The Student Room Group

Edexcel chemistry resit unit 1

How'd everyone find it I thought it wasn't to bad and quite easy not sure I got the first mass spec question right though I put (0^16)^+ and (o^16,o^16)^+

Also got something like +61 for Hess lay question
And -30000 and something over (1/72) for the combustion question

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Supermanxxxxxx
How'd everyone find it I thought it wasn't to bad and quite easy not sure I got the first mass spec question right though I put (0^16)^+ and (o^16,o^16)^+

Also got something like +61 for Hess lay question
And -30000 and something over (1/72) for the combustion question

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea that spectro answers are correct. But it was +71 not +61 for hess cycle

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah very straight forward exam I thought, I put the same for that question.
Original post by JoeyTr
Yeah very straight forward exam I thought, I put the same for that question.

Yeah apart from a few 1 markers in the mid. The paper was easy. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Grade boundaries are gonna be super high I reckon from looking at the January ial 2016 an a was 68

Posted from TSR Mobile
Grade boundaries are gonna be super high I reckon from looking at the January ial 2016 an a was 68

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea thats true. I think same for our exam. Btw how was jan ial 2016? Easier than ours?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got (16O-16O)+ and (16O)+ for the first mass spec question.

For the "deflection of lines" question I made (16O)+ more bent as it has a smaller mass.

I got + 71 kJ mol-1 for the first Hess cycle.

I got -2046.(something) kJ mol-1 for the pentane combustion question. (and for the bit after I said that the experimental value was different because incomplete combustion may have happened)

For the graph, I made everything decrease apart from Sulfur which had a lower 1st IE than Phosphorus.

Last question was: but-1-ene (skeletal) + h2 --> /\/ and conditions was nickle catalyst.

---

Why was carrying out the pentane combustion dangerous for a school lab? is it because it was highly exothermic?

What did you guys write for what sigma bond and pi bonds in addition reactions.

What was the colour change for ethene + potassium manganate?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by usmanzubair
Yea that spectro answers are correct. But it was +71 not +61 for hess cycle

Posted from TSR Mobile

ye i also got 71. i wrote 0 plus and 0 2plus for the spectre. is that right as well?
what did u write for why oxygen isn't used to compare molar masses anymore?
Original post by melanin101

For the "deflection of lines" question I made (16O)+ more bent as it has a smaller mass.

For the -2046.(something) kJ mol-1 for the pentane combustion question. (and for the bit after I said that the experimental value was different because incomplete combustion may have happened)

For the graph, I made everything decrease apart from Sulfur which had a lower 1st IE than Phosphorus.

Last question was: but-1-ene (skeletal) + h2 --> /\/ and conditions was nickle catalyst.

---

Why was carrying out the pentane combustion dangerous for a school lab? is it because it was highly exothermic?

incomplete combustion isn't correct. it could be because some pentane evaporates when heated. dangerous for a school lab because its highly flammable and the colour change is pink to colourless
Reply 9
Purple to colourless for kmno4

For the -2046.(something) kJ mol-1 for the pentane combustion question. (and for the bit after I said that the experimental value was different because incomplete combustion may have happened)

---

I put may be incomplete and cause co to be realised
I wrote about who pi bond is very electron dense and it doesn't have much overlap so that's why pi bond is broken didn't really know what to put for sigma bind so just wrote how it has a string overlap so is very stable and isn't affected
And purple to colourless
With a 1,2 diethanol formed
And another test was bromine water which turned orange/brown to colourless

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Marco1000
incomplete combustion isn't correct. it could be because some pentane evaporates when heated. dangerous for a school lab because its highly flammable and the colour change is pink to colourless

I wrote it is volatie and very flammable :tongue: and will give toxic vapour in the lab 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Marco1000

curious as to why it's incorrect. I always get these types of questions wrong
Original post by nonok
Purple to colourless for kmno4

thank the lord :smile::smile: was the product CH2OHCH2OH?
I put may be incomplete and cause co to be realised
I wrote about who pi bond is very electron dense and it doesn't have much overlap so that's why pi bond is broken didn't really know what to put for sigma bind so just wrote how it has a string overlap so is very stable and isn't affected
And purple to colourless
With a 1,2 diethanol formed
And another test was bromine water which turned orange/brown to colourless

Posted from TSR Mobile

yayy same answers. apparently we're wrong about the 1st one tho :smile:
That exam wasn't that bad. Reckon I got around 70/80 for that. Messed up the first question of Section B though, now I think about it. Didn't read it properly...

Anyone have any clues about the pi and sigma bonds in the addition reaction?

I put may be incomplete and cause co to be realisedI wrote about who pi bond is very electron dense and it doesn't have much overlap so that's why pi bond is broken didn't really know what to put for sigma bind so just wrote how it has a string overlap so is very stable and isn't affectedAnd purple to colourlessWith a 1,2 diethanol formedAnd another test was bromine water which turned orange/brown to colourlessPosted from TSR Mobile
I put the same about the bonds :biggrin:
Reply 15
curious as to why it's incorrect. I always get these types of questions wrong

thank the lord :smile::smile: was the product CH2OHCH2OH?

Yes it was a diol
yayy same answers. apparently we're wrong about the 1st one tho :smile:

Surely incomplete is right you wouldn't want co in a school lab

Posted from TSR Mobile
And polarisation what did people out for that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
What did you guys right for the multiple choice question best way to prove that something is ionic
Surely incomplete is right you wouldn't want co in a school lab

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's what i thought. it's always a standard answer for combustion calorimetry. im p sure its right but my classmate (and someone on here) says i'm wrong. hopefully that's not the case though.

Quick Reply

Latest