The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Mathematics A Higher Paper 2016 Unofficial Markscheme

Scroll to see replies

what about the first question???
Original post by Asha Malik
what about the first question???

What about it? 30cm^2*25cm = 750cm^3
Original post by NeedsHelpalot
On this paper i think i got 76 ( i made alot of silly mistakes) so how much fo you think i'll need on the next paper for an A*

It's not unusual, many A/A* students do not get the grade they should get, not because they couldn't do the A/A* questions but because they make mistakes in the first 10 questions.

There is nothing worse than getting 5 marks for a vectors or graph transformation or surds question only to give back those marks in the first 10 questions due to mistakes.

The first 10 questions are as important as the last 10 and some more-able students tend to not concentrate on these because they are easy/ boring or whatever. On the next paper, slow down and underline key words. Do not give marks away.

Regarding what you'll need in the next paper, don't focus on that, just aim for 100%. Fully understand the usual suspects that come up on the calculator paper. Ensure you write down what you are going to put on the calculator before doing it and CHECK, CHECK, CHECK !!

Good luck
From what i remember of my answrs i only have 25 marks i made so many stupid mistakes better revise for the calcuator need 45 marks no to get C when i really wanted a B
Original post by 34908seikj
I don't know, I personally found this exam pretty easy and think there's going to be a high grade boundary (depending on the calc), but lots of others are saying it was pretty hard.

Rough estimate would be around 165+ for an A*, might be lower though take it with a huge grain of salt. - It will probably be lower than this.

So I'd say 87+ on calc to be safe.

Comparing this first (non-calculator) paper to past papers, I would say it was neither easy or hard overall - it was a fair paper IMO.The first part was pretty straightforward, then it picked up pace and got harder quite quickly in the second half. So, overall I think the paper was fair.

It depends on the calculator paper really, but I would predict the grade boundaries would be similar to the boundaries of the June 2014 papers. So, something like:

Out of 200 (i.e. both papers):

A* = 164/165

A = 133/134

B = 95/96

C = 57/58
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Emilin
Comparing this first (non-calculator) paper to past papers, I would say it was neither easy or hard overall - it was a fair paper IMO.The first part was pretty straightforward, then it picked up pace and got harder quite quickly in the second half. So, overall I think the paper was fair.

It depends on the calculator paper really, but I would predict the grade boundaries would be similar to the boundaries of the June 2014 papers. So, something like:

A* = 164/165

A = 133/134

B = 95/96

C = 57/58

I think the grades are likely to be slightly higher but I think you are in the right ballpark (depends on Paper 2).

".........got hard quite quickly...." - Basic fractions for 6 marks at Question 18???

But I agree there were some tough questions.
Original post by Emilin

A* = 164/165

A = 133/134

B = 95/96

C = 57/58

So in tha case i should get 90s in the next to be secure with an a star
Original post by DrPeter
It's not unusual, many A/A* students do not get the grade they should get, not because they couldn't do the A/A* questions but because they make mistakes in the first 10 questions.

There is nothing worse than getting 5 marks for a vectors or graph transformation or surds question only to give back those marks in the first 10 questions due to mistakes.

The first 10 questions are as important as the last 10 and some more-able students tend to not concentrate on these because they are easy/ boring or whatever. On the next paper, slow down and underline key words. Do not give marks away.

Regarding what you'll need in the next paper, don't focus on that, just aim for 100%. Fully understand the usual suspects that come up on the calculator paper. Ensure you write down what you are going to put on the calculator before doing it and CHECK, CHECK, CHECK !!

Good luck

Thank you this is helpful i hope i get ab A* regardless of the 24 marks i dropped
q2b in your pdf is wrong isn't it?- nearest vertex should be at (-1,3), not (-1,4)??
Yup it was 69*.
anyone know the predications for the calculator and i just did the calculator from 2015 and i got 35 and last week i did 2014 both non cal and cal and got 68
Reply 2071
For the last question i put 0.25 - 1/(2*sqrt(6)), is that right?
Original post by Elleee1234
anyone know the predications for the calculator and i just did the calculator from 2015 and i got 35 and last week i did 2014 both non cal and cal and got 68

You're getting around the same marks as me but yeah there are some topics that frequently come up in calculator papers revise those topics and you should be fine. Let's get that C!!!
Original post by 11ahf
No. Was 100-25pi simplifies to 25(4-pi).

No, you're wrong, although both are divisible by 25, doing so would change the actual value of the end answer. The final answer is 100-25 pi
Reply 2074
is there a mark scheme for the foundation paper?
Can some one explain to me what method marks are? some people say you get method marks even if you use the wrong numbers but have the right method of approaching the question?
who misses the stem and leaf
do you thing the mixed fractions was worth 6 marks?:u:
Question 21 about probability i did 8/10 and 2/10 or whatever it was instead of 0.8 and 0.2 is that okay. and when i multiplied them together for part B i did 9.5/10 × 0.5/10 and i got 4 something out of 100 i wrote it as 4.../100?
Original post by Joshu19
When does the grade boundaries officaly come out ??

The day before results day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending