The Student Room Group

When people say that Gerrard was better than Lampard

:lol: Yeah... ok.

Reply 1
Think it's fair to say that Gerrard's mistakes were flattened by the infinite number of times he rescued Liverpool.
Not much difference between them, both hugely prolific goalscoring midfielders, both brilliant at pens, both arguably the greatest PL players for their respective clubs.. I guess Gerrard had a better range of passing, was more versatile etc. but I'm probably being biased :wink:
Scholes>Gerrrad and Lampard
Reply 3
Original post by Hugs31
Think it's fair to say that Gerrard's mistakes were flattened by the infinite number of times he rescued Liverpool.
Not much difference between them, both hugely prolific goalscoring midfielders, both brilliant at pens, both arguably the greatest PL players for their respective clubs.. I guess Gerrard had a better range of passing, was more versatile etc. but I'm probably being biased :wink:

Pretty much this, although I would pick Lampard over Gerrard.
Reply 4
strong 2 minute video
England's biggest mistake was to insist on playing both of them together. For at least 8 years.
Doesn't matter because Scholes is better than both of them.
Original post by sr90
Doesn't matter because Scholes is better than both of them.

Except he wasn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Euro 2004:

James
Neville, Terry, Campbell, A Cole
Beckham, Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard
Rooney, Owen

How did that team not win a ****ing tournament? Or even make the SFs?
Reply 9
Original post by Mackay
Euro 2004:

James
Neville, Terry, Campbell, A Cole
Beckham, Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard
Rooney, Owen

How did that team not win a ****ing tournament? Or even make the SFs?

Because the midfielders were shoe horned into a shite formation designed to try and accommodate them.
Reply 10
Original post by scriggy
Because the midfielders were shoe horned into a shite formation designed to try and accommodate them.

That didn't make a difference, to be honest. Gerrard was arguably our man of the match against Switzerland, Scholes scored twice against Croatia, Lampard had the game of his life against Portugal.

I guess Rooney's injury massively affected our mentality in the QFs.
Reply 11
What doesn't make sense is why England didn't just play a diamond?

Now England play a diamond when their central midfielders are ****...
Original post by bammy jastard 27
What doesn't make sense is why England didn't just play a diamond?

Now England play a diamond when their central midfielders are ****...

IIRC, when Sven was around we always played with a diamond, and still fell short.
Reply 13
Original post by James.Carnell
IIRC, when Sven was around we always played with a diamond, and still fell short.

It was a wide diamond.
And didn't we have Beckham in the CDM role at one point and Gerrard on the left. Swear that was a thing.
Lets not pretend they were completely conned against Portugal. Beckhams dead penalty against France too.
Reply 16
Original post by Jimmy Seville
Lets not pretend they were completely conned against Portugal. Beckhams dead penalty against France too.

France game should have been sewn up by the time Zidane decided to get his arse in gear.

Quick Reply

Latest