The Student Room Group

AQA AS 2016 - CHEM1 (Resit) Unoffical Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by j5994
for the balancing equation questions, if you got the other products right but they aren't balanced, do you get 1/2?

Yes of course. 1 for the equation and the other for the balancing
Original post by Sniperdon227
that's what i put my g, i think you have to talk about electron clouds and how at any given time one side is less neg and one side is more neg so attract other electron clouds etc...

I also put VDW would form between atom on one molecule that would be delta positive and a delta negative atom on another molecule. Do you think you had to specifically say electron clouds?
Reply 22
Original post by SirRaza97
Here is my unofficial mark scheme. Anything in bold I am not sure if it's right. So if you have any idea then please tell me so i can add it! If i have missed anything out then aslo let me know!

Section A

a) Relative Atomic mass Definition
b) Magnetic Field
c) - Ions accept electrons -Current is formed which is proportional to abundance
d) Something like 28.065 for the RAM
e) Similarity= Peaks still at original m/z values becuase +1 ions are still formed. Difference - Peaks at half the m/z values becasue high energy electrons will produce +2 ions

2. (Can't rmember what topic this was. I think it was about Van Der Waals)
a) -Electron Density randomly shifts -Creating areas of +ve and -ve charge on molecule - Attraction between molecules which is intermolecular force/VDW
b) O-H bond big electronegative difference allows for hydrogen bonds. Hydrogen bonds are stronger than VDW.
c) The Se molecule is larger? This means the VDW forces are stronger between molecules

3. (Questions about Alkanes?)
a) Group is alkane
b) 2,2,4 - trimethylpentane (might accept 2,4,4 - trimethylpentane)
c) C8H18 + 12.5O2 ------> 9H2O + 8CO2
d) but-1-ene
e) C14H30
f) Isomers question. Chain isomer = H2C=C(CH3)2 Postion isomer = But-2-ene Functional Isomer = Cyclic Alkane so basically a square skeltal formula

4. (The weird reactions and the shapes question?)
a) Balancing equation I couldn't remember
b) Cu2(OH)2CO3 + 4HCl -----> 2CuCl2 + 3H2O + CO2
c) Effervescense
d) Something like Cu3O8H2C2
e) Shapes question - SF6 = Octohedral , 90 degrees SF4 = I thought it was trigonal bipyramidal with the lone pair in the horzontal plane with angles of 120 degrees and 90 degrees but others saying it was tetrahedral with and of 107 degress

Section B

5. (Period 3 stuff)
a) - Ionisation energies increase -Increasing proton number - Similar Shielding -Attraction between outer electron and nuclues gets stronger -The bigger nuclear charge reduces atomic radius (I don't think this point is needed)
b) -Silicon has highest melting point. -Because of macromolecular/Giant covelant structure. -Strong covelant bonds throughout structure. -Requires high amounts of energy to break.
c) The elements that you could say were Aluminuim because removing electron form 3p shell and Sulfur because of pair repulsion.
d) -Element Y is Sulphur. -Large jump in eneries from 6th to 7th ionisation enegies -So 7th electron in inner shell so sulphur must be the element Y.

6. (Calculations)
a) 0.113m3 (3 sig figs needed)
b) 1065 Kg or 1.065x106 g
c) Percentage yield = 49.3%
d) Method 1 because its 100% atom economy. Only producing one product.

I remember there was a 2 marker on the type of cracking needed to make X
thanks for this btw!!
Reply 23
Original post by j5994
I remember there was a 2 marker on the type of cracking needed to make X
thanks for this btw!!

Yes there was thanks I knew I missed somehing
Here is my unofficial mark scheme. Anything in bold I am not sure if it's right. So if you have any idea then please tell me so i can add it! If i have missed anything out then aslo let me know!

Section A

b) Magnetic Field
c) - Ions accept electrons -Current is formed which is proportional to abundance
e) Similarity= Peaks still at original m/z values becuase +1 ions are still formed. Difference - Peaks at half the m/z values becasue high energy electrons will produce +2 ions

a) -Electron Density randomly shifts -Creating areas of +ve and -ve charge on molecule - Attraction between molecules which is intermolecular force/VDW
b) O-H bond big electronegative difference allows for hydrogen bonds. Hydrogen bonds are stronger than VDW.
c) The Se molecule is larger? This means the VDW forces are stronger between molecules

a) Group is alkane
d) but-1-ene
e) C14H30
f) Thermal Cracking. High temp and high pressure
g) Isomers question. Chain isomer = H2C=C(CH3)2 Postion isomer = But-2-ene Functional Isomer = Cyclic Alkane so cyclicbutane

c) Effervescense
e) Shapes question - SF6 = Octohedral , 90 degrees SF4 = I thought it was trigonal bipyramidal with the lone pair in the horzontal plane with angles of 120 degrees and 90 degrees but others saying it was tetrahedral with and of 107 degress

