The Student Room Group

OCR chemistry b salters breadth in chemistry

How did the exam go for you guys? -_-
Reply 1
Original post by Logic4Life

Not great
Reply 2
It was so bad. The multiple choice was alright but the questions ...
Reply 3
I felt like we had not been taught half the stuff eg membrane cell. And the multiple choice was hurrendous
What did people get for the crystals method in first long answer bit
I thought it was terrible. It wasn't knowledge based at all and so much elements from the sea. I'm going to really try for the depth but it won't level out this exam to a great extent
I thought it went okay.
Reply 7
Absolutely terrible. The only answer I'm confident about is the 2 mark ozone equations
it was...meh...i thought it was horrible but after discussing some answers im confident i could get...a C? The grade boundaries will be low ish because it's a new spec, don't worry! My chem teacher emailed OCR and they told him they are aware the specimen papers and new spec is hard, and the examiners will make the mark scheme based on answers in the test - i.e. if your answer is obviously correct, even if it isn't on the scheme they will still award marks for it
Reply 9
Original post by katherine21678
What did people get for the crystals method in first long answer bit

described crystallisation
Original post by Logic4Life

WHat THE hell is isobutylene. You know the OCR salters b endorsed class textbook has never mentioned ISO. wth i missed so many marks on that q. I get you gotta put application qs in but that was unfair.
QUOTE=katherine21678;65241401]What did people get for the crystals method in first long answer bit

hmm i wrote add excess acid, stir , vacuum filter, dry (complete guess)
Original post by GenuineHpLaptop
WHat THE hell is isobutylene. You know the OCR salters b endorsed class textbook has never mentioned ISO. wth i missed so many marks on that q. I get you gotta put application qs in but that was unfair.

You work it out from the skeletal formula? Have you not been taught how to name molecules? It was methylpropene.
Original post by Shan_non
You work it out from the skeletal formula? Have you not been taught how to name molecules? It was methylpropene.

It was 2-methylpropene
Reply 14
I don't think it's necessary to add the 2 because if the methyl branch was anywhere else it'd be butene
Original post by S..
I don't think it's necessary to add the 2 because if the methyl branch was anywhere else it'd be butene

I realises that after the exam, i'd overnamed and put 2-methylprop-1-ene, i dont think they mark you down for overnaming though
Reply 16
Tbh, I thought this exam was harder than the specimen papers they provided us. It was easy to make mistakes in there
Guys how many marks was that last frequency question worth?
I knew what to do but i think i put avogadros constant as 6.02 x 10^-23 and planks constant as 6.63x10^34 - (the wrong way round) do you think ill get atleast one method mark (being extremely optimistic considering i got the formulas mixed up) or should i just forget about it.
Original post by GenuineHpLaptop
QUOTE=katherine21678;65241401]What did people get for the crystals method in first long answer bit

hmm i wrote add excess acid, stir , vacuum filter, dry (complete guess)

did that question involve insoluble base and acid

Quick Reply

Latest