The Student Room Group

Internships and consulting

Scroll to see replies

You'll make great consultants, creating mountains of work out of a single fairly straightforward question.
Original post by OPSthrowaway
You'll make great consultants, creating mountains of work out of a single fairly straightforward question.

Lol, thanks I guess?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by throwawaycon
I mostly agree, and I would absolutely agree that 30k for a chance is a waste of money. Having said that different consulting firms do different work. A generalist grad at pwc is likely to be doing distinctly different work, typically, than a graduate at bain. A tech consultant at Accenture moreso. Pay is also quite variable across the sector (50% higher entry at some). Finally the soft benefits that some firms provide are not insignificant. While differences may be oversold, I think it would be disingenuous to claim that there are none, or even that they are small depending on the firms in question.

No arguments here buddy, given the option to go to MBB/PWC/Accenture it's an easy choice for the brand prestige alone. But as I think we both agree, given 30k + a year of study for a slim chance - not such a great deal.

As for the PWC vs Bain 'type of work' point, in some instances sure, but in my personal experience I've not seen a huge distinction. But hey, maybe that's just the clients I've worked on, I've not done a grad scheme at MBB or PWC so I'm not entirely qualified to pass judgement :tongue:
Reply 23
Original post by OPSthrowaway

Original post by Princepieman
Lol, thanks I guess?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's how you bring in those billable days! :yes:
Thank you every body for your answers. I now would like to know if it is the same for spring week and summer internships ?
And what can I expect in investment banking with King's (Goldman Sachs,Morgan Stanley,...) ? Is it as competitive ?
It depends where you are. McKinsey in Sweden recruits a lot of its cohort from the Stockholm School of Economics. Amsterdam's office recruits a lot from Rotterdam School of Management. I've emailed BCG before and enquired about various universities and how they're perceived, and ones you wouldn't necessarily think of are on their "highly selective" list. For instance, Korea University, Lund University and ANU. If you're a great candidate, you've got a chance at getting an interview, even if you aren't from target schools. Look at other firms too, like A.T. Kearney. MBB isn't everything.
Original post by lecicesterrug
Thank you every body for your answers. I now would like to know if it is the same for spring week and summer internships ?
And what can I expect in investment banking with King's (Goldman Sachs,Morgan Stanley,...) ? Is it as competitive ?

It's not a full blown target for front office finance either, more a 'semi-target' as it were. Of course Kings folk make it to top finance spots (I personally have a bud that got an elite boutique gig this year), but you'd need to be much more of a 'top' candidate than if you were from the the standard set of 'target' unis. Not much point arguing about competition when all of these top careers are fiercely competitive to get into. I.e. don't expect anything, but by all means give it a go.

There are more banks than just GS and MS lol. I think you need to do a bit more research, you're hopping around quite a lot here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Exceptional
It depends where you are. McKinsey in Sweden recruits a lot of its cohort from the Stockholm School of Economics. Amsterdam's office recruits a lot from Rotterdam School of Management. I've emailed BCG before and enquired about various universities and how they're perceived, and ones you wouldn't necessarily think of are on their "highly selective" list. For instance, Korea University, Lund University and ANU. If you're a great candidate, you've got a chance at getting an interview, even if you aren't from target schools. Look at other firms too, like A.T. Kearney. MBB isn't everything.

Korea University? {Nvm, I googled it}

Obviously McK would recruit from the best universities within the geographic regions.. SSE and RSM are top notch b-schools lol

ATK, Monitor Deloitte, OC&C, LEK, OW, Strat& etc all have the same Oxbridge bias; even more so in some cases.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending