multiple choice

Q. about similarity between eukaryote and prokaryote = ribosomes

Q. about stage of cell shown = metaphase

q. about inhalation = C

Q. about pathogens was athletes foot

q. about 'how are polynucleotide chains held together' = phosphodiester bonds between sugar and phosphate groups maintain the sugar phosphate backbone and the chains are held together by hydrogen bonds in base pairing. A - T , C - G. there are 3 hydrogen bonds between C and G and 2 between A and T. These keep the chains together.
answers to multiple choice questions

the question asking what a eukaryote and prokaryote have in common was 'ribosomes'

the answer the the stage the cell was in was 'metaphase'

the question about pathogens was athletes foot

the question about inhilation, the answer was C
What about the fake cell with the extra cellular fluid?
Original post by biologynerd1789
answers to multiple choice

Q. about similarity between eukaryote and prokaryote = ribosomes

Q. about stage of cell shown = metaphase

q. about inhalation = C

Q. about pathogens was athletes foot

q. about 'how are polynucleotide chains held together' = phosphodiester bonds between sugar and phosphate groups maintain the sugar phosphate backbone and the chains are held together by hydrogen bonds in base pairing. A - T , C - G. there are 3 hydrogen bonds between C and G and 2 between A and T. These keep the chains together.

Hmm I put anaphase... probably was metaphase though
Original post by Kate12345567

literally no clue I guessed it looool
Reply 107
For the ways in which zoos can help in preservation efforts, i said to educate the public to make them aware of the issues surrounding the rhino. Do you think this would be worthy of credit?
Original post by Kate12345567

Wtf even was that question
Original post by Helensla98
Wtf even was that question

Ikr, apparently biologists shove condoms in beakers full of iodine for a living nowadays.
Reply 110
What was the answer for the roots getting water from soil with low water potential?
Root hairs with further extentions to the norm to increase surface area and overall expoure to the soil along with a high water potential in the cell to increase the water potential gradient and draw water inwards
I think it was 2 marks
Original post by 0hlwalker
Root hairs with further extentions to the norm to increase surface area and overall expoure to the soil along with a high water potential in the cell to increase the water potential gradient and draw water inwards

If the water potential is low I don't think that the length of the hair will matter as it doesn't really affect the water potential gradient. Also, surely the cell should have a lower water potential so that the surroundings have a higher water potential and therefore water moves in by osmosis?
Reply 114
Original post by Merpx3
What was the answer for the roots getting water from soil with low water potential?
I said mineral ions are actively pumped in to the root hair to lower the water potential( so it has an even lower water potential than the soil), and as a result, water would move from the soil into the root hair from high to low water potential, not sure if it's right tho
I don't know mate, I related it to ex situ conservation, I imagine that would be the safest option, because they said that captive breeding didn't work out in the question.
Original post by HarrisonGCSE
For the ways in which zoos can help in preservation efforts, i said to educate the public to make them aware of the issues surrounding the rhino. Do you think this would be worthy of credit?
I asked my teacher vaguely after the exam about this question, because the plant is in salt marshes, the roots must have a way to get rid of the salt that is in solution in the waters + what you mentioned maybe
Original post by 0hlwalker
Not really sure how that would work, but surely the water would only move up the xylem due to adhesion to the xylem walls and cohesion between water molecules, so being a passive process therefore no energy required? This I'm guessing now, but potentially you could link it to transpiration?

Original post by Mia66
I said mineral ions are actively pumped in to the root hair to lower the water potential( so it has an even lower water potential than the soil), and as a result, water would move from the soil into the root hair from high to low water potential, not sure if it's right tho
Original post by Mia66

I said exactly the same. Not sure if it's right too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mike1221
I don't know mate, I related it to ex situ conservation, I imagine that would be the safest option, because they said that captive breeding didn't work out in the question.

Original post by HarrisonGCSE

I put that the zoos could raise money and awareness for the rhinos and then maybe they could use the money to keep an eye on the rhinos and give them medical support if they need it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending