The Student Room Group

Confusing living situation, unsure about SF application.

Hi. I'm 24 years old and will be when my course starts, and live independently with my girlfriend in a converted farmhouse that's owned by her father, on his land and sharing his address, because of that I decided to keep my main postal address as mothers house. I'm assuming SFW pulled my mothers address from my passport and wont let me change it. Her partners earnings would put me well over any threshold for help even though they both explicitly told me I will not be getting any help from them if i move away. He has four children of his own to look after and has never really had to contribute to my upbringing other than paying rent when I did live with them.
Now, the kicker is I can only prove I have been financially independent for 33 of the 36 months, is there any leeway in application or way to appeal? Or am I up a creek without a paddle. :frown:
Original post by mattm08
Hi. I'm 24 years old and will be when my course starts, and live independently with my girlfriend in a converted farmhouse that's owned by her father, on his land and sharing his address, because of that I decided to keep my main postal address as mothers house. I'm assuming SFW pulled my mothers address from my passport and wont let me change it. Her partners earnings would put me well over any threshold for help even though they both explicitly told me I will not be getting any help from them if i move away. He has four children of his own to look after and has never really had to contribute to my upbringing other than paying rent when I did live with them.
Now, the kicker is I can only prove I have been financially independent for 33 of the 36 months, is there any leeway in application or way to appeal? Or am I up a creek without a paddle. :frown:

There isnt normally any leighway, its a pretty drastic suggestion but the only way i could see out of it, is you wait till your 25 or you marry your partner before going to uni or you claim estrangement from your parents (you would need a professional to write evidence of this) . 1 year in the grand scheme of things isnt that bad if it means you wont be financially struggling through uni as the other two options wont be anywhere near as easy to sort.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
There isnt normally any leighway, its a pretty drastic suggestion but the only way i could see out of it, is you wait till your 25 or you marry your partner before going to uni or you claim estrangement from your parents (you would need a professional to write evidence of this) . 1 year in the grand scheme of things isnt that bad if it means you wont be financially struggling through uni as the other two options wont be anywhere near as easy to sort.

I feel with a part time job I would be ok. I spent a year post a levels caring for my ill grandmother and working part time to pay for my food and direct debits earning about 400 a month. Would these circumstances count towards independance or does it strictly have to be full time?
If i were to reapply for finance in my second year as a 25 year old would i still be entitled to the full help still?
Original post by mattm08
I feel with a part time job I would be ok. I spent a year post a levels caring for my ill grandmother and working part time to pay for my food and direct debits earning about 400 a month. Would these circumstances count towards independance or does it strictly have to be full time?
If i were to reapply for finance in my second year as a 25 year old would i still be entitled to the full help still?

It normally has to be considered full time employment to count, unless you also got income support or any other benefits that werent child benefits in your name at that time when you were working?
Yes, if you are 25 on the 1st day of the academic year then you would be independent so its only 1st year you'd need to worry about.

If your parents refuse to give your their details then you would still get your tuition fees covered and the loan of £4637 (you should come under the living away from parental home) so depending on your living costs if you work part time and maybe get an overdraft to be safe, you should just be able to manage i recon.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
It normally has to be considered full time employment to count, unless you also got income support or any other benefits that werent child benefits in your name at that time when you were working?
Yes, if you are 25 on the 1st day of the academic year then you would be independent so its only 1st year you'd need to worry about.

If your parents refuse to give your their details then you would still get your tuition fees covered and the minimum loan of £3800 so depending on your living costs if you work part time and maybe get an overdraft to be safe, you should just be able to manage i recon.

Thanks for the help. Didnt claim any benefits as my family have always been strong believers of not taking money off the gov if we dont need to. I spent a year not claiming jsa and living off savings which can apparently count partially and im slapping myself for it now.
Original post by mattm08
Thanks for the help. Didnt claim any benefits as my family have always been strong believers of not taking money off the gov if we dont need to. I spent a year not claiming jsa and living off savings which can apparently count partially and im slapping myself for it now.

Oh i see, yes i m afraid that would have given you independent status, just to double check you dont happen to have any disabilities as that would possibly get you the special support grant?
Otherwise you should i think be able to manage for the one year, if you get a part time job, then from second year onwards assuming your partner doesnt earn over 40k then you should get a grant towards your living costs so it ll be much easier then.
Reply 6
Oh i see, yes i m afraid that would have given you independent status, just to double check you dont happen to have any disabilities as that would possibly get you the special support grant?
Otherwise you should i think be able to manage for the one year, if you get a part time job, then from second year onwards assuming your partner doesnt earn over 40k then you should get a grant towards your living costs so it ll be much easier then.

No disability for a special support grant. Thank you for taking the time to respond :smile:
Original post by mattm08
No disability for a special support grant. Thank you for taking the time to respond :smile:

glad to help:smile: you should be able to put your current address down as a corresponce address to make sure your entitlement letter doesnt end up at your parents by the way :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending