The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature 27th May - Conflict Cluster - Discussion Thread

Hello guys, discussion thread for the conflict cluster of the Poetry Across Time paper.
How did it go?
What poems did you use for comparison?
What question did you answer? etc..
Reply 1
I loved the unseen poetry, there was so much to say about it.I chose question 6 which was poppies and compared it to come on come back but most people in my year chose poppies but compared it to out of the blue.I messed up so bad in my comparison as I started doing question 5 but I didn't know what poem to compare it to so I wasted 5 minute deciding on which one but still chose the wrong one and had to restart.lol.I just hope to get a B overall because my inspector call and tkam was kind a of bad.Fingers crossed.
Reply 2
Original post by EssiE34
I loved the unseen poetry, there was so much to say about it.I chose question 6 which was poppies and compared it to come on come back but most people in my year chose poppies but compared it to out of the blue.I messed up so bad in my comparison as I started doing question 5 but I didn't know what poem to compare it to so I wasted 5 minute deciding on which one but still chose the wrong one and had to restart.lol.I just hope to get a B overall because my inspector call and tkam was kind a of bad.Fingers crossed.

I spent 20 minutes just deciding what question to do -_- ...
Chose Q6 and compared it to 'At the Border' - worst comparison?

Had 10 minutes left for unseen poetry, I don't think I even read the poem fully I just read the question and literally started writing.
Wrote 1 paragraph does that seriously deduct my marks?
I spent around 10 minutes deciding what question to do. Ending up comparing Poppies with 'Come on, Come Back' and I ran out of time for the Unseen - which I didn't really like. Ended up writing 3 paragraphs that weren't the best.
Reply 4
Original post by achristodoulou
I spent around 10 minutes deciding what question to do. Ending up comparing Poppies with 'Come on, Come Back' and I ran out of time for the Unseen - which I didn't really like. Ended up writing 3 paragraphs that weren't the best.

Still, 3 paragraphs, that's so much!
I'd go for 2 in-depth paragraphs in 30 minutes - that makes sense. I always do that, my teacher always says to do 3 i never follow her lol.
Reply 5
Original post by Chittesh14
I spent 20 minutes just deciding what question to do -_- ...
Chose Q6 and compared it to 'At the Border' - worst comparison?

Had 10 minutes left for unseen poetry, I don't think I even read the poem fully I just read the question and literally started writing.
Wrote 1 paragraph does that seriously deduct my marks?

You could have compared it to anything so it's fine.I started the unseen poetry first but wasted so much time trying to decide what I wanted to choose for the comparison so I wrote BS.I don't think mine linked in with the question.About the unseen peotry, don't worry.Some people in my school didnt get to write much as well.
Reply 6
Original post by EssiE34
You could have compared it to anything so it's fine.I started the unseen poetry first but wasted so much time trying to decide what I wanted to choose for the comparison so I wrote BS.I don't think mine linked in with the question.About the unseen peotry, don't worry.Some people in my school didnt get to write much as well.

I spent too much time as well because i didn't know anything from the anthology :frown:.
I spent 20 minutes deciding what to choose for comparison :/ I only wrote 2 paragraphs for the comparsion and I was coming to it at the end but I realised I had no space lol because I started unseen poetry on the next page.
Was I right to compare Poppies with Out of the Blue????
Reply 8
Original post by Jakesmiittth
Was I right to compare Poppies with Out of the Blue????

Yes, anything you chose is right as long as you backed it up and also most people in my class compared exactly the same ones as you so don't panic.:smile:
Original post by EssiE34
Yes, anything you chose is right as long as you backed it up and also most people in my class compared exactly the same ones as you so don't panic.:smile:

Okay thankyou
Did you all find it difficult?! I really enjoyed the comparison..probably one of the best ones I've ever done and I've practised an awful lot! The unseen was amazing too..I was expecting a relationships poem for the unseen but when I saw it was by Wilfred Owen I basically started crying with joy in the exam hall!

I compared Poppies to Futility and explored the equal stanza length in both poems and the use of colour imagery and symbolism...did anyone do these poems too? I think it went quite well but i don't want to jinx it though :smile:

I am really hoping for an A..maybe an A* at a push..I hope I've done enough :/
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest