The Student Room Group

F321 27th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

I've got two questions wrong... God damn.
Original post by UnknownAnon
But I thought the oxidation state of O was always -2 in a compound.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No when its bonded with Flourine
Original post by UnknownAnon
But I thought the oxidation state of O was always -2 in a compound.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, in every molecule except peroxides, superoxides, oxygen and oxygen difluoride.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
Original post by seph_muriel
There were 2 lone pairs on the oxygen atom so it's no-linear, bond angle 104.5 degrees. It can't be linear.

Well im pretty sure it was 180 same as CO2
Original post by SamH213

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, that's incorrect, because there are two lone pairs.
From reading this thread, I think I lost about 8 to 10 marks in total. Hopefully the grade boundaries will be about the same as last year (A=46/60) cuz I really need an A :frown:
It says in the book that we wont meet the oxidation state of oxygen in oxygen fluorides,
Original post by SamH213

CO2 doesn't have lone pairs whereas oxygen in F2O does!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by shurezma9999
It says in the book that we wont meet the oxidation state of oxygen in oxygen fluorides,

From what happened in F324 its not suprising lol
Not sure why you posted sulfur difluoride, that didn't come up at all in the paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How many marks might you lose do you reckon if you put 3 test tubes experiments rather than 2 for the 5 marker?
How many marks might you lose do you reckon if you put 3 test tubes experiments rather than 2 for the 5 marker?

Depends, did you use chlorine water? If so then at least 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends if you have the 2 correct ones in your 3. If you do and your 3rd one isn't technically wrong they should only take away 1
Original post by GillyTheGhillie
Not sure why you posted sulfur difluoride, that didn't come up at all in the paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

sh*it forgot what the molecule was but still F20 has that same structure
Original post by GillyTheGhillie
Depends, did you use chlorine water? If so then at least 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's how I answered:

Bromine water and calcium iodide - mixture turns purple
Bromine water and barium chloride - mixture turns orange
Iodine and barium chloride - mixture turns purple

Br2 (aq) + 2I- (aq) ---> 2Br- (aq) + I2(aq)
you have to x2 then divided by the constant because that was the number of molecules of n2 you need nitrogen atoms
That's how I answered:

Bromine water and calcium iodide - mixture turns purple
Bromine water and barium chloride - mixture turns orange
Iodine and barium chloride - mixture turns purple

Br2 (aq) + 2I- (aq) ---> 2Br- (aq) + I2(aq)

why would you do the last reaction? if you know bromine is more reactive than iodine and chlorine is more reactive than bromine. (Cl< Br< I ) with those two reaction you can determine the order
(edited 7 years ago)
Will writing full balanced equations (rather than words) be accepted for the minimum experiment part of the 5 marker?
Original post by hicham001
why would you do the last reaction? if you know bromine is more reactive than iodine and chlorine is more reactive than bromine. (Cl< Br< I ) with those two reaction you can determine the order

Cl2 wasnt provided, only Cl- ions were given so the Cl2 +Br- reationcoudnt take place
Original post by hicham001

Question also asked for one ionic equation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending