The Student Room Group

AQA AS Chemistry unit 1 resit May 27th 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A2ScienceGuy
For the question on the highest melting point, I was contemplating Aluminium (as it was 3+) and Silicon, but I put Aluminium, which is wrong. I gave a good, full explanation but any ideas if they will put CE=0 or if they have in the past for a similar question, or will they credit the explanation part?

It will be chemical error I am afraid :/
For the question on the highest melting point, I was contemplating Aluminium (as it was 3+) and Silicon, but I put Aluminium, which is wrong. I gave a good, full explanation but any ideas if they will put CE=0 or if they have in the past for a similar question, or will they credit the explanation part?

check 2015 chem 1 first question.
Original post by A Sajid
rahhh youre pengers

Thanks lol

I think it would be CE=0 man, since they always dont credit the explanation if the initial element is wrong. If it was BP you would have been right with Al though.
That cheeky copper carbonate question though, chucking in some unit 5 knowledge for the resits lol
I drew 6 bonding pairs, named it octahedral but put 90 and 120 (it's 90 and 180 I know 🙄) for the bond angles for the first shape.

Then I drew 4 bonding pairs in a square planar and one lone pair at there top and said the bond angle was 90 for the second shape.

Was its out of 4 or 5 marks? I think it was 5? And if so what mark should I have gotten for that question? I'm hoping like 4/5 but I'm just not sure if they would allow 90 for the second shape because although I drew a square planar, the lone pair surely would've had some effect on the angle.
Thanks! Also, instead of displayed formula for the isomerism, I used structural formula... would they allow that either?
For the splitting molecule question or whatever it was I got C14H28 not C14H30 so where did I go wrong???

Made so many mistakes 🙄 This was supposed to be my easiest exam
Original post by xambercx
For the splitting molecule question or whatever it was I got C14H28 not C14H30 so where did I go wrong???

Made so many mistakes 🙄 This was supposed to be my easiest exam

Maybe u added up an alkene instead of an alkane so missed out on the extra 2 H's?
Thanks! Also, instead of displayed formula for the isomerism, I used structural formula... would they allow that either?

If it asks for displayed, I'm pretty sure they will only accept displayed
Original post by xambercx
I drew 6 bonding pairs, named it octahedral but put 90 and 120 (it's 90 and 180 I know 🙄) for the bond angles for the first shape.

Then I drew 4 bonding pairs in a square planar and one lone pair at there top and said the bond angle was 90 for the second shape.

Was its out of 4 or 5 marks? I think it was 5? And if so what mark should I have gotten for that question? I'm hoping like 4/5 but I'm just not sure if they would allow 90 for the second shape because although I drew a square planar, the lone pair surely would've had some effect on the angle.

You will be penalized for putting 120 (and you would also be penalized for putting 180 anyways because they are all 90 in an octahedral), and the shape was seesaw BAs: 90, 120, 180 for the second one so you'll lose that mark. I think it was /4 so you'll get 2 marks.
Original post by Jackmilne95
That cheeky copper carbonate question though, chucking in some unit 5 knowledge for the resits lol

How did it input unit 5 knowledge?
Paper was good tbh. Felt a little harder than most previous papers probably due to the new-ish style.. and a few odd parts to it.

I do think I messed up on the percentage yield one though. :frown:

Original post by beckalouu
Oh dammit I don't know how but I got like 1.60% for the percentage yield? Really panicking now... Have to put a lot of work into units 2, 4 and 5 then :'(

I also got 1.60%.
(edited 7 years ago)
The mass spectrometer question was pretty sneaky I thought because I read it and answered it but then when I re-read it I ended up changing my answer because it asked for similarities and differences between the mass spectrum that is produced not just in general so at first I put it would produce 2+ and possibly 3+ ions but then I changed it to it would have shorter peaks because the m/z is smaller due to the production of 2+ and 3+ ions. Did anyone else notice this? For the similarity I put that they would have the same abundance, I was just guessing really but think that's right...
Original post by Bloom77
It's obvious that the grade boundaries would rise

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I recall correctly, the grade boundries were slightly lowered from the average. It was 76% for an A grade. Our school told us the average is usually 80% for an A in most subjects.

It was a standard paper.
Original post by Bailey2j09
How did it input unit 5 knowledge?

You could use the observation for the CuCO3 ion I guess, however just saying effervescence was sufficient.
Original post by vinchy
I put same abundance and different m/z

So did I
image.png
Original post by RME11
You will be penalized for putting 120 (and you would also be penalized for putting 180 anyways because they are all 90 in an octahedral), and the shape was seesaw BAs: 90, 120, 180 for the second one so you'll lose that mark. I think it was /4 so you'll get 2 marks.

Its 90 and 180? We didn't need to name the specific shape I'm sure I will get the mark for putting 4 bonding pairs and 1 lone pair even if it wasn't entirely spaced out correctly.

I'm sure it was out of 5? 3 marks for first shape (shape, name and angle) and 2 marks for second shape (shape and angle) if so I should get 3 hopefully?
Reply 398

C=0
It came up as the first question on last year's paper
Reply 399
Original post by RME11

It was out of 6

Quick Reply

Latest