The Student Room Group

Maths A-Level, Pros and Cons?

Hi all,
I'm looking for some guidance about my A-Level choices.
I have told my prospective sixth form that I will probably be taking Mathematics (Edexcel) until AS (8371) during my lower sixth year.
This is an option I've spent a long while contemplating, and I always seem to conclude that it would be the best thing to do, but I realised that I've not spoken to many people who actually do/have done it themselves- So I'm looking for a wide range of pros and cons from people with experience of the course so that I can be sure this is the right step for me. (I made a wrong decision about my GCSE options which lead to a highly stessful years 10 and 11 and so do not want to repeat the mistake!)
To give you some background information, Through most of year 11 I was getting steady B grades in maths, but I worked really hard around December and am now on a solid A- sometimes A*. I have been in the top set of my maths class since I began secondary school, I find maths challenging but I enjoy it and I think it's interesting.
However, as I don't see myself doing anything highly mathematical in the future, I want to ensure I'm not choosing something that won't be beneficial to me long term or that will bring me lots of stress.
I am quite interested in possibly pursuing something to do with earth sciences or oceanography/marine biology beyond sixth form and would need maths for that- but that is only an idea and my mind can change easily.

Cheers to anyone willing to help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wimsett
Hi all,
I have told my prospective sixth form that I will probably be taking Mathematics (Edexcel) until AS (8371) during my lower sixth year.
This is an option I've spent a long while contemplating, and I always seem to conclude that it would be the best thing to do, but I realised that I've not spoken to many people who actually do/have done it themselves- So I'm looking for a wide range of pros and cons from people with experience of the course so that I can be sure this is the right step for me. (I made a wrong decision about my GCSE options which lead to a highly stessful years 10 and 11 and so do not want to repeat the mistake!)
To give you some background information, Through most of year 11 I was getting steady B grades in maths, but I worked really hard around December and am now on a solid A- sometimes A*. I have been in the top set of my maths class since I began secondary school, I find maths challenging but I enjoy it and I think it's interesting.
However, as I don't see myself doing anything highly mathematical in the future, I want to ensure I'm not choosing something that won't be beneficial to me long term or that will bring me lots of stress.
I am quite interested in possibly pursuing something to do with earth sciences or oceanography/marine biology beyond sixth form and would need maths for that- but that is only an idea and my mind can change easily.

In year 12 I picked maths as I was kind of good at it in GCSE and because other people said "maths is the best a-level, pick it". I did. As a result I struggled a lot with it and as a result I flunked it so hard because the jump from GCSE Maths to A-Level maths is massive (if you were as dumb as me lol). Also, because I wasn't as good at maths, I spent more time revising for it and neglected my other subjects.

All in all, if you like it, pick it, because you will want to do more of what you enjoy. But remember, all A-Levels are going to be hard no matter what you pick, so picking the ones you like the most always suits!
For me
Maths at GCSE = zero work (got A*)
Maths at A level was more work than all the other A levels combined (scraped A*)
Reply 3
Put in the effort and you should be alright, it's just that sometimes the exams can take the piss.
Reply 4
Original post by ODES_PDES
For me
Maths at GCSE = zero work (got A*)
Maths at A level was more work than all the other A levels combined (scraped A*)

Ok thats interesting, thanks. Was it the volume of content that made it hard/lots of work, or just the fact that the content is difficult to understand/apply in exams?
Reply 5
Original post by 8radley
Put in the effort and you should be alright, it's just that sometimes the exams can take the piss.

Yeah I've heard that they're difficult because you have to apply so many different concepts and explain what you do, is this the case for you?
Original post by Wimsett
Ok thats interesting, thanks. Was it the volume of content that made it hard/lots of work, or just the fact that the content is difficult to understand/apply in exams?

Both!
For me I had to fight to the very end for that A*
Reply 7
Original post by yoMilkSheikh
In year 12 I picked maths as I was kind of good at it in GCSE and because other people said "maths is the best a-level, pick it". I did. As a result I struggled a lot with it and as a result I flunked it so hard because the jump from GCSE Maths to A-Level maths is massive (if you were as dumb as me lol). Also, because I wasn't as good at maths, I spent more time revising for it and neglected my other subjects.

