The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE English Literature Poetry Exam Predictions

What poems do you think will come up in the Relationship Cluster of English Literature Edexcel GCSE? and the Unseen Poetry?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For the unseen poem, i think its really too difficult to give somewhat of an accurate answer, because there are just way too many options.

But for the relationship cluster, having looked over previous past papers;the poems that have never came up at all are:
Sonnet 116
Our love now
At the border, 1979
Poems that came as only options are:
My last duchess (only one time so its still probable)
Nettles (2 times so i find it doubtful, considering they were both recent)

Assuming that they continue the current trend of not repeating any poem as the main option, we can eliminate:
Lines to my grandfather
Even tho
One flesh
Valentine
Kissing
04/01/07
Song for last years wife

This is in order of date that they came. (oldest at top)
so to be on the safe side i would practise up to one flesh/valentine. I'm certain they won't put anything more recent than that.

the exam paper's set up has changed recently and so there is no longer the options section however you can use this to your advantage if you learn a few poems well and try to use those in the comparison.

i hope this helps - Jadzy
if you have any other theory's
id like to hear them and if i have made any mistakes in the years of the exam or left something out please tell me!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jadzy
For the unseen poem, i think its really too difficult to give somewhat of an accurate answer, because there are just way too many options.

But for the relationship cluster, having looked over previous past papers;the poems that have never came up at all are:
Sonnet 116
Our love now
At the border, 1979
Poems that came as only options are:
My last duchess (only one time so its still probable)
Nettles (2 times so i find it doubtful, considering they were both recent)

Assuming that they continue the current trend of not repeating any poem as the main option, we can eliminate:
Lines to my grandfather
Even tho
One flesh
Valentine
Kissing
04/01/07
Song for last years wife

This is in order of date that they came. (oldest at top)
so to be on the safe side i would practise up to one flesh/valentine. I'm certain they won't put anything more recent than that.

the exam paper's set up has changed recently and so there is no longer the options section however you can use this to your advantage if you learn a few poems well and try to use those in the comparison.

i hope this helps - Jadzy
if you have any other theory's
id like to hear them and if i have made any mistakes in the years of the exam or left something out please tell me!

Thanks so much this is so useful!
Reply 3
Original post by Annabelle Jordan
Thanks so much this is so useful!

your welcome, i hope it makes your revision easier :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jadzy
your welcome, i hope it makes your revision easier :smile:

It sure will :biggrin:
Reply 5
what poems do you think will come up in the clashes and collisions poetry exams- edexcel?
Reply 6
For the past 5 years only one poem has been repeated: (Belfast Confetti)
Jun 2015 - Hitcher
Jun 2014 - Belfast Confetti & Exposure
Jun 2013 - Cousin Kate & Catrin
Jan 2013 - Half Caste & Parades End
Jun 2012 - Conscientious Objector & Your Dad Did What
Jan 2012 - Invasion & O What is that Sound
Jun 2011 - Our Sharpville & Belfast Confetti

I would reccomend revising every poem apart the ones which have been done for the past 3 years.
P.s. it seems that 2015 was the first year to only be given one poem, meaning it may happen again. I would recommend really revising the poems you love and know that you can link them to any other poem
Thanks for that, so the only two poems that haven't came up in the last 5 years are The Class Game and August 6, 1945
which means these are likely to come up, however these two don't really link to each other so its more likely that there will only be one like what they did last year?

I forgot The Drum as well
Reply 8
Original post by JohnSmith44
Thanks for that, so the only two poems that haven't came up in the last 5 years are The Class Game and August 6, 1945
which means these are likely to come up, however these two don't really link to each other so its more likely that there will only be one like what they did last year?

I forgot The Drum as well

No apparently the actual exam format has changed. There are only two questions - one for unseen, then one for the comparison where they only give us ONE poem and we get to choose the other.
Jan 2016 my last duchess came up
good luck guys for today's exam!!! :biggrin:
One question was the role of women in poem@39 and la belle.
The Other was how do the poets of sonnet 116 and one other poem show their feelings about love. Something like that
lol none of us predicted the poem correctly haha :biggrin:
I predicted Medusa and The Ruined Maid for Character and Voice and they came up! Chose Medusa in the end.

Really liked the unseen too.
Reply 14
Original post by rayestar
lol none of us predicted the poem correctly haha :biggrin:

HAHAHAH yeah, sucked!

unseen was nice tho.
Original post by Jadzy
HAHAHAH yeah, sucked!

unseen was nice tho.

yeahh what poem did u compare pity me not to?
Reply 16

our love now, seemed to work pretty well

Nettles
Reply 18
i really don't know how i forgot pity me not in the predictions lol,
seemed to have skipped it all together
Original post by Jadzy
our love now, seemed to work pretty well

Original post by Annabelle Jordan
Nettles

I did sonnet 116, which was the only one I revised on ahaha :biggrin:
It seemed to fit in quite perfectly lol

I found the unseen poem really weird. The woman seemed a bit unusual...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending