The Student Room Group

She suggested we go for drinks

I'm 23 and I know this woman who is 27 and I am crazy about her I really really like her but I never told her I did because when I first met her she was in a serious relationship. Since that relationship ended we started getting really close and talking to each other all the time (we live 2 hours away from each other so it's not always easy to meet up) but then a few months ago we sort of drifted apart due to how busy we both where and not being able to speak or meet up. Anyway a few days ago we started messaging each other again and I decided to just go for it and drop a massive hint that I like her. The conversation went like this:
Me: Would you ever date me?
Her: Oh wow just throw that out there......possibly if you lived near me.
Me: What if I came down to your area then?
Her: If you came down we could definitely go for a drink I'd be up for that.
Me: Really?
Her: Yeah

What does everyone think? Do you think she might actually like me?

Scroll to see replies

well if she really used the word "definitely" that's a good sign.

It's really all the input I can give with the knowledge I have of you two...
Reply 2
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
well if she really used the word "definitely" that's a good sign.

It's really all the input I can give with the knowledge I have of you two...

Well we really get on with each other and were comfortable talking to each other about private matters and after her last relationship ended she started becoming really flirty with me and paying me compliments on the way I looked which she hadn't done before.
Original post by Anonymous
Well we really get on with each other and were comfortable talking to each other about private matters and after her last relationship ended she started becoming really flirty with me and paying me compliments on the way I looked which she hadn't done before.

Okay man it sounds like your on your way, if your really excited about this then that's fine but don't let her see that lol you gotta be super chill when you go for drinks, and if shes 27 then the likelihood of sex on the first date is very high lol good luck my man!
Reply 4
Okay man it sounds like your on your way, if your really excited about this then that's fine but don't let her see that lol you gotta be super chill when you go for drinks, and if shes 27 then the likelihood of sex on the first date is very high lol good luck my man!

Ok. How do I act like I'm not really excited?
Honestly if you're really excited I don't see a reason to hide it.
Reply 6
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Honestly if you're really excited I don't see a reason to hide it.

Could it not put her off?

I doubt it. Why would someone be put off by someone being happy to be around them? Don't do anything cringeworthy, obviously, but it's fine to show enthusiasm.
Reply 8
I would just like to mention as well when I said it to her about me and her dating we where talking on skype and she started to blush which I have never seen her do before.
Reply 9
I doubt it. Why would someone be put off by someone being happy to be around them? Don't do anything cringeworthy, obviously, but it's fine to show enthusiasm.

So just try and act cool and make her laugh stuff like that.
Send a dick pic
So just try and act cool and make her laugh stuff like that.

Yeah, that sounds good.
Yeah, that sounds good.

Thats what I'll do then she has told me that I make her laugh more than anyone else and when I mentioned about me and her dating she started to blush. I assume these along with her suggesting going for a drink are all good signs.
Ok. How do I act like I'm not really excited?

well this can be quite tricky sometimes because guys often show their excitement subconsciously. A big mistake to avoid is giving her too many compliments or putting all the attention on her, what you wanna do is make it seem like your the important one. When you do give a compliment, make it seem genuine and only mention it if she's brought it up someway like "OMG my makeups running off", you then say something like "You don't need that stuff anyway". This aint the best example but you'll have your own opportunities in conversation so keep your ears perked, girls love a good listener too.

Most of this stems form the theory that "nice guys finish last" which is true to a certain degree. I'm not saying act like a d*ck but you need to give the impression that you are just as mature as her and even though your younger, you have just as many good things going for yourself as she does. The main idea here is not to show that you like her more than she likes you because if you do that, it will put her off. Think about this from your perspective, which girls did you desire the most growing up, was it the ones who gave you loads of attention from the start or the ones that barely noticed you?
well this can be quite tricky sometimes because guys often show their excitement subconsciously. A big mistake to avoid is giving her too many compliments or putting all the attention on her, what you wanna do is make it seem like your the important one. When you do give a compliment, make it seem genuine and only mention it if she's brought it up someway like "OMG my makeups running off", you then say something like "You don't need that stuff anyway". This aint the best example but you'll have your own opportunities in conversation so keep your ears perked, girls love a good listener too.

Most of this stems form the theory that "nice guys finish last" which is true to a certain degree. I'm not saying act like a d*ck but you need to give the impression that you are just as mature as her and even though your younger, you have just as many good things going for yourself as she does. The main idea here is not to show that you like her more than she likes you because if you do that, it will put her off. Think about this from your perspective, which girls did you desire the most growing up, was it the ones who gave you loads of attention from the start or the ones that barely noticed you?

WOW that is all great advice thanks. I already feel like I have an advantage in some ways as she has mentioned that she thinks I'm really mature for my age. In regards to the compliments I may have to control myself because even I know that I can pay her a lot of compliments when we talk but then again she does the same back to me.
WOW that is all great advice thanks. I already feel like I have an advantage in some ways as she has mentioned that she thinks I'm really mature for my age. In regards to the compliments I may have to control myself because even I know that I can pay her a lot of compliments when we talk but then again she does the same back to me.

What are you trying to say? :tongue:
What are you trying to say? :tongue:

Learning you are, young paddewan.

One last bit of advice which is actually really helpful on dates is to use the right posture. it's important that you appear relaxed so have your hands down low (or out by your sides), chin up and shoulders back. If your in the kind of chair that you can actually lean back in like your almost sinking in then do that, trust me its gonna make her really comfortable if you appear relaxed the whole time. Also, the speech: you have to speak slow and clear. You don't have to be loud but try not to say words like "umm", "err" or just any sound in general that doesn't mean anything. If you have to stop to think then you just pause and say nothing at all. People of high power like politicians and royalty actually get training for this type of speech, here's a good example you wanna try and talk like the dragons who would probably do extremely well in the pulling game...

[video="youtube;vKFJ_AI3PWA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKFJ_AI3PWA[/video]

I agree; so long as you're not clingy or childish in showing your enthusiasm (I don't mean to say that you would be, just as a precaution), then there's no reason why you shouldn't express your excitement. After all, it's better than acting as though you're not bothered at all! :h::h:
Learning you are, young paddewan.

One last bit of advice which is actually really helpful on dates is to use the right posture. it's important that you appear relaxed so have your hands down low (or out by your sides), chin up and shoulders back. If your in the kind of chair that you can actually lean back in like your almost sinking in then do that, trust me its gonna make her really comfortable if you appear relaxed the whole time. Also, the speech: you have to speak slow and clear. You don't have to be loud but try not to say words like "umm", "err" or just any sound in general that doesn't mean anything. If you have to stop to think then you just pause and say nothing at all. People of high power like politicians and royalty actually get training for this type of speech, here's a good example you wanna try and talk like the dragons who would probably do extremely well in the pulling game...

[video="youtube;vKFJ_AI3PWA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKFJ_AI3PWA[/video]

Thanks for all your great help and advice I just need to get her to agree going out for a drink now so that I can put all this into practice.

Quick Reply