The Student Room Group

How much do you spend on your monthly shopping?

Q) How much do you spend on your monthly shopping? @ University students. --> food

I just want to see the wide range of money spent on your monthly shopping as I'm hoping to budget by planning ahead. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Q) How much do you spend on your monthly shopping? @ University students.

I just want to see the wide range of money spent on your monthly shopping as I'm hoping to budget by planning ahead. :smile:

Food shopping or all shopping in general, for food i would say £100 a month and i'd say i spent £30-40 on everything else such as clothes and toilteries (but i was quite the planner and cheapskate at uni, still am really:P)
Reply 2
Q) How much do you spend on your monthly shopping? @ University students.

On Food?
Original post by claireestelle
Food shopping or all shopping in general, for food i would say £100 a month and i'd say i spent £30-40 on everything else such as clothes and toilteries (but i was quite the planner and cheapskate at uni, still am really:P)

food shopping. my bad for not making it clear. :frown:

Original post by M14B
On Food?

Yeah!
Reply 4

Yeah!

Around £50 for me, cuz my parents visited me fortnightly and brought shopping with them every time

No problemo, for me £100 was pretty doable as i had decent freezer space so would portion meat off and had an aldi or lidl near by and every other supermarket delivered to me, but not every uni city is like that. As long as you meal plan, buy non-branded food and cook as much from scratch as possible, an average of £25 a week is pretty easy in my mind:smile:
£50 per week on food, but that budget allows for things like foil/clingfilm, washing up liquid and cleaning products etc.
Original post by hezzlington
£50 per week on food, but that budget allows for things like foil/clingfilm, washing up liquid and cleaning products etc.

So £50/week --> £200/month would be sufficient on food. scratch £10-15 off for this products = £35/week --> £140/month? Do you mind me asking what uni you got to? :smile:

Original post by claireestelle
No problemo, for me £100 was pretty doable as i had decent freezer space so would portion meat off and had an aldi or lidl near by and every other supermarket delivered to me, but not every uni city is like that. As long as you meal plan, buy non-branded food and cook as much from scratch as possible, an average of £25 a week is pretty easy in my mind:smile:

I definitely agree. Meal prep = key.

How much do you spend on food shopping monthly? @woodymkc
Chicken = £25 lasts me like 2 weeks tops = £50/month :sigh:

everything is so expensive :lol: I just want to compare how much other people life off on monthly food shopping.

Oh and always keep a ready meal in that you can just chuck in the microwave/oven, that stopped me buying a few takeaways after long days:smile:
Q) How much do you spend on your monthly shopping? @ University students. --> food

Probably about £50-£60 per month all in

(I shop at Aldi)
Around £100-120 a month on food Mostly shop at Asda and Aldi.

Hello :smile:

Before I went to university I did a 'test shop' for myself to see how much I'd need. I planned out my meals for the week, added snacks, drinks etc and decided I could do a shop for the week at £25 if I was shopping at cheap places like Aldi. When I got to university I found that some weeks it could be that, others it would be £20 or £30 - it just depended. After a while in my first year I started doing a joint shop with my flat mates and between four of us, we did a shop for £40 meaning we only spent £10 each a week on shopping and this could last us anything from just the week to two weeks depending on what we made. We took it in turns to cook meals etc and shared the responsibility and ingredients.

In my second year, I was in a house share and did the same thing - a joint shop. This meant the most I was spending per week on a shop was either £10 or £15 - never more. I've always found shopping with people better - but others don't like that or don't get the opportunity.

If I was shopping alone, I'd say I'd still be looking at £25 a week. :smile:
I live with my boyfriend, so £75 a week is our food shop. But he works full time so I'd say it balances out, and we ca afford luxuries so we have them. (Steaks, Ben & Jerry's, Tescos Finest and all those other bits and bobs that add up)

My biggest tip would be to buy spices/cupboard filler foods in bulk at the beginning of term (£20 will buy you one pot of eachessential spice, or buy a rack from Argos or whatever) and you'll be set, that way you only need stuff like tinned tomatos, chickpeas, black beans etc an you can make a lot of meals out of spices and tinned food.

About £120 a month
So £50/week --> £200/month would be sufficient on food. scratch £10-15 off for this products = £35/week --> £140/month? Do you mind me asking what uni you got to? :smile:

How much do you spend on food shopping monthly? @woodymkc
Chicken = £25 lasts me like 2 weeks tops = £50/month :sigh:

everything is so expensive :lol: I just want to compare how much other people life off on monthly food shopping.

You could do it on half of that. No clue where you're spending that much on chicken.
I spend between £10 and £20 every week, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. I shop at tesco and a lot of their everyday value range is good and fits a student budget.

As others have said, it helps to bulk buy certain things and to think about what meals you're making each day, thats what helped me to keep food costs low and still eat well (and healthily for the most part).
probably £25-30 a week, but I definitely spend more than you need to, I don't like eating cheaply and I know if I buy stuff I don't want I'll just break and order a takeaway
Food, I used to spend like £140 a month then i suddenly thought that there was a hole in my bank account.... just found out I was hopeless with food shopping (I felt so inferior when i went with flatmates and they'd buy **** loads of food and I felt so poor if i bought a few).

Anyway, after doing my online shopping online, I spend about £60-80 a month. I usually do two week shops that's from £30-50.

Quick Reply

Latest