The Student Room Group

WJEC Language 2016 official prediction thread

Scroll to see replies

What do you think the grade boundaries will be for an A* on unit 1 and 2
I didn't like the lotf or blood brothers one, where was Simon at I was so prepared for Simon 😭 and what was that blood brothers extract question?!?!?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also my English teacher told me today the wjec officially released that the first unseen poetry was not about prostitution but they will accept the interpretation as long as it's backed up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jade_on_tsr
Also my English teacher told me today the wjec officially released that the first unseen poetry was not about prostitution but they will accept the interpretation as long as it's backed up

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh thank goodness. What was it actually about then lol?
BOTH LITERATURE EXAMS WENT SO BADLY.....can anyone tell me what it was last year for a C..I literally am just praying to pass☹ although a B would be nice :smile:
Original post by HarryGCSE
Posted from TSR Mobile

Im so mad! The AVFTB questions were horrible, is the failure of dreams even a theme... Pretty sure that was Of Mice and Men. We were told to avoid questions like the Catherine one.

And then LOTF.... I had my Simon and Jack essays prepared and it was a stupid Jack and Ralph relationship question. I didn't even revise Ralph because he came up a few years ago. I didn't know enough about fear so missed that out.

I honestly blame my English teacher, he is terrible. We didn't even read LOTF and he gave us few very resources

...ikr
For the Cormier presenting their relationship question, will I lose marks for only using the exact phrasing of the question in my opening and concluding paragraph, instead of all the way throughout? I think I used it a few times in various paragraphs, but I'm really worrying. Thanks
Reply 468
Original post by mrh7
I WILL INCLUDE AIC AND HEROES ESSAY QUESTIONS FROM 2012-2015 IN THIS POST FOR ANYONE INTERESTED

2012-
AIC: Give advice to the actor playing Eric on how he should present the character to anaudience. In your advice, you should include detailed reference to the play’s events,characters, and themes.

Inspector Goole says, “We are responsible for each other.” How does J.B. Priestleypresent this idea to an audience in An Inspector Calls?

HEROES: How does Robert Cormier present the character of Nicole in his novel?

“A story of revenge.” To what extent do you agree with this description of Heroes?

2013-
AIC : An Inspector Calls has been described as a play about deception, hypocrisy and lies. How does J.B. Priestley present this in the play?Eric and Gerald both had an affair with Eva Smith/Daisy Renton. With which of these two men do you have more sympathy? Give reasons for what you say

HEROES: Francis says he 'felt like a fake' rather than the hero he wanted to be. What do you think of Francis and the way he is presented in Heroes ?

'War has a lasting effect on those who fight in it.' How does Robert Cormier present this in Heroes?

2014-
AIC: Imagine you are Mr Birling. At the end of the play, you think back over its events. Write down your thoughts and feelings. Remember how Mr Birling would speak when you write your answer.

What do you think of Inspector Goole and how he is presented in An Inspector Calls?

HEROES: What do you think about Larry LaSalle and the way he is presented in the novel?

To what extent do you find the ending of Heroes a satisfying conclusion to the novel?

2015-
AIC: What does An Inspector Calls reveal about attitudes to women in the early 20thcentury?

To what extent is it possible to sympathise with Mrs. Birling? Remember to support youranswer with reference to the play and to comment on its social, cultural and historicalcontext

HEROES: How does Robert Cormier create sympathy for the character of Francis in Heroes?

One of the themes of Heroes is the use and abuse of power. How does Robert Cormierpresent this theme in his novel?

PREDICTIONS?!?!?!?

AIC: shelia possibly?
could be a question on the parent/child relationship?
Could possibly be a question on Shelia and Gerald's relationship?
How does Eva represent he lower class working women at the time 'An Inspector Calls' was set????

HEROES: How the aspect of Religion is important to the novel?
Francis and Nicole's relationship?

However, these are only predictions and well after seeing the Of Mice and Men paper., it's the could bring back questions that have already come up or re-word them. Good Luck to everyone!

Hello, I just want to thank you for posting this, as it is essentially the reason why my exam went well today! Your predictions were spot on and I cannot be thankful enough:smile:
Anyone doing a view from the bridge, i did the Catherine question, and it said "think about how catherine speaks" so i wrote "B" instead of "beatrice" because she calls her B. Would i get penalised for doing this
Original post by zeldor711
Oh thank goodness. What was it actually about then lol?

Ikr 😂 I'm not sure but I'm just so glad it wasn't about prostitution 😂😅

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 471
Original post by ConorConor
Hi,

Can anyone help answer this question for me.. I have averaged a B in my WJEC English Language controlled assessments and In my mocks for the reading and writing paper I scored 29/40 on the writing and 19/40 on the Reading paper, I've been told that, I would get a C grade comfortably with this coupled with my controlled assessment score of 57. But looking at the WJEC UMS grade schemes it says a C is 120/200..

Could anyone clarify this please?

The 120/200 is UMS marks - not raw marks! You can use WJEC UMS converter to find your converted marks. For example, 19/40 on the reading last year (higher paper) was 42 UMS and 29/40 on the writing paper last year was 54 UMS. Also, the absolute bottom UMS mark you could get in your controlled assessments for a B was 66 UMS which I assume you have since you got a B. This added up is 162 UMS - an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MBK14
The 120/200 is UMS marks - not raw marks! You can use WJEC UMS converter to find your converted marks. For example, 19/40 on the reading last year (higher paper) was 42 UMS and 29/40 on the writing paper last year was 54 UMS. Also, the absolute bottom UMS mark you could get in your controlled assessments for a B was 66 UMS which I assume you have since you got a B. This added up is 162 UMS - an A

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brillant! That has put my mind at ease. Thanks!
Reply 473
What are your predictions on the English language unit 2 writing exam questions?Any tactics for approaching unit 1 reading? Tip? Answer structure? Timings?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think (and hope!!!) it will be a leaflet and a formal letter for unit 2, although I don't think a review has come up in a while (?)
what about you ?
Reply 475
Original post by studentJC123
I think (and hope!!!) it will be a leaflet and a formal letter for unit 2, although I don't think a review has come up in a while (?)
what about you ?

Leaflet don't tend to come up on higher paper but a formal letter tends to be common. A review appeared on the 2014 paper. So, the chances of it coming up is 50:50. Let's just revise everything and hope the questions are relatively approachable!
Reply 476
Original post by TracyEmu
Leaflet don't tend to come up on higher paper but a formal letter tends to be common. A review appeared on the 2014 paper. So, the chances of it coming up is 50:50. Let's just revise everything and hope the questions are relatively approachable!

My November exam 2015 was a higher paper and it was a leaflet and a guide

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 477
Original post by MBK14
My November exam 2015 was a higher paper and it was a leaflet and a guide

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's fantastic then! This means that it almost 100% certain that a leaflet and a guide will not come up this summer. Because I don't have a clue how to write a guide!
Do you predict 4 or 5 questions for the language exam? Hoping the story titles fit my story...
I only do WJEC language and not literature
Who's doing unit 1 English language ?
Any tips on how to answer the comprehension bc I always do badly on that section

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending