The Student Room Group

The Lone Traveller's Base / TSR Travel Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Legal_eagle2012
Hi there,

I've been to Croatia once, and stayed in Zagreb. I actually enjoyed the city itself, although most people don't really rate it compared to Split or Dubrovnik. I guess having not been to either, I can't really comment on that! However, the main attraction of Zagreb is Plitvice Lakes national park which is about a 2 hour bus journey away (roughly). Certainly up there as one of the most amazing places I've seen, and I'd definitely recommend it!

I've never been to Slovenia, but I've heard Lake Bled is also incredible.

Hope that helps a bit, and feel free to pm if you wanted any more information about Zagreb/Plitvice :smile:

Hello there!
Thank you very much. I'll be sure to check out those places you've mentioned, I'm not planning on going until the summer so it's early days yet:smile: Did you go by yourself?

Will do!:smile:
Original post by The Wavefunction
Hello there!
Thank you very much. I'll be sure to check out those places you've mentioned, I'm not planning on going until the summer so it's early days yet:smile: Did you go by yourself?

Will do!:smile:

Hi!

No problem at all :smile: And yes, I did go by myself. It was the first stop on my two week interrailing trip!
Original post by Legal_eagle2012
Hi!

No problem at all :smile: And yes, I did go by myself. It was the first stop on my two week interrailing trip!

Awh cool! Where else did you go?
Original post by spacepirate-James
I'm very envious of your 2 month travel time, haha! Yes, I think then SE Asia would be perfect for that. As you said, flying into Bangkok will be the cheapest.

I think it would depend where you were flying back from. Say you wanted to go in a circle and fly back out of Bangkok then I think leaving the return in the air would be fine since flights will be cheap regardless; same possibly with places like Mumbai.

But if you didn't want to backtrack, I would be tempted to have a rough end-destination and end-date in mind. You wouldn't need to book it now but flights are much rarer/expensive coming out of places like Laos, Myanmar, Indonesia and you don't want to be caught out with a £900 return flight. Also, depending on when you go travelling, if it's during the Summer/peak seasons then it's likely to be more expensive if you book then rather than before.

I usually have my return flight already arranged so I've never been in your situation and can't help that much sorry! If you're feeling adventurous I would leave it until you get out there, but keep checking the prices occasionally and once you know where you might end up, I would book - assuming you've got internet connection.

I'm envious of myself, great feeling when you can get things sorted to go away for a decent amount of time. Never had this much time free before to explore!

Yes that's good advice thanks. In April I'd imagine the demand would be lower so hopefully prices will be pretty reasonable, just want to make sure I'm not caught with my pants down. I'll plan to head in a circle in that case and get back to Bangkok.

Any advantage heading North from Bangkok, West onto Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and then South Thailand, than doing it the other way round?

Also have you ever got a connection into Cologne airport, any idea what it's like? Could save myself over £100 compared with getting a direct flight.

Thanks again.

Jack
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by The Wavefunction
Awh cool! Where else did you go?

After Zagreb, I did Budapest-Bratislava-Krakow-Prague :smile:
Original post by GasheadJack

Any advantage heading North from Bangkok, West onto Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and then South Thailand, than doing it the other way round?

Also have you ever got a connection into Cologne airport, any idea what it's like? Could save myself over £100 compared with getting a direct flight.

No advantage I can think from the top of my head. If you go from Bangkok to Cambodia [assuming you're going to Angkor Watt] and then to Ho Chi Minh, will probably be more touristy and you'll encounter more backpackers. The other way via Laos first is a bit more off the beaten track. I'd check the weather [read: rain] for the different months as well as when certain festivals might fall where in SE Asia - that might influence which direction you take.

Sadly can't help you with Cologne but I think connections are always a good shout especially if the price is cheaper.

:smile:
Anyone been to Sri Lanka? Going in February for two weeks and absolutely cannot wait. Been a long time since I've been travelling.
Reply 887
Just about to have a 'meeting' with my parents to let them know my summer plans: One month's work in my local town, then I'm hoping to head to China for 6-8 weeks!

My plan is to fly into Beijing/Shanghai and spend a few days in that city before taking a train to Guilin, then onto Yangshuo and attend a language school there for four (?) weeks, then travel back via Chengdu and Xi'an (if heading to Beijing) or Hangzhou, Suzhou and Nanjing (if flying back through Shanghai).
I'm also planning on taking a long weekend out of the school to head to one of the national parks, but not sure which one yet.

Flights, visa, and internal transport seem to be coming in at around £1000; the school is £400 for food, board, and tuition; I'm still trying to work out a budget for the two weeks of actual travelling though!

If I get the green light from my family, I'll be booking the flights next weekend, so wish me luck!

Spoiler

I'm taking my gap year next year and my friends are all going straight to uni so I'll be travelling by myself. I was thinking of going around Eastern Europe but I have no idea where/how to start planning my trip. I think I'd probably go about this time next year which is ages away but my parents want me to make some kind of plan already. Anybody have any advice for a first time female solo traveller?
Make sure you going with a male incase anything happens while traveling alone. Make friends and friendship groups
Original post by ChunkySlith
Make sure you going with a male incase anything happens while traveling alone. Make friends and friendship groups

Nonsense. Providing you take relative precautions and aren't silly travelling on your own as a female is safe enough. No need for a bodyguard.
Sorry, but I disagree with your opinion
Sorry, but I disagree with your opinion

Fair enough, but why?
It all really depends on the person. In certain situations, having a male there isn't going to make a difference. I personally believe it's all about smarts and making rational enough decisions to stay out of trouble.

Lol why, so they can end up thinking I'm attracted to them and awkwardly proposition me half way through the trip? Guys ALWAYS want more. Travelling with one would probably be leading them on in most guys eyes 🙄
As someone who has just returned from travelling alone, I can confirm it's the best adventure I've ever been on!

You have the freedom to do whatever you wish, in addition to the fact that with tonnes of travelers you are never truly alone, so go TRAVEL!!

*shameless plug* - https://jimmybartter.wordpress.com/category/se-asia-australia-new-zealand-201516/
Can anyone who has travelled to Colombia/Peru give me any advice or tell me their favourite places to visit? I'm going there in the summer for a month :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there, I've always wanted to travel. Whilst I'm saving up, I've written a blog about the places I have been and the places I'd like to visit. If you're interested take a look :smile: x https://adventuringwithlove.wordpress.com/2015/07/17/10-places-id-like-to-see-before-i-die/
I want to travel to london!!! They say its beautiful but i dont kow :/ however, i would be excited to go and explore :smile:
Thinking about doing an eastern Baltic whistle-stop this summer. Maybe fly to Helsinki, ferry to Tallinn, bus to Riga potentially briefly stopping in Pärnu and fly home from Riga. Cities look interesting, and certainly once we're out of Helsinki cheaper than usual European prices. Can't be a better time of year to go to that part of the world.

Quick Reply

Latest