The Student Room Group

A level Physcics

Are a level physics hard on a scale of 1 to 10, and how much difficult maths is involed.
They are difficult a levels with high rewards, and it's very maths based depending on exam board
Original post by theBranicAc
Are a level physics hard on a scale of 1 to 10, and how much difficult maths is involed.

7/10, Physics maths is a joke (compared to A Level Math/Further Maths), and don't do English
Reply 3

The physics courses now are designed so that you don't need to take maths to do physics so you can take that into account. I'm just finishing my AS year in physics and personally I don't find the content hard to understand, it's just the exams (on the new spec) are horrible
Reply 4
Original post by TheFarmerLad
7/10, Physics maths is a joke (compared to A Level Math/Further Maths), and don't do English

Whats wrong with english?
There is definitely a lot of maths involved in the physics course, but it's completely doable with just GCSE maths. My friend is getting As in AS physics and he hasn't taken maths at AS. I would rate physics as a 8-9/10. I was predicted an A* at GCSE and got an A. Some modules are really difficult for me, mainly ones like mechanics which are quite maths heavy (I actually do maths still) but different people find different modules more difficult or easier than others.
Whats wrong with english?

1) Boring ass subject (at least for me)
2) "Are a level physics hard on a scale of 1 to 10, and how much difficult maths is involed"
9/10 tbh
Its definitely not as hard as I imagined it to be. Saying that though, the exams on the new specification are much harder than before.
Content difficulty: 6/10
Exam difficulty: 9/10
Reply 9
Original post by Jzkfksk
The physics courses now are designed so that you don't need to take maths to do physics so you can take that into account. I'm just finishing my AS year in physics and personally I don't find the content hard to understand, it's just the exams (on the new spec) are horrible

True. I just finished my AS as well, and i experienced that too. The course is nothing near to being hard (that is, if you gained an A* or even an A in GCSEs).

The exams are what make your life miserable (in case of Physics here). Especially Paper 1(multiple choice). Its "clearly" designed in a way that you need to have loads of practice and good grasp on even smallest concepts. Some questions are so hard, they don't even make proper sense at first attempt. So, if anyone does plan to take AS Level physics, i suggest finish the book quickly and get going with the past papers asap!
9/10 - do A level maths alongside it though as it would feel easier. I made the mistake of not choosing maths and struggled all year. good luck :smile:
Reply 11
I have done Physics in AS and A2. It's not as hard as people say it is. Don't get me wrong it is hard but it's totally fine. They key with Physics is that remembering or kinda knowing things (which works for some subjects) does not work at all. For Physics you need to understand everything in depth THAT is what is hard about the subject not the other stuff that people talk about. It is hard because if you want the high grades A & A*, you need to understand things very deeply to really get it, that is the hard part, if you can do that, then your sorted. Maths in it is very easy, it's nothing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending