The Student Room Group

F321 27th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GillyTheGhillie
Someone remind me of the questions not listed here cos I forgot some.

1. Seriously if you dont know protons neutrons and electrons relative mass charge and position, theres no hope.

S: Spherical
P: Dumbell

Relative energies I was unsure

Nitrogen dotcross had 3 crosses and 3 dots shared between the and one lone pair each.

No of moles of nitrogen atoms was 1.7 x10^-3

Remind me of others for q1

2. Remind me of q2

3. Ditto

4. Ditto

5. Ditto

6. Ditto

Unsure what question numbers:

Halide test question minimum no was 2 and it was bromine water plus the chloride and iodide, layer colour plus chloride was orange, plus iodide was purple

Mass of aluminium sulfate formed was 0.120 grams

Volume of gas produced was 1200 cm^3

Reason sodium has lower mp was because it has a higher ionic radius and lower charge.

Vdw comes about because of uneven electron diatribition causing instantaneous dipoles that induce dipoles in other atoms that causes them to be electrostatically attracted

Reason bromine has a higher bp was because it has more electrons so more likely to have uneven electron distribution.

Acid produced was Nitrous acid, HNO2

Calcium compound used to change soil pH would be hydroxide or oxide.

6Ca plus P4 goes to 2Ca3P2

Ionic structure was 3 Ca^2+ ions and 2 P^3+ ions.

Oxygen was 2+ in oxygen difluoride.

2F2 + 2NaOH goes to F2O + 2NaF + H2O

Bond angle was 104.5°

Remind me of qs and Ill give answers

Ionic structure was 3 Ca2+ and 2 P3-. Oxygen was +2 oxidation number. I thought the bond angle was 180 and linear but that's probably wrong, how many marks was that question.
Original post by sqr00t
No you dont, you were given the number of molecules of N2, you needed to find moles of N2 molecules

No, you needed to find the number of moles of Nitrogen ATOMS, so x2.
Original post by UnknownAnon
I got HNO3 for the acid. And I have a feeling it will be higher. From what I've heard, most people found it easy and everyone who did it is retakers. Btw did anyone else write sulphur fluoride instead of hexaflouride? :frown::facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I got nitrous acid, because I couldn't make the balancing work with nitric. oh no, when you mean higher do you think it will be like fifty something for an A or if we are lucky maybe 49? :P I wrote sulphur fluoride but some people put hexflouride, which I feel is right :frown:
Original post by MrKmas508
Ionic structure was 3 Ca2+ and 2 P3-. Oxygen was +2 oxidation number. I thought the bond angle was 180 and linear but that's probably wrong, how many marks was that question.

****, typo, should have been P^3-, edited now
Reply 64
Original post by sqr00t
No you dont, you were given the number of molecules of N2, you needed to find moles of N2 molecules

Moles of nitrogen atoms"
Original post by MrKmas508

I got linear and 180 too! Not sure if it was 1 or 2 marks tho. Gonna hope its right
what do you guys think grade boundaries will be !

realistically
Original post by Dolphinflips
I got linear and 180 too! Not sure if it was 1 or 2 marks tho. Gonna hope its right

it was 104.5, non-linear/bent 2 bonded pairs 2 lone pairs

It's wrong, OF2 has the same structure as water, has 2 lone pairs so vsepr states that it is 104.5
I need to stop reading this threads. My hopes are being destroyed with every post :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

There were 2 lone pairs on the oxygen atom so it's no-linear, bond angle 104.5 degrees. It can't be linear.
guys, the oxidation state of oxygen was +2 in the oxygen fluoride, i put -2, funny things is they state in the book that we will not meet this in As level, are they gonna give us the mark or are they gonna just mark the correct one only?
Original post by SazahSauce

Well that's it, I've failed :'(
Original post by SazahSauce
Do you know for sure if 'bent' will get the mark also?
Reply 74
Guys do you think ocr will penalise for writing more than two halide tests.
I write the bromine + iodine
And bromine + chlorine
But I also done aq idione + calcium bromide 😫
Original post by naheed_853
guys, the oxidation state of oxygen was +2 in the oxygen fluoride, i put -2, funny things is they state in the book that we will not meet this in As level, are they gonna give us the mark or are they gonna just mark the correct one only?

part before did say flourine is the most electronegative, so you would expect it be the -ve one of two
Posted from TSR Mobile
No, only non-linear or V-Shaped is officially accepted, there may be an "allow" for bent though.
Original post by bigzman123
part before did say flourine is the most electronegative, so you would expect it be the -ve one of two

But I thought the oxidation state of O was always -2 in a compound.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, they will, because you didn't read the question, did you, otherwise you would know the answer.
Original post by bigzman123

How does electronegativity determine oxidation state? They are 2 unrelated quantities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending