The Student Room Group

Did I pick the wrong poem? AQA English Literature Conflict Unit 2

I picked the 2nd question about the poem 'Poppies'. I chose The Yellow Palm to compare. Was it the wrong choice and will I lose marks?

Scroll to see replies

It doesn't really matter which poem you chose to be honest. As long as your answer is detailed, thorough, and supported with PEE then I can't see why you can't obtain high marks (Band 4+).
Original post by Certified
I picked the 2nd question about the poem 'Poppies'. I chose The Yellow Palm to compare. Was it the wrong choice and will I lose marks?

Absolutely fine, as long as you addressed the question "difficult times". I did Poppies and Falling Leaves
Reply 3
Original post by Ella_08
Absolutely fine, as long as you addressed the question "difficult times". I did Poppies and Falling Leaves

I was going to do 'The Falling Leaves' but I didn't know how to link it to difficult times. I have extensive knowledge of the poem, it is the one I feel most confident with. I analysed it for my mock to compare with Mametz Wood and got an A*.
I was going to do 'The Falling Leaves' but I didn't know how to link it to difficult times. I have extensive knowledge of the poem, it is the one I feel most confident with. I analysed it for my mock to compare with Mametz Wood and got an A*.

I somehow managed to. It's great you got an A* in your mock, me too, let's hope we can repeat it this time. How did you find the unseen?
There's no such thing as a 'wrong choice' in poetry comparison as long as you can find links to analyze relating to the question!
Did anyone do The Right Word question I did if so what poem did you link it to 😊
Reply 7
Original post by Ella_08
I somehow managed to. It's great you got an A* in your mock, me too, let's hope we can repeat it this time. How did you find the unseen?

Unseen was okay, I didn't say anything very perceptive though what about yourself? I spent less than 15 minutes on it (ran out of time, as always).
Unseen was okay, I didn't say anything very perceptive though what about yourself? I spent less than 15 minutes on it (ran out of time, as always).

Going to paste what I said in another Literature thread!

I talked about so much in the unseen poem, it was so good. I talked about how because he wasn't 'born' with claws and antlers he wasn't inherently evil or dangerous and it's the weapons that make him dangerous. I also talked about the oxymoron of the idea of a bullet 'nuzzling' too. Nuzzling is associated with affection and love, but it's literally talking about a bullet tearing into peoples hearts.

I brought up the idea of hunger being a need, showing he almost has a need for blood and flesh instead of just a desire. Talked about the power of the word 'lads' due to it having connotations to very young men, usually teenagers. These are very young people dying. Because of this I mentioned how it's Owen trying to shed light on the horrors of how young people can be when they're sent to war.

The structure also almost juxtaposes itself, it's divided into 3 stanzas of equal length which may equate to the straightforward, uniform no nonscence ways of a military but the rhymes and half rhymes give it a melody which can equate it to children's songs and nursery rhymes, perhaps showing how war is just a game. I don't know, I think I waffled! (I mentioned more than these but this is what I remember off the top of my head, hah)
I compared it to The Yellow Palm as well! What did you talk about?
What if I chose 'At the Border' but didn't link it to the question :s-smilie:... idk what i was doing honestly.
Original post by Chittesh14
What if I chose 'At the Border' but didn't link it to the question :s-smilie:... idk what i was doing honestly.

Which question did you choose?

I loved that poem, mainly just because it was wilfred owen <3 can't really remember but I talked about the "blood" and all the conotations it has. And then I said the hard alliteration juxtaposes with the gentle "stroke" (i think it was stroke). So i basically said that the young soldier perceives war as conventional as it's part of his everyday life. i said the hard alliteration might refer to his arrogance. And for structure, the uniform stanza length shows military ideals and how the child follows the orders. Also the rhyme scheme kinda shows how the kid's fate has already been pre-planned for him and that he's been dominated by the authority figures.
I spent like 20 minutes on it. I said a lot of other stuff but i can't remember it :tongue:
Original post by Claire9999
Did anyone do The Right Word question I did if so what poem did you link it to 😊

I did! and i linked it to At the border wbu?
Original post by anisameh
I did! and i linked it to At the border wbu?
I linked it to Futility
Original post by Claire9999
I linked it to Futility

personally I wasn't very confident with the poem futility
Original post by Ella_08
Which question did you choose?

Poppies question Q6
Original post by anisameh
personally I wasn't very confident with the poem futility
The only reason I did it was because the title was a good analysis and the use of personification which linked in well with the theme of perceptives of others in The Right Word for comparisons
Did you write about the title, 'Arms and the boy' and how that juxtaposed?
I chose the Poppies question and linked it to the difficult times faced by the speaker in Out of the blue. I was the only one who did this from who I asked at school, but I'm not too worried about it as I personally thought Out of the Blue was the best to compare Poppies to.

Quick Reply