All in all, if you like it, pick it, because you will want to do more of what you enjoy. But remember, all A-Levels are going to be hard no matter what you pick, so picking the ones you like the most always suits!

Right, thanks for sharing your experience. I think this is what worries me. I'm going to a good sixth form so I'm not worried about the teaching and support but I don't want it to be something that becomes very difficult and stressful for me, especially seeing as I probably won't even go into a mathematical career. I do enjoy it but some aspects a lot more than others and it isn't a consistent enjoyment so I'll have to think about that.
Reply 8
Original post by ODES_PDES
Both!
For me I had to fight to the very end for that A*

Ah ok, and you did AS and A2? I think if I took it I would be aiming for an A at AS
Original post by Wimsett

Think of it like a puzzle, you're shown how to do it, then given a more complex one and told to complete it.
Original post by Wimsett
Ah ok, and you did AS and A2? I think if I took it I would be aiming for an A at AS

I did double maths
I got A* and A in FM
Original post by Wimsett
Right, thanks for sharing your experience. I think this is what worries me. I'm going to a good sixth form so I'm not worried about the teaching and support but I don't want it to be something that becomes very difficult and stressful for me, especially seeing as I probably won't even go into a mathematical career. I do enjoy it but some aspects a lot more than others and it isn't a consistent enjoyment so I'll have to think about that.

If it isn't a consistent enjoyment , I say leave it. Pick something you enjoy because you will get better grades. For example, I'd much rather get AAA in like Drama, Art and History than get CCC In Maths, further maths and physics.
Reply 12
Original post by TheGreatPumpkin
Think of it like a puzzle, you're shown how to do it, then given a more complex one and told to complete it.

Right so you have to do a lot of individual practise of what you're taught?
Reply 13
Original post by Wimsett
Hi all,

I had the same thought process as you- not wanting a maths career but thinking it was a good general choice. I did extremely well in all of my GCSEs (9A* 1A). I found maths somewhat challanging but worked hard and did well. I took it for AS and it's a whole another world. I did badly, and even though that was partly due to a bad stats teacher, I'm still pretty sure I wouldn't have done well with a good teacher.
I would say if you don't need it don't take it. Better to get a good grade in an easier subject than an awful grade in maths. It's difficult and for me wasn't enjoyable. The best advice I could give is (please) do the subjects you really want to do and are good at. If you're not sure it's probably a bad sign- it definitely was for me. It was very stressful and I can imagine it would be for anyone relying on hard work rather than a naturally mathsy mind!
Good luck!
Reply 14
Original post by yoMilkSheikh
If it isn't a consistent enjoyment , I say leave it. Pick something you enjoy because you will get better grades. For example, I'd much rather get AAA in like Drama, Art and History than get CCC In Maths, further maths and physics.

Yeah of course, I think enjoyment is very important- what worries me is that it might lessen my options for beyond sixth form, also if I decided not to take maths to AS I would have to choose another to do in lower sixth- I wouldn't want this to be a really demanding one especially if I were to not get an AS, basically I don't want to waste time or energy so I have to factor in my alternative options.
Reply 15
Original post by annaj97
I had the same thought process as you- not wanting a maths career but thinking it was a good general choice. I did extremely well in all of my GCSEs (9A* 1A). I found maths somewhat challanging but worked hard and did well. I took it for AS and it's a whole another world. I did badly, and even though that was partly due to a bad stats teacher, I'm still pretty sure I wouldn't have done well with a good teacher.
I would say if you don't need it don't take it. Better to get a good grade in an easier subject than an awful grade in maths. It's difficult and for me wasn't enjoyable. The best advice I could give is (please) do the subjects you really want to do and are good at. If you're not sure it's probably a bad sign- it definitely was for me. It was very stressful and I can imagine it would be for anyone relying on hard work rather than a naturally mathsy mind!
Good luck!

This is really interesting so thanks, what made it so difficult and stressful for you?
Pros: easy
cons: easy
Reply 17
Also could someone tell me what the exams are like?
Reply 18
Original post by SalazarSlytherin
Pros: easy
cons: easy

You found it all easy?
I'm a grade C/B students and chose maths A level.

I love maths though but just need to work harder I think

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending