The Student Room Group

I'm an atheist AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RobML
-God is perfect. Being opened up to perfection is the ultiment fulfillment that leaves nothing else desired.

-Why would it be to the detriment of others? God is infinite and has enough fulfillment to go around to everyone :lol: There is nothing more perfect than perfection, hence nothing you'd want to experience more. Everything one seeks in life is in virtue of biological needs (yet biological needs do not exist in heaven) or of an end of happiness/fulfillment, and so heaven is the ultimate satisfaction of that.

-Again, "God is perfect. Being opened up to perfection is the ultiment fulfillment that leaves nothing else desired".

Tagging someone more knowledgable about Christianity who may be able to help further.

heaven is a fallacy that gave peasants motivation to not do wrong and do hard work with little benefit.
Reply 81
Original post by pelaitsc45
heaven is a fallacy that gave peasants motivation to not do wrong and do hard work with little benefit.

I'm just saying there isn't really anything logically inconsistent about the idea of heaven.I don't believe in it or God.
Do people often argue with you about religion?
Reply 83
Original post by pelaitsc45

You may have done already (by the sounds of it) but I would recommend you look up Marx's critique of religion, very similar to what you're saying and very interesting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobML
-God is perfect. Being opened up to perfection is the ultiment fulfillment that leaves nothing else desired.

-Why would it be to the detriment of others? God is infinite and has enough fulfillment to go around to everyone :lol: There is nothing more perfect than perfection, hence nothing you'd want to experience more. Everything one seeks in life is in virtue of biological needs (yet biological needs do not exist in heaven) or of an end of happiness/fulfillment, and so heaven is the ultimate satisfaction of that.

-Again, "God is perfect. Being opened up to perfection is the ultiment fulfillment that leaves nothing else desired".

Tagging someone more knowledgable about Christianity who may be able to help further.

What on earth (or in heaven) am I being pulled into?
What kinda atheist? Naturalist? Agnostic?
Original post by TMC113
You may have done already (by the sounds of it) but I would recommend you look up Marx's critique of religion, very similar to what you're saying and very interesting

Posted from TSR Mobile

never heard of it but i'll take a look
Reply 87
Only Christian I could think of at the time :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobML
Only Christian I could think of at the time :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you want me to say? He's allowed his own opinion on heaven and tbh most of the stuff he said on the post you tagged me in and quoted him in I sort of agree with.

Yes, heaven will be considerably better than hell (no death, no suffering, no disease etc) but I also worry it will be boring. Essentially it will be like a gigantic church service, you will be there with all other true born again believers worshipping Jesus and God for eternity. That being said, heaven in Revelations sounds beautiful, but it's more accurate to say that a new earth will be created and that will be our new home, so we won't technically be up in some clouds or some crazy mystical dimension
Original post by champ_mc99

I don't know what the difference is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by davidguettafan
I don't know what the difference is?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think any sort of supernatural might exist? You can still deny God but be agnostic to whether there is supernatural.
Reply 91
Original post by champ_mc99

Personally, I'm a projectionist

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you agree that sometimes you have to acknowledge that there is a god to be an atheist?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

As a fellow atheist, why do you think people sometimes link atheism to immorality?
Reply 94
Original post by Tsunaomi
Do you agree that sometimes you have to acknowledge that there is a god to be an atheist?

Posted from TSR Mobile

???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Original post by Nayzar
agnosticism makes more sense than atheism. as you said its silly to believe in things without evidence. so why believe that god definitely doesn't exist?

By that logic, there are an infinite number of things one could be agnostic about.
What about agnostic athiesm? While i do not BELIEVE there is a god i CANNOT be 100% certain.
Reply 97
Original post by Blackstar152
What about agnostic athiesm? While i do not BELIEVE there is a god i CANNOT be 100% certain.
That sounds more like negative atheism
Original post by TMC113
That sounds more like negative atheism

You're probably right all these labels confuse me :biggrin:

I am one too. Are you upset that you don't believe in an afterlife, and that you won't see your relatives again after they die? My dad died last year so I'm trying to wish for an afterlife but I just can't really force myself to believe in a religion/God.

Quick Reply

Latest