The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Chemistry Unit 1 (WCH01 )/ May 27 June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mimiastc
I LOVE YOU 😍 thats what i got

Yesssss
Are the grade boundaries for chem always at like the 68 level?
Original post by Becka99
Are the grade boundaries for chem always at like the 68 level?

Sadly for the recent papers yea:frown:
Oh and also for the evidence that shows why aluminium chloride is more covalent that magnesium chloride can we say that aluminium chloride has a higher latyice enthalpy? 😕
Original post by Becka99
Oh and also for the evidence that shows why aluminium chloride is more covalent that magnesium chloride can we say that aluminium chloride has a higher latyice enthalpy? 😕

I said that aluminium has a greater charge that magnesium and also that it is smaller than magnesium therefore the charge density of alcl is greater than mgcl. Alcl has more polarizing power that mgcl thus forming a covalent bond
Original post by Sunethra
I said that aluminium has a greater charge that magnesium and also that it is smaller than magnesium therefore the charge density of alcl is greater than mgcl. Alcl has more polarizing power that mgcl thus forming a covalent bond

Yeah I mentioned all that but they asked for one piece of evidence to prove this ..so then can I mention that aluminum chloride has a higher lattice enthalpy?
Original post by Becka99
Yeah I mentioned all that but they asked for one piece of evidence to prove this ..so then can I mention that aluminum chloride has a higher lattice enthalpy?

I just said tht it had a greater charge density. Doesn't all the other things you have told prove that its a covalent bond? I don't no for sure. lattice enthalpy is a measure of attraction.
Original post by Becka99
For the catalyst question can we write that heating it provides the activation energy needed to initiate the reaction?

And for the helium question is it wrong if i mentioned it is less dense?

I don't think its wrong. Less Dense means light. :smile:
I just said tht it had a greater charge density. Doesn't all the other things you have told prove that its a covalent bond? I don't no for sure. lattice enthalpy is a measure of attraction.

I thought when they asked for evidence they required us to provide some physical or chemical property to justify the statement 😬

You have to talk about electron density maps in this case.
Original post by tejsanghavi
doesnt the gas deposit exist naturally?

Not sure what you mean, could you elaborate? :colondollar:
Original post by Sandy_Vega30
You have to talk about electron density maps in this case.

Yes, I talked about the electon density maps of aluminum chloride and illustrated it on the side
Original post by I <3 WORK
For the drawing of the line to show deflection question - I drew it above but wrote specifically most deflected. Would I still get the mark?

Since the question was asking you to draw and not STATE what the effect of a lighter ion would be, i do not think you will get the mark. But it also depends on the examiner, so *fingers crossed* :smile:
Yes, I talked about the electon density maps of aluminum chloride and illustrated it on the side

What if we talked about the close values for theoretical and real lattice energies in mgcl but different in alcl?
What if we talked about the close values for theoretical and real lattice energies in mgcl but different in alcl?

That's seems right but since they haven't given values I don't know. fingers crossed hoping its right.
That's seems right but since they haven't given values I don't know. fingers crossed hoping its right.

Okay thanks ☺️ Guys when will model answers be released??
what did you guys get for the reformation question

Thats what I wrote too.
Original post by userk 12
what did you guys get for the reformation question

D, rest were cracking
Original post by Willandy123
D, rest were cracking

Isn't reforming the process in which straight-chain molecules are converted to branched forms? If so, it should be A, coz that was the only one forming an alkene.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending