The Student Room Group

Is an A at GCSE enough?

Guys I just wanted assurance that an A at GCSE maths is a sign that the person could handle a level maths if they enjoy it?

Scroll to see replies

I don't think anyone can reassure you. It all depends on how hard you work as a person, some people have got A* at maths GCSEs but D at alevel. Just work hard, practice and you should be fine.
Yeah an A is more than enough, however, do not underestimate the workload
Original post by Rajive
Guys I just wanted assurance that an A at GCSE maths is a sign that the person could handle a level maths if they enjoy it?

I haven't even started my A Levels (I'll be starting them in September like you) but I feel if you're hard working and you like the subject an A would be more than enough.

Some boy in my class is getting Cs and the school's made a special exception for him for some reason, even though he's lazy af too so he probably won't do that well if I'm honest (compared to you!)
Reply 4
Bump
Reply 5
Yeah I got an A and have got 98UMS in C2 90UMS C1. You just have to put in more work, but if you enjoy maths, it'll be much easier because the topics in A level are actually interesting and relevant. Be prepared to work through the textbook outside school and ahead of the lesson and you will improve by a lot within the first few weeks, it doesn't matter if you got an A*. I have friends who mocked me for only getting an A when they got A*s and I am beating them by a lot in A level. I became good by working hard so you can definitely do the same and go on to get an A* in A level.
Reply 6
Original post by Rajive

The fact that you enjoy it is enough to motivate you more than candidates who get A*s and have the arrogance to think they can do no work when it comes to A level. Handle it? It's not as difficult as everyone makes it out to be it's not really a step up from GCSE. The first few chapters of C1 are literally solving quadratics, simultaneous equations, sine and cosine rule (all topics from GCSE). I think you underestimate yourself because you're not doing incredible yet. If you've only just started enjoying maths, then you'll love studying it for A level
Reply 7
Original post by Arsey2.0
The fact that you enjoy it is enough to motivate you more than candidates who get A*s and have the arrogance to think they can do no work when it comes to A level. Handle it? It's not as difficult as everyone makes it out to be it's not really a step up from GCSE. The first few chapters of C1 are literally solving quadratics, simultaneous equations, sine and cosine rule (all topics from GCSE). I think you underestimate yourself because you're not doing incredible yet. If you've only just started enjoying maths, then you'll love studying it for A level

It's true, I have just did my first non calculator paper in Thursday and pretty sure I got no less than 65-74 marks on it. That's always a good start isn't it?
Reply 8
Original post by Rajive
It's true, I have just did my first non calculator paper in Thursday and pretty sure I got no less than 65-74 marks on it. That's always a good start isn't it?

How many marks is it out of? 100?

I think that you should do a bit of practice over the summer holiday so that you start the course in September at the same standard as the other students. As long as you aren't the lazy type, you're still capable of getting an A* in A level maths since you're going to be tested on new topics that are applicable to the real world so they're easier to enjoy. One of the things I didn't like about GCSE was learning things like how to differentiate or trigonometry without knowing why we'd ever use it
Basically, do these look intriguing to you, and do you want to find out more about these, at the same time gaining a qualification [serious question]?:

If the answer is yes, then certainly think about it.
If you're intimidated fully by these and they make you immediately say "nope", then don't think about A Level Maths.
Reply 10
How many marks is it out of? 100?

I think that you should do a bit of practice over the summer holiday so that you start the course in September at the same standard as the other students. As long as you aren't the lazy type, you're still capable of getting an A* in A level maths since you're going to be tested on new topics that are applicable to the real world so they're easier to enjoy. One of the things I didn't like about GCSE was learning things like how to differentiate or trigonometry without knowing why we'd ever use it

Yeah it's out of 100, that is normally the grade boundary for an A on one paper. And okay I'll do that
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by TeenPolyglot
Basically, do these look intriguing to you, and do you want to find out more about these, at the same time gaining a qualification [serious question]?:

If you're intimidated fully by these and they make you immediately say "nope", then don't think about A Level Maths.

Yeah it looks interesting
Original post by Rajive

Then definitely consider it at the very least :smile:

This literally only looks confusing because of the greek letters, trust me anyone can understand what it means so don't be put off by this person.
just means 'the sum of'

Secondly this is nothing like AS maths and it's not a big leap like that at all
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lulucoco98
I don't think anyone can reassure you. It all depends on how hard you work as a person, some people have got A* at maths GCSEs but D at alevel. Just work hard, practice and you should be fine.

agree with this I know of two people that got C's in AS after getting A*'s at gcse.

EFFORT > ABILITY !
Reply 15
This literally only looks confusing because of the greek letters, trust me anyone can understand what it means so don't be put off by this person.
just means 'the sum of'

Ok, definitely not the lazy type at all.
just means 'the sum of'

Ah but if you find interest in that, and think that you could cope with that, then AS will not feel as drastically scary!
Reply 17
Ah but if you find interest in that, and think that you could cope with that, then AS will not feel as drastically scary!

What did you get at GCSE and A Level?

Original post by Rajive

Lol that's not even in A2 maths let alone AS

Plus the only reason it may seem complicated to someone at GCSE level is because they're unfamiliar with the notation...

Just do maths, it's good
Original post by Rajive
What did you get at GCSE and A Level?

Well I don't do AS or A2 maths, but I'm on par for an A* at GCSE.

I'm not taking A Level maths...but I do take great interest in formulae and how everything fits together within mathematics.

Quick Reply

Latest