The Student Room Group

AQA AS 2016 - CHEM1 (Resit) Unoffical Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Dankailen
but when i did the calculation it came out as 32. something how did you get 28??

The m/z x abundance + mz x abundance... / 100 = 28.065

You might have misput it into your caclulator.
Original post by SirRaza97
The m/z x abundance + mz x abundance... / 100 = 28.065

You might have misput it into your caclulator.

how many marks do i lose? i did the correct calculations
Reply 102
Original post by Dankailen
how many marks do i lose? i did the correct calculations

Only 1 mark I think
The shape one was the total marks and the scoring points??
what do you guys think grade boundaries will look like? i predict a lot higher considering this year's cohort only consists of a level retakes
For the last question, surely it was method 2 because the first method was not 100% atom economy as it had 2 steps?
Original post by Yayvillee
For the last question, surely it was method 2 because the first method was not 100% atom economy as it had 2 steps?

Yeh ur right
Posted from TSR Mobile

Can someone pm me need to ask regardin paper
Reply 108
EDIT: Thanks to everyone who has helped in this thread. If anyone can remember the marks for each question I will add them in for you guys! Also the Bold stuff after some thought are probably the correct answers or something along the lines of it. Good luck to everyone in the rest of their exams

Here is my unofficial mark scheme. Anything in bold I am not sure if it's right. So if you have any idea then please tell me so i can add it! If i have missed anything out then aslo let me know!

Section A

a) Relative Atomic mass Definition
b) Magnetic Field
c) - Ions accept electrons -Current is formed which is proportional to abundance
d) Something like 28.065 for the RAM
e) Similarity= Peaks still at original m/z values becuase +1 ions are still formed/
same relative abundance (or same height of peaks) because same sample is used so similar amount of the isotopes are present
-Difference - Peaks at half the m/z values becasue high energy electrons will produce +2 ions

2. (Can't rmember what topic this was. I think it was about Van Der Waals)
a) -Electron Density randomly shifts -Creating areas of +ve and -ve charge on molecule - Attraction between molecules which is intermolecular force/VDW
b) O-H bond big electronegative difference allows for hydrogen bonds. Hydrogen bonds are stronger than VDW.
c) Fractional Distiallation will sperate these
d) The Se molecule is larger. This means the VDW forces are stronger between molecules

3. (Questions about Alkanes?)
a) Group is alkane
b) 2,2,4 - trimethylpentane (might accept 2,4,4 - trimethylpentane)
c) C8H18 + 12.5O2 ------> 9H2O + 8CO2
d) but-1-ene
e) C14H30
f) Thermal Cracking. High temp and high pressure
g) Isomers question. Chain isomer = H2C=C(CH3)2 Postion isomer = But-2-ene Functional Isomer = Cyclic Alkane so cyclicbutane

4. (The weird reactions and the shapes question?)
a) Balancing equation I couldn't remember
b) Cu2(OH)2CO3 + 4HCl -----> 2CuCl2 + 3H2O + CO2
c) Effervescense
d) Cu3O8H2C2 or in the structural form
e) Shapes question - SF6 = Octohedral , 90 degrees -SF4 = See-Saw shape. Lone pair on the horizontal plane. Angles 90, 120 or 180 degrees. Probably will accept -2.5 degrees off each angle.

Section B

5. (Period 3 stuff)
a) - Ionisation energies increase -Increasing proton number - Similar Shielding -Attraction between outer electron and nuclues gets stronger -The bigger nuclear charge reduces atomic radius (I don't think this point is needed)
b) -Silicon has highest melting point. -Because of macromolecular/Giant covelant structure. -Strong covelant bonds throughout structure. -Requires high amounts of energy to break.
c) The elements that you could say were Aluminuim because removing electron from 3p shell and Sulphur because of pair repulsion.
d) -Element Y is Sulphur. -Large jump in eneries from 6th to 7th ionisation enegies -So 7th electron in inner shell so sulphur must be the element Y.

6. (Calculations)
a) 0.113m3 (3 sig figs needed)
b) 1065 Kg or 1.065x106 g
c) Percentage yield = 49.3%
d) Method 1 because its 100% atom economy. Only producing one product.

Cool,I got the same answers :]
For that VDW forces question, I put that, because electrons are not fixated but are rapidly moving, temporary dipoles are formed, there is attraction between delta + and delta -,... then i drew a sketch similar to that found in the aqa as nelson thornes book (under the intermolecular forces chapter).
(I did not mention 'atoms' 'molecules' im pretty sure i didnt)
I highly doubt I got any marks. But what do you think?
Reply 110
Original post by randoms132
For that VDW forces question, I put that, because electrons are not fixated but are rapidly moving, temporary dipoles are formed, there is attraction between delta + and delta -,... then i drew a sketch similar to that found in the aqa as nelson thornes book (under the intermolecular forces chapter).
(I did not mention 'atoms' 'molecules' im pretty sure i didnt)
I highly doubt I got any marks. But what do you think?

No that is all right
Original post by Pluto98
Cool,I got the same answers :]

Cracking question,i just put high temperature is that enough?
Reply 112
Original post by Yayvillee

Well in method 1 both equations lead to only 1 product so I don't know how that is not 100% atom economy. What poducts are lost? They all go to make 1 product. That's 100%.
Posted from TSR Mobile

High temp and high pressure?
Reply 114
You work out the theretical yield of mass you get which was about 2210.88g and use that against the afctual yeild to get the percentage yield.

1.09x103 / 2210.88 = 0.493

X 100 = 49.3%

wow i completely messed that one up, thanks though :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

With regards to the maths questions do u get full marks for puttin the answer in?
Do you think they will accept 2,2,4 methylpentane instead of 2,2,4 trimethylpentane

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 117
Original post by vinchy
Cracking question,i just put high temperature is that enough?

Hello there,
I think the questions asked for 2 conditions :/, but did you put thermal cracking though?
I've put high temp (700 degrees)
High pressure ( >1000kPa)
Reply 118
Section A

a) Relative Atomic mass Definition (2 marks)
b) Magnetic Field (1 mark)
c) - Ions accept electrons -Current is formed which is proportional to abundance (2 marks)
d) Something like 28.065 for the RAM
e) Similarity= Peaks still at original m/z values becuase +1 ions are still formed/
same relative abundance (or same height of peaks) because same sample is used so similar amount of the isotopes are present
-Difference - Peaks at half the m/z values becasue high energy electrons will produce +2 ions (4 marks)

2. (Can't rmember what topic this was. I think it was about Van Der Waals)
a) -Electron Density randomly shifts -Creating areas of +ve and -ve charge on molecule - Attraction between molecules which is intermolecular force/VDW (3 marks)
b) O-H bond big electronegative difference allows for hydrogen bonds. Hydrogen bonds are stronger than VDW.
c) Fractional Distiallation will sperate these (1 mark)
d) The Se molecule is larger. This means the VDW forces are stronger between molecules (2 marks)

3. (Questions about Alkanes?)
a) Group is alkane
b) 2,2,4 - trimethylpentane (might accept 2,4,4 - trimethylpentane)
c) C8H18 + 12.5O2 ------> 9H2O + 8CO2
d) but-1-ene
e) C14H30
f) Thermal Cracking. High temp and high pressure
g) Isomers question. Chain isomer = H2C=C(CH3)2 Postion isomer = But-2-ene Functional Isomer = Cyclic Alkane so cyclic butane (3 marks)

4. (The weird reactions and the shapes question?)
a) Balancing equation I couldn't remember (1 mark)
b) Cu2(OH)2CO3 + 4HCl -----> 2CuCl2 + 3H2O + CO2 (2 marks)
c) Effervescense (1 mark)
d) Cu3O8H2C2 or in the structural form
e) Shapes question - SF6 = Octohedral , 90 degrees -SF4 = See-Saw shape. Lone pair on the horizontal plane. Angles 90, 120 or 180 degrees. Probably will accept -2.5 degrees off each angle. (6 marks)

Section B

5. (Period 3 stuff)
a) - Ionisation energies increase -Increasing proton number - Similar Shielding -Attraction between outer electron and nuclues gets stronger -The bigger nuclear charge reduces atomic radius (I don't think this point is needed) (4 marks)
b) -Silicon has highest melting point. -Because of macromolecular/Giant covelant structure. -Strong covelant bonds throughout structure. -Requires high amounts of energy to break.
c) The elements that you could say were Aluminuim because removing electron from 3p shell and Sulphur because of pair repulsion.
d) -Element Y is Sulphur. -Large jump in eneries from 6th to 7th ionisation enegies -So 7th electron in inner shell so sulphur must be the element Y. (2 marks)

6. (Calculations)
a) 0.113m3 (3 sig figs needed)
b) 1065 Kg or 1.065x106 g (3 marks)
c) Percentage yield = 49.3%
d) Method 1 because its 100% atom economy. Only producing one product. (1 mark)

I only wrote in the marks for the ones I was sure on, we can add to this if anyone remembers anymore:smile:
Original post by Pluto98
Hello there,
I think the questions asked for 2 conditions :/, but did you put thermal cracking though?
I've put high temp (700 degrees)
High pressure ( >1000kPa)

Oh **** i didnt really read the question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending