The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Is it very common in areas with a lot of Sikhs, like the West Midlands and London?

Where I am living there are very few Sikhs and a lot of Muslims, and I am Sikh guy that is currently hoping to marry a Muslim girl in my University.

I have mentioned it to quite a few friends, and none of my Sikh friends spoke against it. Some said, 'It would be more simple to marry someone in the same religion, however I don't have anything against what you want to do.' To be honest most of my Sikh friends are very liberal in their views.

The problem is a handful(not most) of my Muslim friends are literally objecting to it. They are saying things like, 'This is an act against God.', and 'You're going to be ruining someone's life.' and telling me that I simply can't proceed with this.

I honestly don't see what's wrong with it. My parents are also fine with it. But I don't know what to do now.

The Islamanazi's will be on your case. Be careful.
Original post by theunitedGOAT
The Islamanazi's will be on your case. Be careful.

And that has already happened. I don't see why they want to impose these matters on others. I personally don't hold anything against what they believe or if they do not want to participate in inter-faith marriage themselves, but I don't see the need to impose their values on others.
My parents were in your situation, but reversed. I think the main issue is that its against both religions strictly speaking, but its up to you if you observe that. It depends how seriously you take your religion. A major reason for some objecting would be the matter of raising your children in a faith; obviously as a sikh or muslim. People say both but take it from someone whose experienced it, thats not possible. They contradict each other, so you cant really be two fully. In islam, you can marry people who follow the ibrahimic books, which are essentially books that teach the same concept: the Bible, the Torah and the Quran. Muslims can marry christians and jews too.
I guess in summary it depends on your views. If you're sure you wont conflict, it works. Is she very religious?

And did any of your parents convert to get married?
she aint a muslim were not allowed to date each other and she dating u, i think shes a prending to be one to fit me mate
If you are planning to get married in a gurdwara you have 2 options->
1) Ask her to convert(which i do not recommend unless she wants to - sikhs are told not to convert people by force)
2) Have a civil wedding in the gurdwara

*Note the anand karaj ceremony is between a Sikh and Sikh only please do not even ask the gurdwara comittee if you are allowed to partake in this as it leads to much bigger issues - for example in the UK @ lemmington spa gurdwara a muslim and sikh tried to partake in the anand karaj ceremony in a gurdwara and loads of singhs came and stopped the wedding - this lead to arrests and other controversial actions by the police. I hope this post has helped :-)
Nope, I'm not. But I am aware that their religion expects a conversion before marriage.

So then it won't be able to happen unless you convert. this is a big deal in the Islamic religion as you probably know, if you even tried to date a Muslim woman without the intention of becoming muslim some day so that you can marry her then you run a very high risk of being killed by someone in her community
Hey, I know this thread is quite old....However I’m in the same situation I’m Muslim and my boyfriend is Sikh. We’re both 22 and his family know all about me, however mine do not. Are you guys still together how did it all work out?
Reply 27
Omg I’m also in the same situation, I am muslim and my boyfriend is Sikh I really want to get married to him but at the same time I want to sign a Nikkah and I’m just so stuck and don’t know what to do.
Original post by arz19
Omg I’m also in the same situation, I am muslim and my boyfriend is Sikh I really want to get married to him but at the same time I want to sign a Nikkah and I’m just so stuck and don’t know what to do.

Well these days joint ceremonies take place. Sikh Anand Karaj at Gurdwara, Nikkah at Masjid
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by arz19

Hello, It’s nice to speak to someone in a similar situation as myself! How long have you guys been together? And do your parents know?
Reply 30
Hello, It’s nice to speak to someone in a similar situation as myself! How long have you guys been together? And do your parents know?

We’ve been together for over two years now and I’ve met his parents and his siblings he wants me to meet his grandparents (obviously none of them know were in a relationship, they think we’re friends but it’s quite obvious we’re more than friends I think) but my parents do not know, my mum has heard of him and thinks we’re friends and has told me to stay away from him :frown:
Did you ever end up with him?
I’d be interested to know how you Sikh guys managed to get Muslim girlfriends when “halal dating” is such a big problem we have to get around with Muslim girls. It’s very difficult to approach a relationship with a Muslim girl when they’re so entrenched in their religion. No PDA, no sex before marriage, keep it secret from everyone and all that BS.

I’m from a Muslim Punjabi family but I have more in common with Sikh girls than Muslims. I drink alcohol and love Punjabi music, dance and films but most importantly I would never ask anyone to convert.
I have a similar issue, I am a Sikh Jatti, and the my bf is a Muslim. His family is fine and they do not want me to convert, just take part in their religious events. The issue here is how do I convince my family? They're strict jatt's, what should I do?
Original post by Anonymous972513
I have a similar issue, I am a Sikh Jatti, and the my bf is a Muslim. His family is fine and they do not want me to convert, just take part in their religious events. The issue here is how do I convince my family? They're strict jatt's, what should I do?

My question to you is what does a Muslim guy have to do to get a Sikh girlfriend?
It's very important she talks to her family too, and feels them out, as i'm from a Sikh background too i know if i dated a Muslim girl i wouldn't be allowed back into my house.
Original post by Anonymous972513

If your family are firmly opposed to interfaith marriage or marriage outside of caste traditions, there is nothing that you can do to change their minds.
Particularly if your parents are very strict about religion or have a tradition of marriage to relatives.
Trust your gut instinct and put your safety first.

My mother was almost beaten to death by her father and paternal grandmother after she told them that she had decided to marry an atheist.
She was disinherited, her father never spoke to her again and left instructions that she was not to be allowed to attend his funeral.
Original post by asif007
My question to you is what does a Muslim guy have to do to get a Sikh girlfriend?

I'm not sikh but grew up around quite a few couples in interfaith marriages with the islam-sikh combination.
Make friends with lots of sikhs from liberal backgrounds who are into clubbing, bollywood and totally disinterested in caste.
Fans of the London based Vivek Singh & Iqbal Wahhab restaurants.
Particularly those whose careers are connected to: the restaurant industry, upmarket alcohol businesses, gambling, makeup & fashion or the asian modelling industry.

There's no chance of dating people who are religious traditionalists or nationalists, they are rarely inclined to date or allowed to.
Other 'no go dating areas' are people who have close family members in India that illegally pay dowry, arranged marriages, family tradition of marrying under 24 or only marry relatives/within caste groups.
The more conservative religious element tend to be more welcoming of "white sikhi" converts, than asian guys that believe in other religions or consume alcohol.

With interfaith dating it seems to be more about family traditions, nationality and professional background.
Sometimes I wonder if people were more open minded about interfaith relationships in Britain during the 1970s-80s.
Fewer people with dating deal-breakers about meat, education, salary range, car models and choice of six careers.

Latest