The Student Room Group

AQA Chemistry New AS Unofficial Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by britishtf2
Should be - it's above 60% and I doubt a C will be higher than that: it will likely be slightly lower.

Thank you for replying ☺️ I hope your right as I feel that's looking like what I might get!
Original post by dragonblazer11
also, what percentage did u guys get for the question with magnesium and barium chloride

35.5%
Original post by Anna1909
Thank you for replying ☺️ I hope your right as I feel that's looking like what I might get!

No problem :smile: I highly doubt boundaries are going to be higher than standard so you should be safe for a C with 50.
my schools doing the linear option but as i also do aqa i thought i'd ask to see how it was?

so what's every one opinion, also after your opinion can you put how much revision you done too?

thanks in advance

:smile:
Original post by Jassy16
my schools doing the linear option but as i also do aqa i thought i'd ask to see how it was?

so what's every one opinion, also after your opinion can you put how much revision you done too?

thanks in advance

I thought it was generally OK, although I am not sure how well I did, mainly down to multi-choice. I didn't do much revision outside of class compared to most people I know, but I never do because I am lazy and generally remember/understand most things first time. Good luck in your exam(s) :biggrin:
Reply 165
For those of you panicking about grade boundaries, I spoke with the head of Chemistry and one other teacher in the department at my school. Both have taught A-level chemistry for 20 years and been through a handful of new specifications, and having looked at the paper they said it is probably the hardest AS paper they've seen - significantly harder than the old spec - and since the old spec had grade boundaries of around 80% for an A, going as low as 75% for a couple years, you could be looking at around 70% for an A on this paper. This is roughly 56 marks which I think is a fair reflection as I've done all the past papers from the old spec and they're literally like a GCSE exam in comparison to the new spec.
Reply 166
Original post by Jassy16

thanks in advance

Could have been better, could have been worse. I don't find it as bad as I thought initially but still harder than any past paper. I don't think I did particularly well though :/
Revision-wise, I enjoy chemistry as a subject so my understanding was already there so I didn't do any hardcore revision like most of the people I know. I basically just went through all the past papers.
Reply 167
Original post by JL9991
For those of you panicking about grade boundaries, I spoke with the head of Chemistry and one other teacher in the department at my school. Both have taught A-level chemistry for 20 years and been through a handful of new specifications, and having looked at the paper they said it is probably the hardest AS paper they've seen - significantly harder than the old spec - and since the old spec had grade boundaries of around 80% for an A, going as low as 75% for a couple years, you could be looking at around 70% for an A on this paper. This is roughly 56 marks which I think is a fair reflection as I've done all the past papers from the old spec and they're literally like a GCSE exam in comparison to the new spec.

I sure hope they're low but there's no guarantee! I personally don't think it could go lower than 75%. Let's all just aim to get higher on the next!! When I did the two chemistry specimen papers, paper 1 was significantly more difficult than paper 2, so fingers crossed that is the pattern here ahaha
No problem :smile: I highly doubt boundaries are going to be higher than standard so you should be safe for a C with 50.

I wanted an A 😂😂 but I messed up so badly! Hoping if I do well in the next I can get a B though which I would be happy with.
Reply 169
Did anyone use the mean titre as 9.7cm3 then go on and get 138 as Mr, if not what did you get for Mr?
Original post by SM-
Did anyone use the mean titre as 9.7cm3 then go on and get 138 as Mr, if not what did you get for Mr?

Pretty sure that 9.70 is correct, but I used 9.63. I got 149 (I think) but I don't know what you would have got.
Original post by Anna1909
I wanted an A 😂😂 but I messed up so badly! Hoping if I do well in the next I can get a B though which I would be happy with.

Good luck. You also never know: boundaries could be nicer than standard - I wouldn't be surprised if 75% were an A, and not really 70% either. We'll have to see.
Reply 172
Pretty sure that 9.70 is correct, but I used 9.63. I got 149 (I think) but I don't know what you would have got.

I used 9.7 and still got 149.0 (i did it to 1dp since all periodic table Mr are to 1dp). But even if your Mr value was wrong I'm sure they would've done error carried forward
Good luck. You also never know: boundaries could be nicer than standard - I wouldn't be surprised if 75% were an A, and not really 70% either. We'll have to see.
thank you! Good luck in the next one too! I much prefer organic aswell so hopefully it will be ok, fingers crossed ☺️
Original post by haes
I used 9.7 and still got 149.0 (i did it to 1dp since all periodic table Mr are to 1dp). But even if your Mr value was wrong I'm sure they would've done error carried forward

I'm not worried about it tbh. Can't change it now anyway, and I doubt I'll lose more than 1 mark due to ECF ^^
Reply 175
What was the concentration they gave for the titre and the mass of MHCO3?
Original post by SM-
What was the concentration they gave for the titre and the mass of MHCO3?

0.102 moldm^-3 for the HCl with 9.5, 9.65, 9.75cm^3
1434mg of MHCO3
Can someone tell me what method you had to use for the Magnesium Chloride, Barium Chloride question?
Original post by BrainJuice
Can someone tell me what method you had to use for the Magnesium Chloride, Barium Chloride question?

1.052g total in the solid, from memory. BaSO4 is the ppt as it is insoluble in water. Mass of ppt was something around 0.78, I think. (137.3/233.4) is proportion of Ba in BaSO4. So, (137.3/233.4)*0.78 (or whatever it was) is mass of barium in ppt. This is therefore the mass of the barium in the BaCl2.

I used that to find the mass of the Cl in the BaCl2 using the fact that Cl ion is 1- and Ba ion is 2+. Therefore, you can find that the mass of the BaCl2 is 0.681 (from memory) and from that you can find the proportion of the MgCl2 in the solid at the start.

With this you get 35.5%
1.052g total in the solid, from memory. BaSO4 is the ppt as it is insoluble in water. Mass of ppt was something around 0.78, I think. (137.3/233.4) is proportion of Ba in BaSO4...

I was thinking to use this type of method but the questions in my book weren't that complex and I didn't know how. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending