The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Biology Unit 1 26th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by freeman9765
Other past papers have been a lot easier than this paper, so I think it'll still be 42-45 for an A and 52/53 for full UMS

Hopefully!:redface:
I found last year's paper much easier than this year's paper, considering how this paper had a lot of suggest questions and, if I remember correctly, no describe questions.

I think the grade boundaries will be similar to last year's where the A grade is around 42-43.
Original post by AcademicDope
I found last year's paper much easier than this year's paper, considering how this paper had a lot of suggest questions and, if I remember correctly, no describe questions.

I think the grade boundaries will be similar to last year's where the A grade is around 42-43.

There was hardly any suggest questions, other than the milk one. There were many describe questions though such as how you breathe out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone created an Unoffficial Mark scheme by any chance?? If so, please quote it to me cheers :wink:
Reply 324
For the lactose conclusions im worried i didnt use the right words i said:

Lactose-free milk doesn't completely rid of the symptoms of lactose intolerance
Lactose-free milk causes diarroeha as the main symptom compared to untreated milk
Untreated milk causes bloating as the main symptom of lactose intolerance

Is this right?
Reply 325
and for the FEV1 i also used general statements as well as using the date such as:

Mean FEV1 is higher in people who stopped smoking than Mean FEV1 in smokers
The mean FEV1 decreased at a slower rate after a year in people who stopped smoking compared to the mean FEV1 which decreased rapidly in people who continued to smoke

and i used the data for other stuff which i cant remember

This right?
Original post by Anam
For the lactose conclusions im worried i didnt use the right words i said:

Lactose-free milk doesn't completely rid of the symptoms of lactose intolerance
Lactose-free milk causes diarroeha as the main symptom compared to untreated milk
Untreated milk causes bloating as the main symptom of lactose intolerance

Is this right?

Yep! I personally included figures like bloating is 3x more severe with untreated milk but yours is fine

I'm sorry to burst everyone's bubble but only resits sat this paper, the grade boundaries will be sky high because there's no AS students to pull the boundaries down

49- A
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 327
Original post by Bennyab
Yep! I personally included figures like bloating is 3x more severe with untreated milk but yours is fine

I'm sorry to burst everyone's bubble but only resits sat this paper, the grade boundaries will be sky high because there's no AS students to pull the boundaries down

49- A

Thanks! i Hope i get all three marks for that! but tbh i don't think the grade boundaries will be that high i think about 45-A
Original post by Bennyab

49- A

But all the June papers, e.g. june13/june 12 were all resits dont forget as the bio 1 exams always used to be sat in January. And from what ive seen the June series dont have significantly higher grade boundaries than their January counterparts.. I reckon tbh it'll realistically be around 38 for a B and 42 for an A
Original post by hugo13
But all the June papers, e.g. june13/june 12 were all resits dont forget as the bio 1 exams always used to be sat in January. And from what ive seen the June series dont have significantly higher grade boundaries than their January counterparts.. I reckon tbh it'll realistically be around 38 for a B and 42 for an A

Yeah but the AS individuals sat the exams them years too, but the introduction of the new spec means only resits are sitting it, do you get me or nah?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh but im aware of some schools still doing the old spec for AS...
guys, for the why the ph remained constant, I put because all of the active sites of the lipase enzymes have been occupied,so no enzyme substrate complexes are formed, so no more triglycerides are being hydrolysed. would this be right ?
Original post by EmmaHarvard
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh but im aware of some schools still doing the old spec for AS...

How? It's not even allowed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jadder1224
guys, for the why the ph remained constant, I put because all of the active sites of the lipase enzymes have been occupied,so no enzyme substrate complexes are formed, so no more triglycerides are being hydrolysed. would this be right ?

Hmm... So you're saying enzyme concentration was the limiting factor? No one really knows what the answer is, it's either between enzyme concentration or triglyceride concentration as the limiting factor. I personally put triglycerides are the limiting factor so no enzyme substrate complexes can be formed, hence pH remains constant but your answer may be correct

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 334
Original post by Bennyab
Hmm... So you're saying enzyme concentration was the limiting factor? No one really knows what the answer is, it's either between enzyme concentration or triglyceride concentration as the limiting factor. I personally put triglycerides are the limiting factor so no enzyme substrate complexes can be formed, hence pH remains constant but your answer may be correct

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same but I saw one guy said decrease in ph denature enzymes so active site change so no E-S complexes formed. :/
Original post by Ordo
Same but I saw one guy said decrease in ph denature enzymes so active site change so no E-S complexes formed. :/

I know but that requires knowledge not given to you in the question, and enzymes required for digestion usually work best in the low PH of the digestive tract, which leads me to thinking that triglyceride is the limiting factor
Reply 336
Original post by Bennyab
I know but that requires knowledge not given to you in the question, and enzymes required for digestion usually work best in the low PH of the digestive tract, which leads me to thinking that triglyceride is the limiting factor

ohh I understand thanks :smile:
I think the question can be interpreted differently, you could interpret it as being more triglycerides than enzymes, so ALL of the active sites are occupied, but you can also interpret it as there being less triglycerides than enzymes, so this would mean that all triglycerides would have run out. Don't know whether this makes sense, haha, but I hope I've got it right.
Original post by haj101
Hopefully!:redface:

Hajj Mubarakah! :biggrin:
Original post by Bennyab
How? It's not even allowed

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some schools are doing old spec for As. I got friends who are resitittin year 12 doin this spec for AS

Quick Reply