The Student Room Group

Maths A-Level, Pros and Cons?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Wimsett
This is really interesting so thanks, what made it so difficult and stressful for you?

The pace of the course was hard to keep up with, and I relied on hard work rather than natural ability. I think you need a mathsy mind to keep up. Also really look into how much it would limit your options, because I think it's a lot less than you think. If you do choose it I would say keep up from day 1. If you don't understand something sort it there and then, DO NOT wait. This will give you the best chance!😊
please can someone show me an example of A level maths work. I want to see for myself rather than hearing stories. Thanks!!
Reply 22
Original post by _Xenon_
I'm a grade C/B students and chose maths A level.

I love maths though but just need to work harder I think

How are you finding it?
Original post by _Xenon_

You have to get an A/A* at GCSE to do A-level math at my school. you're lucky.
Reply 24
Original post by annaj97
The pace of the course was hard to keep up with, and I relied on hard work rather than natural ability. I think you need a mathsy mind to keep up. Also really look into how much it would limit your options, because I think it's a lot less than you think. If you do choose it I would say keep up from day 1. If you don't understand something sort it there and then, DO NOT wait. This will give you the best chance!😊

Ok thanks this was helpful, I'm really trying not to make the wrong decision. I think over summer I'll have a look at the syllabus- maybe study some sort of 'bridge' work, research about alternatives if i wanted to go down a science route- and I can always change once I've started.
Reply 25
Original post by _Xenon_
please can someone show me an example of A level maths work. I want to see for myself rather than hearing stories. Thanks!!

I agree, I'm really curious to know how everything really is.
My opinion is that if you do really well at GCSE (high A*) then AS level maths will be a walk in the park, as I find that a lot of the AS level is the high A* GCSE maths, but in a slightly different context
Original post by Wimsett
I agree, I'm really curious to know how everything really is.

Just have a look at some past papers
Reply 28
Original post by Bosssman
Just have a look at some past papers

For some reason I've never considered doing this haha
Original post by Wimsett
For some reason I've never considered doing this haha

116 PAGE DULL SPECIFICATION , lol
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/specifications/alevel/AQA-6360-W-SP-14.PDF
Hi which units are AS maths?
Any recommendations for how to get a headstart in AS maths?
Original post by _Xenon_
Hi which units are AS maths?

C1, C2, and any applied module with a 1 after it
Original post by _Xenon_
Any recommendations for how to get a headstart in AS maths?

Just make sure you can do GCSE maths to a very high standard, then have a look at a Core 1 textbook
Original post by Wimsett
Right so you have to do a lot of individual practise of what you're taught?

Yeah, basically.
There are no cons.
Reply 36
Original post by Trapz99
There are no cons.

Whys that?
Original post by _Xenon_

buy the textbook after your gcses and start working through it.
Original post by Bosssman
Just make sure you can do GCSE maths to a very high standard, then have a look at a Core 1 textbook

Where should i buy it from? I want to do some over the summer you see as i'm quite smart but just a bit slow.

Thanks.
Original post by The gains kinggg
buy the textbook after your gcses and start working through it.

From CGP?

Quick Reply