The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
At GCSE I had A*
A Level was very easy but that's because I put a lot of work in
At A Level I had A*s in Maths and Further Maths
I looked at some of the content for AS Maths in Summer but started learning things properly when school started. However I didn't really go with the lessons, I just went ahead. I dunno how many hours a week
Original post by Charlotte.P
There are a ton of people on this thread saying that you need an A/A* at GCSE to be able to do A level but tbh I don't think that that's true at all. I was predicted an A* at GCSE and got a high A, but I know people in my AS maths class that got low Bs and are doing really well. I think that as long as you're really committed to the subject you can do it with a B or above. You have to really really want to do it though. I was predicted a B at AS level and at the start of the year I was getting Es and Ds because I was doing the minimum amount of work I could get away with. Once I got into the swing of things though, and started actually doing extra practise at night and past papers, my grades have gone up to B/A grade. I wouldn't even say that it's my hardest subject. Don't let people saying you need a really high grade to do maths discourage you, if you're willing to put the work in then you can definitely do it.

But im gonna say that if he doesnt get an A or A* at Gcse , as he told me he wants an A or A* at A level maths , will he not struggle to achieve that?
Original post by Ayaz789
But im gonna say that if he doesnt get an A or A* at Gcse , as he told me he wants an A or A* at A level maths , will he not struggle to achieve that?

I think getting an A is completely possible if you're really engaged in the subject. Some of my friends that I mentioned earlier who got low Bs at GCSE are getting As now. Obviously I can't speak for A level and getting A*s because I'm doing AS right now and the highest grade you can get is an A, but if you really work I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to achieve those top grades.
I think getting an A is completely possible if you're really engaged in the subject. Some of my friends that I mentioned earlier who got low Bs at GCSE are getting As now. Obviously I can't speak for A level and getting A*s because I'm doing AS right now and the highest grade you can get is an A, but if you really work I see know reason why you shouldn't be able to achieve those top grades.

Like even if you work , to get an A* in A level maths is definitely not easy , considering the exam boards making much harder papers & as you need 90%+ in C3 & C4 , im sure it will not be easy! Like i said an A is not hard tbh to get at A level maths but like i said its better if he does get an A at Gcse but yeah i understand dw! :biggrin:
Reply 44
I think getting an A is completely possible if you're really engaged in the subject. Some of my friends that I mentioned earlier who got low Bs at GCSE are getting As now. Obviously I can't speak for A level and getting A*s because I'm doing AS right now and the highest grade you can get is an A, but if you really work I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to achieve those top grades.

Are you taking maths onto A2?
Reply 45
Bottom line is you'll only get a grade in A-level maths if you enjoy maths. It's really easy to get a U.

I got an A at GCSE maths and chose A level because I genuinely enjoy maths. For my AS year, I've tried to fit in around 4/5ish hours of revision on top of my lessons and I'm currently looking at B's or C's at the exams I recently took.
So I did my GCSE maths a year early and got an A*. Definitely going to be getting an A this year for AS if I don't screw up stats and hopefully I can get A* next year but I can't consistently get 90% on C1 papers (got like 75-80% in the actual thing), let alone the most likely much harder c3 and 4. Well I got around 90% I reckon in the C2 so I know it's doable... But yeah you should get the same if not a higher grade in A level than GCSE. Well I guess it depends where you strength lie. You need to 100% nail all the algebra from GCSE to be able to do most of core but like 50% of the GCSE is totally irreverent honestly.
Original post by Rajive
Are you taking maths onto A2?

Yeah definitely
Reply 48
Original post by Ayaz789
Ngl if you cannot get an A at the end of Gcse , i doubt you'll get an A* at A level maths! Some papers are hard and you need above 90% in c3 and c4! First try and get an A at gcse! Then work forward with that, if you cannot get an A or A* at gcse and want an A or A* at A level, i guess maths wouldn't be for you then!

I think I can do it. I will teach myself all the content over the summer and do loads of past papers, lol. Major headstart!! :P
Original post by _Xenon_
I think I can do it. I will teach myself all the content over the summer and do loads of past papers, lol. Major headstart!! :P

Well if you do that then sure you can get an A haha! But still , doubt if you can't get an A at gcse you'll get an A* at A level maths cmon?
Reply 50
Original post by _Xenon_
Sorry for the title...

I need to make a serious decision whether or not A level maths is for me. If you have done/are currently doing AS maths / A Level please tell me about what your maths GCSE grade was and how you find A level maths now. What grade are you working at/were working at in AS Maths and when did you start learning/revising the content yourself? How hard did you have to work to get to where you're at - How many hours for example every day or week?

Any advice for me (a year 11 student who has almost completed GCSEs and is around a grade C/B student)?

Many thanks.

I got an A, it is easy...
Reply 51
Original post by Ayaz789
Well if you do that then sure you can get an A haha! But still , doubt if you can't get an A at gcse you'll get an A* at A level maths cmon?

A* at AS maths.
Original post by _Xenon_

I'd advise against doing past papers so early... especially when you aren't ready for them.

To answer your question A level maths isn't easy and if you don't like maths you'll have trouble getting a decent grade.
Reply 53
Original post by Ayaz789

Sorry I forgot to say I'm expecting an A but my grade on paper is C/B so I just used that as an example. My personal target is an A though.
Original post by _Xenon_
A* at AS maths.

You cant get A* at AS :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by SugarCoatedCart
I'd advise against doing past papers so early... especially when you aren't ready for them.

To answer your question A level maths isn't easy and if you don't like maths you'll have trouble getting a decent grade.

Oh OK thanks. I might just learn a topic and answer some exam questions instead.
Reply 56
Original post by Ayaz789
You cant get A* at AS :smile:

Why not? :/
That's odd.
Original post by _Xenon_
Sorry I forgot to say I'm expecting an A but my grade on paper is C/B so I just used that as an example. My personal target is an A though.

Ohh okay haha , yeah sure , if you get an A at gcse then sure you can get an A* at A level maths , if not then you'd have to settle for an A at A level maths!
Original post by _Xenon_
Why not? :/
That's odd.

Because you dont have A* at AS , for every subject :smile:
Reply 59
Original post by Ayaz789
Ohh okay haha , yeah sure , if you get an A at gcse then sure you can get an A* at A level maths , if not then you'd have to settle for an A at A level maths!

OK thanks man! :-)

Latest