The Student Room Group

AS AQA Computer Science 2016 Revision Help

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mahmzo
yeah, if you miss you lose a certain amount, and for each ship hit I did it in a dictionary e.g {"A":6} so if A is hit it gives 6 points etc. Or you can randomise it.

Do you know of anything else that people have not done yet?

The multiplayer component, but wouldn't that be a bit too much for the exam time, bc you'd need separate arrays etc. or are you saying to just switch between each player after each turn?
Original post by KnightCode
Is this for the new spec from 2015+
or the old spec.
I'm taking the old spec comp1, comp2, comp3 this year.
So if anyone else is also doing old spec, we can revise together and exchange notes xD

I'm doing old spec comp 3 and done the coursework this year, did 1 and 2 last year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by brodingoson
The multiplayer component, but wouldn't that be a bit too much for the exam time, bc you'd need separate arrays etc. or are you saying to just switch between each player after each turn?

I mean it is actually pretty simple, people keep saying you need to create 2 different boards. No there is no need.

If they ask for a simple multiplayer you can do the following , ill write a little algorithm :P

Create a new menu option.
Copy and paste PlayGame (Rename it to MultiplayerGame)
create a new array at the top, that has 2 default names or ask user for their name via input and add it into the array (perhaps make one similar to ships so you can have a score as well EG [["PlayerOne",0]])

Now the only hard bit is using the % operator to alternate between the players. You can set a number = 2 then % with 2. check I the remainder is = 0 then itll be player 1 turn else if the remainder = 1 itll be player 2 turn.

Then you need to pass this array to the getplayerchoice. pass it through the getrowcolumn. then before asking for input print (player[0]) enter your choice.

That's pretty much it. It sounds complex but it is much easier

I really want an A badly haha good luck to all taking the exam. We have like 2 weeks left right?
Original post by mahmzo
I mean it is actually pretty simple, people keep saying you need to create 2 different boards. No there is no need.

If they ask for a simple multiplayer you can do the following , ill write a little algorithm :P

Create a new menu option.
Copy and paste PlayGame (Rename it to MultiplayerGame)
create a new array at the top, that has 2 default names or ask user for their name via input and add it into the array (perhaps make one similar to ships so you can have a score as well EG [["PlayerOne",0]])

Now the only hard bit is using the % operator to alternate between the players. You can set a number = 2 then % with 2. check I the remainder is = 0 then itll be player 1 turn else if the remainder = 1 itll be player 2 turn.

Then you need to pass this array to the getplayerchoice. pass it through the getrowcolumn. then before asking for input print (player[0]) enter your choice.

That's pretty much it. It sounds complex but it is much easier

I really want an A badly haha good luck to all taking the exam. We have like 2 weeks left right?

It does seem complex haha, I'll have a go at it:colondollar: thanks tho!

And yeah 2 weeks, if my coding doesnt go well, im aiming for 100% in the theory exam
Good luck!
If you guys are making a whatsapp GC for computer science add me too :tongue:
Reply 45
Original post by GarlicBread01
If you guys are making a whatsapp GC for computer science add me too :tongue:

No one has joined yet, if you want PM Me your No
Does anyone know any good websites for practising coding. I am doing python :smile:
Original post by DibbyDabby
Does anyone know any good websites for practising coding. I am doing python :smile:

Code academy if you want to learn more, if not think of a project and just do it, feel free to PM me if you need help, I have just done my coursework in Python

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DibbyDabby

Are you doing the new spec of computer science?

And what i do, basically think of simple program you could make, could be anything, try and get the background code to work and then add little touches to it, but try do it without help, that's how i got better
But probably should focus on the skeleton code if i was you:smile:
Anyone doing java here?
Does anyone know where i can get past papers for computing before 2013 because they only have 2013 to 2015 on the AQA website :frown:
Does anyone know where i can get past papers for computing before 2013 because they only have 2013 to 2015 on the AQA website :frown:

Is this for the old spec?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OllieGidman
Is this for the old spec?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but I'm doing the new spec. I just want as many questions to do as possible haha
Yeah but I'm doing the new spec. I just want as many questions to do as possible haha

Okay, what units are you looking for because I might have some?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay, what units are you looking for because I might have some?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Units 2 & 3, but if have any unit 1's i could check them out:smile:
Units 2 & 3, but if have any unit 1's i could check them out:smile:

PM me your email and I will see if I can find some and send them to you

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's about GCSE Computer Science rather than AS but could anyone tell me about Lists & Arrays and Parameters please I'm really confused? Xxx
And good luck for AS Computer Scienece exam :smile: xx
Original post by abc_123_
It's about GCSE Computer Science rather than AS but could anyone tell me about Lists & Arrays and Parameters please I'm really confused? Xxx
And good luck for AS Computer Scienece exam :smile: xx

What exactly would you like to know about them?
What exactly would you like to know about them?

The difference between lists and arrays and why they help writing code easier
Also what do parameters do and why they make programs easier? Xx
Sorry I don't understand the revision guide xxx
Reply 59
Original post by abc_123_
And good luck for AS Computer Science exam :smile: xx

Ok a List is an Array, it is a very fundamental data structure lol. You can declare one using (in Python) square brackets ([ ])
What we have there is an empty list, you can do ALOT using lists, they are a very strong for programmers because they are muteable (changeable).

Parameters are used in functions (def etc etc), the parameters can be used to do alot of things such as move data from one function to other (very bad explanation). It can stop the use of global variables which are not good to have when coding.

EG
def main():
a = 5
example(a) # here the function example is taking one parameter (a)
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending