The Student Room Group

Sixth form AND college??

Hey guys, so my schools sixth form have decided they're not going to offer English as an A-Level next year (ridiculous, I know right?!), and for some strange reason my mother thinks I'll be able to do government and politics and sociology (my two other chosen a-levels) at school and English lit/lang at college, at the same time.

I think she is absolutely ridiculous, and my local college don't offer gov pol as an option. Obviously I am trying to get my school to re-offer English, however I'm just trying to prove a point to my mum right now haha. If you know anything surrounding college and sixth form please could you let me know, thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Thegovpolgirl
Hey guys, so my schools sixth form have decided they're not going to offer English as an A-Level next year (ridiculous, I know right?!), and for some strange reason my mother thinks I'll be able to do government and politics and sociology (my two other chosen a-levels) at school and English lit/lang at college, at the same time.

I think she is absolutely ridiculous, and my local college don't offer gov pol as an option. Obviously I am trying to get my school to re-offer English, however I'm just trying to prove a point to my mum right now haha. If you know anything surrounding college and sixth form please could you let me know, thanks.

You technically could do this.

However, it would depend on timetabling and location. If both places offer a class at 9am on Mondays you won't be able to attend both lessons. You might be lucky and find somewhere that will work, and will also have enough time to travel between them.

Another option would be to look into private study. You would study the work for the subject at home, and then just need somewhere to agree for you to take the exam there. You can pay hundreds of pounds for places like NEC who will send you books and give you feedback on work, or you can decide to do it yourself with textbooks and TSR. It depends on your learning style and how much free time you have.Many people will try to do exams as a private candidate but some are more successful than others.

The other problem you may have is that you need to take enough subjects to be classed as a full time student. If not, the school/college won't get government funding for you. You may need to take 3 subjects at school/college and then do English as a private candidate.
Original post by Thegovpolgirl

Unless your school and college have a formal relationship to enable this to happen then it probably can't
1. For timetable reasons - you can't be in two places at the same time
2. for funding reasons - the government pays your school for educating you, being a part time student in two places is problematic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
English is a load of tat anyway. I recommend you do Maths and Further Maths. A high proportion of further maths students get A*s, just saying.

Quick Reply

Latest