Section B

5. (Period 3 stuff)
a) - Ionisation energies increase -Increasing proton number - Similar Shielding -Attraction between outer electron and nuclues gets stronger -The bigger nuclear charge reduces atomic radius (I don't think this point is needed)
b) -Silicon has highest melting point. -Because of macromolecular/Giant covelant structure. -Strong covelant bonds throughout structure. -Requires high amounts of energy to break.
c) The elements that you could say were Aluminuim because removing electron form 3p shell and Sulfur because of pair repulsion.
d) -Element Y is Sulphur. -Large jump in eneries from 6th to 7th ionisation enegies -So 7th electron in inner shell so sulphur must be the element Y.

6. (Calculations)

There was a one marker on how to separate methanol and methanethiol
Reply 25
Original post by Louisss
There was a one marker on how to separate methanol and methanethiol

Thanks!
Reply 26
I said for the second shape question, that it was acting as a Trigonal Bipyramid as it has 4 bonding pairs and 1 lone pair, taking 2.5 from each, so 117.5 and 87.5. the question said bond angle(s)
Original post by j5994
I said for the second shape question, that it was acting as a Trigonal Bipyramid as it has 4 bonding pairs and 1 lone pair, taking 2.5 from each, so 117.5 and 87.5. the question said bond angle(s)

There wasn't a box for the shape for the second one

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wrote the molecular ion peaks would be the same???:redface:
Reply 29
Original post by Bloom77

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure that it was 5 pairs so 90/120 - it was in a past paper I did
Reply 30
Original post by 97Y

but the lone pair takes 2.5 off, so 87.5 and 177.5
Original post by 97Y

But it had a lone pair
So take 2.5 degrees away from 90 and 120

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by Bloom77

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah i know but for the bond angle it said angle(s) so i think it wouldve been 2, what did u put?
Reply 33
Original post by j5994
yeah i know but for the bond angle it said angle(s) so i think it wouldve been 2, what did u put?

I put 90 and 120. I noticed the (s) so that's what I thought. -2.5 off each because of lone pair also makes sense. They might accept both our cases idk
The ration was 1:1 for phsophorus to the oxide. So work out the mol of the phsphorus = 220g/124 = 1.774 mol

Then use pV = nRT to find volume. 500 degress celcius (converted to 773K) and 101kPa

V = (1.774 x 8.31 x 773)/101000 = 0.1128 m3 = 0.113 m3

So annoyed at myself, I think I just divided 220g by 31 for the Mr of just P not P4😭😭😭 so that'll be why, was the equation definetly not P+02---> P4O10

Or is it P4+02--->P4010 😩
Reply 35
Original post by Charco63
So annoyed at myself, I think I just divided 220g by 31 for the Mr of just P not P4😭😭😭 so that'll be why, was the equation definetly not P+02---> P4O10

Or is it P4+02--->P4010 😩

it was
P4+502--->P4010

we all mistakes dont worry about it! I completely forgot about hydrogen bonding in that exam

Section A

b) Magnetic Field

c) Fractional Distiallation will sperate these
d) The Se molecule is larger? This means the VDW forces are stronger between molecules

a) Group is alkane
d) but-1-ene
e) C14H30
f) Thermal Cracking. High temp and high pressure
g) Isomers question. Chain isomer = H2C=C(CH3)2 Postion isomer = But-2-ene Functional Isomer = Cyclic Alkane so cyclicbutane

c) Effervescense
e) Shapes question - SF6 = Octohedral , 90 degrees -SF4 = See-Saw shape. Lone pair on the horizontal plane. Angles 90, 120 or 180 degrees. Probably will accept -2.5 degrees off each angle.

Section B

5. (Period 3 stuff)

6. (Calculations)

This mark scheme reassures me and worries me simultaneously.
Reply 37
I'm such an idiot and didn't realise co2 was formed and put h2co3 and water instead (don't ask).Then I wrote the colour of cucl4 as my observation fml.
Original post by Manexopi
I'm such an idiot and didn't realise co2 was formed and put h2co3 and water instead (don't ask).Then I wrote the colour of cucl4 as my observation fml.

Omg same!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by Manexopi

Haha good chem5 application. That would be pretty hard for an AS sudent xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending