The Student Room Group

English Lit Poetry AQA- 'To His Coy Mistress' and 'Sonnet 116'

I compared these for the relationships cluster, anyone else? If so what did you talk about? I had a lot of ideas so I may have waffled- structure was a bit questionable. But, overall I think they were good to compare and I managed to get a lot down.
And what kind of things did everyone talk about in the unseen?
Reply 1
Nobody ? :frown:
Reply 2
Maybe I just chose to do a slightly obscure comparison...
I chose In Paris With You with To His Coy Mistress, only thing is I didn't talk about form, I did talk about structure / language but does anyone know if I can still get in to the top band without taking about form?

For the unseen I talked about how to weapons are presented as sinister and evil (alliteration of the "f" sounds and the hunger metaphor), and also how the soldier is presented as having very rough characteristic (zinc teeth for example). Also talked about the religious links at the end with the apple and god not allowing him to enter heaven (basically trying to BS my way through to get my marks). Again didn't talk about form so I'm not sure if that is top band?
Reply 4
Original post by notarealname2000
I chose In Paris With You with To His Coy Mistress, only thing is I didn't talk about form, I did talk about structure / language but does anyone know if I can still get in to the top band without taking about form?

For the unseen I talked about how to weapons are presented as sinister and evil (alliteration of the "f" sounds and the hunger metaphor), and also how the soldier is presented as having very rough characteristic (zinc teeth for example). Also talked about the religious links at the end with the apple and god not allowing him to enter heaven (basically trying to BS my way through to get my marks). Again didn't talk about form so I'm not sure if that is top band?

No I think thats fine, honestly I didn't even talk about structure let alone form- just language
My best friend and another friend of mine did that

I compare it to The farmer's bride
Reply 6
Original post by Wimsett
I compared these for the relationships cluster, anyone else? If so what did you talk about? I had a lot of ideas so I may have waffled- structure was a bit questionable. But, overall I think they were good to compare and I managed to get a lot down.
And what kind of things did everyone talk about in the unseen?

I did THCM and Sonnet 116- contrasted their ideas of what true love is and how TCHM talks about time being more powerful than love whereas Sonnet 116 is the other way round. Found unseen really hard- didn't really have anything to talk about other than how the guns turned him into a weapon of war and they also controlled him which is essentially the same point into two paragraphs.

Hope it went well, best of luck x
I also did THCM and Sonnet 116. I talked about the dramatic monologue form vs the sonnet form and ideas about time in relation to love. For the unseen poem I talked about how the weapons corrupted him, how the word "nuzzle" had connotations of affection which could be Wilfred Owen saying that it was better to die from the bullet than to let yourself be controlled by it, and how he seems to be saying that it doesn't make the boy evil in the last stanza, or at least, it doesn't physically changing. Also, the fact that it was God that didn't change his appearance physically shows that Wilfred Owen thinks that war is not righteous and so not controlled by God.
Reply 8
Original post by Miki.F
I did THCM and Sonnet 116- contrasted their ideas of what true love is and how TCHM talks about time being more powerful than love whereas Sonnet 116 is the other way round. Found unseen really hard- didn't really have anything to talk about other than how the guns turned him into a weapon of war and they also controlled him which is essentially the same point into two paragraphs.

Hope it went well, best of luck x

Thanks for the response, yeah I talked about a similar thing for one of my comparisons- I talked about true and unconditional love and power too. And I wouldn't worry for the unseen, that sounds pretty good to me :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by OneTrueGeek
I also did THCM and Sonnet 116. I talked about the dramatic monologue form vs the sonnet form and ideas about time in relation to love. For the unseen poem I talked about how the weapons corrupted him, how the word "nuzzle" had connotations of affection which could be Wilfred Owen saying that it was better to die from the bullet than to let yourself be controlled by it, and how he seems to be saying that it doesn't make the boy evil in the last stanza, or at least, it doesn't physically changing. Also, the fact that it was God that didn't change his appearance physically shows that Wilfred Owen thinks that war is not righteous and so not controlled by God.

Thats a really good analysis :smile:
omg I did these two as well. I talked about how Shakespeare's idea of love was different to the other one and how love is more emotional not physical etc.
Original post by starlight15
my best friend and another friend of mine did that

i compare it to the farmer's bride

yes me tooo!

Quick Reply