The Student Room Group

WJEC BIOLOGY BY1 2016 (NEW AS) Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by valbrechts
its the biggest ******** ive ever seen in my life. The amount of work ive put into revising the whole syllabus has gone to waste. I LITERALLY understand and memorized the whole unit but still struggled.

Here are some of my answers not in order: (simplified)

Sap Vacuole, Chloroplasts
Metaphase, Cytokinesis
1.5 x10^5 (the density question)
Other parts of the cell absorbed the stain which blocks light
cell wall is inelastic which opposes hydrostatic pressure when cytoplasm expands

PS DID ANYONE ELSE WRITE DOWN ATLEAST 4 OSMOSIS RELATED ANSWERS?

Agree with the first two, didn't even have enough time to figure out the density I was having a mental breakdown. I think the stain one was because other organelles such as mitochondria have DNA within them stored as small loops and since the question said it stained DNA then I assumed that would be the problem...
My prediction is 58-59 out for 80 for an A.. 52 for a B...
Original post by bonney12
Agree with the first two, didn't even have enough time to figure out the density I was having a mental breakdown. I think the stain one was because other organelles such as mitochondria have DNA within them stored as small loops and since the question said it stained DNA then I assumed that would be the problem...

Yeah my teacher said that's correct because that's what I put I went to check out of curiosity.
Original post by chemstudent314
me tooo, how did you both find it? I didn't like all the water potentials questions:s and i put leaf as the tissue when its blood, mitosis essay was okay but I feel like i didn't write enough

it was potato?
Original post by hamzakalinle
Didyou guys do a resit or something because my Biology wjec paper didnt have any question of fish. My essay question was on cell division. Did you guys have this too?

Yeah! I was actually getting worried that I'd skipped a page because everyone was going on about fish!

BTW, how did you find the essay Q?
Original post by clairebear101
it was potato?

someone said it was blood:/ i got it wrong either way
Reply 86
It's seemingly wrong but for the dye question I put down that because chromosomes are made of protein and DNA that the free nucleotides and lysosomes in the cytoplasm would be stained. Suppose it is a similar theory to the mitochondrial DNA being stained.
Original post by aledrhys
Meeee, how did you find it?

I thought generally it was an alright paper but I didn't understand the graph questions with the different kinds of transport as i wasn't sure if it wanted diffusion or passive transport as the answer?
Also for some reason I did the immobilised enzyme question and i'm regretting it now!
which 10 marker did you do?
mee, how did you find it? Everyone said it was easy but i find it quite hard tbh:s-smilie:

Yeah I have no idea how it went because I found the electron micrograph really hard to look at? just hoping for the best, what do you think the hardest question was?
Original post by Iloveclouds
Did anyone take the resit with the old spec?

Hey i did the old spec. What did you put for the 6 marker on naming the parts of the plant A-E? And for the question of what was at point P and whats processed from the golgibody question?
Yeah I have no idea how it went because I found the electron micrograph really hard to look at? just hoping for the best, what do you think the hardest question was?

i think the percentage light transmission threw me off and the vacuum part of the enzyme question, me too i found the micrograph really unclear :/
i think the percentage light transmission threw me off and the vacuum part of the enzyme question, me too i found the micrograph really unclear :/

what was the vacuum part of the enzyme question?
Honestly though, how is everyone finding the motivation to revise for BY2? I literally can't make myself read this even though I've forgotten a lot of it, cause I know I will learn it then go in and be asked about like bacteria from Mars -.-
Original post by bonney12
Honestly though, how is everyone finding the motivation to revise for BY2? I literally can't make myself read this even though I've forgotten a lot of it, cause I know I will learn it then go in and be asked about like bacteria from Mars -.-

Honestly I'm just tryiing to forget about BY1 and just get on with BY2. Not looking forward to encountering fish again in the gas exchange topic xD
Reply 94
I did the mitosis one.

I thought generally it was an alright paper but I didn't understand the graph questions with the different kinds of transport as i wasn't sure if it wanted diffusion or passive transport as the answer?
Also for some reason I did the immobilised enzyme question and i'm regretting it now!

Can people stop talking about resits in this thread. The title even says NEW AS
Reply 96
Original post by ForeverAStudent1
Hey i did the old spec. What did you put for the 6 marker on naming the parts of the plant A-E? And for the question of what was at point P and whats processed from the golgibody question?

A Golgi body
B SER
C cell membrane
D cell wall
E ribosomes

Thats what I remember. I wasnt sure about SER because I had never seen SER like that before.

Also for P I put hydrolytic enzymes/digestive enzymes because it said 'Substance'.
Then explained exocytosis.
Original post by Iamjos
A Golgi body
B SER
C cell membrane
D cell wall
E ribosomes

Thats what I remember. I wasnt sure about SER because I had never seen SER like that before.

Also for P I put hydrolytic enzymes/digestive enzymes because it said 'Substance'.
Then explained exocytosis.

I said that P was a protein
Reply 98
Original post by xColourReign
I said that P was a protein

They most likely will accept anything that could be in a lysosome.

We struggled on exactly the same things :frown: I lost all bloody marks on that 4+6 light transmission one then chatted crap for the vacuum one. Also made up an answer for the citric acid as he no idea, it's obvious now tho :frown: everyone's saying it was so easy and that grade boundaries will be low but I made so many small silly mistakes. Plus yeah the massive microscope of a leaf was so unclear and you could barely differentiate between any of it, none of the organelles except the mitochondria looked like anything I'd ever seen before and I've done every past paper there is for BY1. So annoying that I've been getting 95% in all past papers and then probably got a B or a C in that exam :'(

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending