The Student Room Group

By1 wjec 2016

How did everyone find it?
I thought it was a tough paper, most likely going to resit next year );

9 marker was mint though.
I thought it was a disgusting paper haha ! But yeah, the essay question was probably the best and easiest bit of it all :s-smilie:
What was your 9 marker on? :smile:
Original post by RedRosesBloom
What was your 9 marker on? :smile:

It was on inhibition. It had an enzyme with a long name and a chemical structure drawing thingy of its substrate, alongside another picture of a similar-looking molecule and then another one of phenylalanine. On the enzyme you could see one area where the substrate could fit in (active site) and an allosteric site which looked to be like the phenylalanine molecule, so you basically had to describe why the enzyme could only break down the substrate, and how both of the inhibitors shown inhibit the enzyme.

One of the only questions on it that made sense :ashamed2:
Original post by bonney12
It was on inhibition. It had an enzyme with a long name and a chemical structure drawing thingy of its substrate, alongside another picture of a similar-looking molecule and then another one of phenylalanine. On the enzyme you could see one area where the substrate could fit in (active site) and an allosteric site which looked to be like the phenylalanine molecule, so you basically had to describe why the enzyme could only break down the substrate, and how both of the inhibitors shown inhibit the enzyme.

Hopefully you still did well, I did the Eduqas one and the marker was on the importance of the diagrams shown below, so meiosis and mitosis and why one of the leads to a tumour being formed and not the other (something along those lines anyway) :P
Eduqas was so hard! Never seen a paper like that it was vile
Hopefully you still did well, I did the Eduqas one and the marker was on the importance of the diagrams shown below, so meiosis and mitosis and why one of the leads to a tumour being formed and not the other (something along those lines anyway) :P

God I hope so too but I doubt it, nobody found that exam easy and I'm usually an A-grade student :P

Oh well that doesn't sound like too bad a question overall - did you find it easy? I mean it's all about remembering oncogenes and that sort of thing I guess. or something along the lines of the cell cycle at least! I hope you get a good grade :smile:
I did wjec too and the paper was so so hard and confusing:frown: I'm usually an A grade student too and I hated the paper
God I hope so too but I doubt it, nobody found that exam easy and I'm usually an A-grade student :P

Oh well that doesn't sound like too bad a question overall - did you find it easy? I mean it's all about remembering oncogenes and that sort of thing I guess. or something along the lines of the cell cycle at least! I hope you get a good grade :smile:
Thank you, you too! :smile: I really liked the 9 mark question compared to the rest of the paper, but I didn't have time to write much because I run out of time and had to go back and rush some other questions I left till the end! I found it quite tricky, it was pretty much all applied questions. I looked at the first question when I opened the paper and I was like... this is nice, I started to lose hope as I progressed on. xD

True, and the rest was a crock of shait
Thank you, you too! :smile: I really liked the 9 mark question compared to the rest of the paper, but I didn't have time to write much because I run out of time and had to go back and rush some other questions I left till the end! I found it quite tricky, it was pretty much all applied questions. I looked at the first question when I opened the paper and I was like... this is nice, I started to lose hope as I progressed on. xD

Yeah it was the same for me, the 9-marker was great! I did end up skipping like half the paper to get to that 9-market though so like as time progressed and I was trying to make sense of fish urine and cells at the bottom of gill plates (like what even was that) I ended up running out of time. I know at least one of my questions was left unanswered, I only actually finished one of the maths questions (hoping for method marks really). Sucks to be a student who remembered the entire book and none of it was useful eh... ah well.

Actually, when I opened the booklet I was like "oh... ****." because I saw mitosis which, although I was confident on, had absolutely shocking pictures. They have an arrow pointing to the green blob and ask you to identify the structures... took me like 5 minutes to work out they meant the chromosomes but I wasn't even sure then that my answer was right! I think I just sort of panicked when I saw some of the questions and so skipped them, expecting to have time at the end when I didn't.

Ah well, low grade boundaries may get me a grade... I wanted to go to med school but I'm like already sure that's not going to happen because of this exam :biggrin: love WJEC.
Reply 11
Yeah it was the same for me, the 9-marker was great! I did end up skipping like half the paper to get to that 9-market though so like as time progressed and I was trying to make sense of fish urine and cells at the bottom of gill plates (like what even was that) I ended up running out of time. I know at least one of my questions was left unanswered, I only actually finished one of the maths questions (hoping for method marks really). Sucks to be a student who remembered the entire book and none of it was useful eh... ah well.

Actually, when I opened the booklet I was like "oh... ****." because I saw mitosis which, although I was confident on, had absolutely shocking pictures. They have an arrow pointing to the green blob and ask you to identify the structures... took me like 5 minutes to work out they meant the chromosomes but I wasn't even sure then that my answer was right! I think I just sort of panicked when I saw some of the questions and so skipped them, expecting to have time at the end when I didn't.

Ah well, low grade boundaries may get me a grade... I wanted to go to med school but I'm like already sure that's not going to happen because of this exam :biggrin: love WJEC.

Those plant organelles were a bit of a joke.

It was a chloroplast because it's green.
Original post by xColourReign
It was a chloroplast because it's green.

Oh no the green I meant was on the first mitosis question, the green blob at the middle of the spindle. I knew it was a chloroplast on the Spirogyra question.
This paper was an absolute joke, nothing like the specimen paper! I hope the second unit is better because I wont be getting a biology a level otherwise
Anyone have this paper? cheers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending