The Student Room Group

Should we segregate the underclass in Britain?

I am sort of playing devil's advocate here as it is a controversial suggestion, but I am interested in seeing what people's views are.

By 'underclass' I don't mean people who are just unemployed, but those who encompass all of the following: wilfully unemployed, on drugs/alcohol, cause anti-social behaviour and usually have criminal convictions, etc. The archetypal 'chav'. We see these people around most towns and cities in the UK.

Should they be segregated so law-abiding, polite, working people do not have to suffer them? Or is this too authoritarian and under libertarian principles they should be free to go wherever they like and act however they please (as long as it doesn't break the law)?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Grand High Witch
I am sort of playing devil's advocate here as it is a controversial suggestion, but I am interested in seeing what people's views are.

By 'underclass' I mean those who are unemployed, on drugs/alcohol, cause anti-social behaviour and usually have criminal convictions, etc. The archetypal 'chav'. We see these people around most towns and cities in the UK.

Should they be segregated so law-abiding, polite, working people do not have to suffer them? Or is this too authoritarian and under libertarian principles they should be free to go wherever they like and act however they please (as long as it doesn't break the law)?

You make an assumption that unemployed people are not law abiding.
Devils advocate? that what you are pretending to call it....
we discuss this at school all the time - of course they're people and have the same rights, but their behaviour and attitude should not be tolerated within a normal society
Reply 3
x

Talks about a non-contributing underclass... yet still a student and likely not contributed a penny to society either.

Seems legit
Original post by Reue
Talks about a non-contributing underclass... yet still a student and likely not contributed a penny to society either.

Seems legit

:laugh: this.

This thread is ridiculous.
The unemployed are people who are willing and able to work but haven't secured a job yet, don't mix them up with the plain lazy....
Original post by Reue

Seems legit

Selectively picks one item from a list and runs with it to make an ad hominem.

See the "and" at the end of the list. I may be a non-contributing student, but I do not have a conviction or loiter on the streets being anti-social. Also your argument is flawed as a lot of students have part-time jobs.
Reply 7
Selectively picks one item from a list and runs with it to make an ad hominem.

Lets be honest; this wasn't a serious discussion to begin with.

See the "and" at the end of the list. I may be a non-contributing student, but I do not have a conviction or loiter on the streets being anti-social.

Neither do alot of unemployed

Also your argument is flawed as a lot of students have part-time jobs.

Oh dear, another low-earner who doesnt realise that simply paying income tax does not make you a contributor.. assuming your part-time job even comes closing to going above the tax-free threshold?
Original post by IKEAPanda37
The unemployed are people who are willing and able to work but haven't secured a job yet, don't mix them up with the plain lazy....

See the "and" at the end of the list. It did not say "or". I am clearly saying that the "underclass" are more than just unemployed.
Reply 9
See the "and" at the end of the list. It did not say "or". I am clearly saying that the "underclass" are more than just unemployed.

Well that certainly justifies your stereotype.
Original post by Reue
Lets be honest; this wasn't a serious discussion to begin with.

No, this isn't entirely serious but you could engage with the topic.

Neither do alot of unemployed

See the "and" at the end of the list. I am saying the underclass usually encompass all those points, rather than just being unemployed.

Oh dear, another low-earner who doesnt realise that simply paying income tax does not make you a contributor.. assuming your part-time job even comes closing to going above the tax-free threshold?

This is all relative. A high-earner is not a net contributor if various illnesses result in numerous and costly NHS treatments over the years.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reue

So you've never seen people who pretty much encompass most if not all of those points loitering around British towns?
We already segregate criminals, that's what prisons are for.
I honestly think I hate people who say "ad hominem" more than the people who's opinions I disagree with. Not all unemployed people are "chavs" by the way. My mum is unemployed and I probably more well mannered and intelligent than most of the kids at my school. Money doesn't count for everything and hopefully one day I'll be earning money as a functional member of society because my mum had time to raise and support me, rather than the kids who are neglected and subsequently go off the rails or don't fulfill their full potential ect.
Instead of isolating them from society we should do our best to help them

By 'underclass' I don't mean people who are just unemployed, but those who encompass all of the following: wilfully unemployed, on drugs/alcohol, cause anti-social behaviour and usually have criminal convictions, etc.

In the past I have encompassed 2 out of 4 of those, yet held down a job at the same time.

What happens to people like me in your Britain?
Original post by black1blade
Not all unemployed people are "chavs" by the way. My mum is unemployed and I probably more well mannered and intelligent than most of the kids at my school. Money doesn't count for everything and hopefully one day I'll be earning money as a functional member of society because my mum had time to raise and support me, rather than the kids who are neglected and subsequently go off the rails or don't fulfill their full potential ect.

Good point, but I am not sure what argument you are addressing given that I did not say all unemployed people are "chavs".
Original post by Drunk Punx
In the past I have encompassed 2 out of 4 of those, yet held down a job at the same time.

What happens to people like me in your Britain?

Segregated but given rehabilitation and support to get them back on their feet?

By 'underclass' I don't mean people who are just unemployed, but those who encompass all of the following: wilfully unemployed, on drugs/alcohol, cause anti-social behaviour and usually have criminal convictions, etc. The archetypal 'chav'. We see these people around most towns and cities in the UK.

Original post by Mayhem™
we discuss this at school all the time - of course they're people and have the same rights, but their behaviour and attitude should not be tolerated within a normal society

Yes, send us in the Hunger Games. I volunteer as tribute.

Original post by IKEAPanda37

Yes.

Original post by Reue

:rofl:
No because this is the 21st century where we should be seeking to assist people not to isolate them from wider society simply because you don't approve of them :s-smilie:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending