The Student Room Group

How was Edexcel IAL Chemistry Unit 1 WCH01 MAY JUNE 2016 ?

Hi guys
so how was your exam ?
mine went really awesome except i made some really silly mistakes in mcqs
well i'll lose around 8 marks
what did you guys write for helium question and the one in which bromine acts as electrophile ?

Scroll to see replies

Helium has high ionization energy

Paper was easy so minimum i can get is 65

Electrophile i wrote one bromine give 2 electrons to the other one makes it electrophile and some other crap words to make it legit 😀
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
its was okai, it was a bit treakicy tho
Reply 3
Original post by ToxicPhantom007
Hi guys
so how was your exam ?
mine went really awesome except i made some really silly mistakes in mcqs
well i'll lose around 8 marks
what did you guys write for helium question and the one in which bromine acts as electrophile ?

It was okay. I think I lost a bit of marks in MCQ, but it was good. What did u tick for the last mcq on was water molecule tihingy. Helium question was tricky, I think I got that wrong. What did u write for the another method instead of enthalpy of vaporization?
what was the answer to the shell question?
Was it 3p 3s 3s
Original post by Sunethra
It was okay. I think I lost a bit of marks in MCQ, but it was good. What did u tick for the last mcq on was water molecule tihingy. Helium question was tricky, I think I got that wrong. What did u write for the another method instead of enthalpy of vaporization?

i wrote bond dissociation enthalpy? Any chance its correct?
what did you choose for the MCQ question asking about the reforming?
Original post by Sunethra

Enthalpy of atomistaion of carbon because there was C(g) not C (s) on the bottom
What did you guys get for the enthalpy value
Original post by Hamadtype-
What did you guys get for the enthalpy value

-2876 kj mol-1 but i converted it further by dividing by 1000 ****
guysss??? what helium question, can someone remind me what was that question??? I dont remember any helium question tbh!!
Original post by ToxicPhantom007
Enthalpy of atomistaion of carbon because there was C(g) not C (s) on the bottom

YES! that's what I wrote too. Cheers
Original post by Mohamed Nashaat
guysss??? what helium question, can someone remind me what was that question??? I dont remember any helium question tbh!!

The one that says state another thing that helium is suitable for the mass spectrometer other than its unreactive
Reply 13
okay.i have several questions.please help:
mcq(reforming one)
helium suitable for mass spectrometer
the last one (about the gas)
the question where they say evidence why aluminium chloride has more covalent character
the hair style one, why no batteries are needed
Original post by EUSHA
okay.i have several questions.please help:
mcq(reforming one)
helium suitable for mass spectrometer
the last one (about the gas)
the question where they say evidence why aluminium chloride has more covalent character
the hair style one, why no batteries are needed

I put A for the first one but not sure
Helium suitable because it has high Ionization Energy
Increase dont know the reason :biggrin:
AlCl Has high charge density and i dont remember other reasons,
No battery needed because catalyst lower activation energy by giving an alternative route
Original post by mr.holmes
what did you choose for the MCQ question asking about the reforming?

I chose option D where there was no side product or any linear compound/alkene
Reply 16
Original post by Esmeralda T
I chose option D where there was no side product or any linear compound/alkene

me too!
Original post by Hamadtype-
I put A for the first one but not sure
Helium suitable because it has high Ionization Energy
Increase dont know the reason :biggrin:
AlCl Has high charge density and i dont remember other reasons,
No battery needed because catalyst lower activation energy by giving an alternative route

Well catalyst is not a topic of unit 1 so I wrote the reaction was exothermic so would be self sustaining once started ... Hope I will get credit and for the helium one I wrote that it has no isotopes so there will be no m+1 peak on the spectrum but not so sure of this .
Original post by Shipra Khan
Well catalyst is not a topic of unit 1 so I wrote the reaction was exothermic so would be self sustaining once started ... Hope I will get credit and for the helium one I wrote that it has no isotopes so there will be no m+1 peak on the spectrum but not so sure of this .

I said it has no isotopes too thus there will be no misunderstanding on the readings. For the catalyst I wrote that it has activation energy so that is self sustaining.
Reply 19
is there any chance they give an A from 65?? my paper was bad af

Quick Reply

Latest