The Student Room Group

Is an A at GCSE enough?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by rxns_00
Lol that's not even in A2 maths let alone AS

Plus the only reason it may seem complicated to someone at GCSE level is because they're unfamiliar with the notation...

Just do maths, it's good

What did you get for GCSE and a level ?
Original post by TeenPolyglot
Basically, do these look intriguing to you, and do you want to find out more about these, at the same time gaining a qualification [serious question]?:

If the answer is yes, then certainly think about it.
If you're intimidated fully by these and they make you immediately say "nope", then don't think about A Level Maths.

I'm taking A level maths and further maths and additional further maths AS. I got 98% in my AS maths and 95% in my AS further maths. I have no idea what this is, or why you brought it up. It's not A level maths, and its not further maths or additional further maths. Are you trying to scare them off or....?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rajive
What did you get for GCSE and a level ?

A* at GCSE, A at AS level and doing my A2 this year. Also self taught further maths this year. Work load for maths is the smallest out of all my subjects
Reply 23
Original post by rxns_00
A* at GCSE, A at AS level and doing my A2 this year. Also self taught further maths this year. Work load for maths is the smallest out of all my subjects

Oh ok, were your other subjects essay based?
You literally have the worst self esteem and ignorance of the brain works. 'my brain is not wired for that' do you even know what neuroplasticity is? Look it up and stop making excuses for seemingly not being 'innately talented'. That's just not how it works biologically. People aren't being cliche with platitudes about how you can do something if you set your mind to it. Your brain rewires itself when you sleep and practice a task. If you spend time doing something more than another when you're young, you get good at it and others will think it's talent. Everyone has a similar number of neurones and their connections and synapse strengths are just dependent on what you put in. This doesn't change later in life. You could take anyone without a brain defect and make them get an A* in a level maths even if they had no formal education whatsoever in time. The brain neurones aren't fixed and are determined on what you spend the most time doing. Educate yourself, you clearly have no understanding on the biology of a human brain. The only things that are hardwired as basic vital functions such as breathing, heart rate and body temperature regulation, sneezing and yawning etc.
Original post by Rajive
Oh ok, were your other subjects essay based?

Nope I'm doing A2 biology, chemistry, physics, maths, further maths and general studies :smile:
Original post by rxns_00
Lol that's not even in A2 maths let alone AS

Plus the only reason it may seem complicated to someone at GCSE level is because they're unfamiliar with the notation...

Just do maths, it's good

To be fair, the more interested you are with maths at GCSE, the less unfamiliar you'd be with the notation.
Original post by Arsey2.0
You literally have the worst self esteem and ignorance of the brain works. 'my brain is not wired for that' do you even know what neuroplasticity is? Look it up and stop making excuses for seemingly not being 'innately talented'. That's just not how it works biologically. People aren't being cliche with platitudes about how you can do something if you set your mind to it. Your brain rewires itself when you sleep and practice a task. If you spend time doing something more than another when you're young, you get good at it and others will think it's talent. Everyone has a similar number of neurones and their connections and synapse strengths are just dependent on what you put in. This doesn't change later in life. You could take anyone without a brain defect and make them get an A* in a level maths even if they had no formal education whatsoever in time. The brain neurones aren't fixed and are determined on what you spend the most time doing. Educate yourself, you clearly have no understanding on the biology of a human brain. The only things that are hardwired as basic vital functions such as breathing, heart rate and body temperature regulation, sneezing and yawning etc.

Someone hasn't had any joy for a while...
Well I don't do AS or A2 maths, but I'm on par for an A* at GCSE.

I'm not taking A Level maths...but I do take great interest in formulae and how everything fits together within mathematics.

Your avatar is an integral symbol and you're not taking maths next year?
Original post by Rajive
Guys I just wanted assurance that an A at GCSE maths is a sign that the person could handle a level maths if they enjoy it?

There is a step up from GCSE to AS, but imo, if you're getting As at GCSE you should definitely be able to handle it! I would be vary of doing further maths, but maths would be fine. C1 and C2, the two AS Core maths units, I think are definitely doable from any level of maths ability if you put effort in.

Ps. Are you thinking about doing maths mechanics or staistics? Having done both because of further maths, I would say the stats modules are easier than the mechanics - you can get away with learning methods off by heart in stats, whereas with mechanics you do need to understand things fully to get a good grade. But if you're thinking about doing physics, there is overlap between mechanics and physics, so that's another thing to thing about :tongue:
Reply 30
Original post by loveire&song
There is a step up from GCSE to AS, but imo, if you're getting As at GCSE you should definitely be able to handle it! I would be vary of doing further maths, but maths would be fine. C1 and C2, the two AS Core maths units, I think are definitely doable from any level of maths ability if you put effort in.

Ps. Are you thinking about doing maths mechanics or staistics? Having done both because of further maths, I would say the stats modules are easier than the mechanics - you can get away with learning methods off by heart in stats, whereas with mechanics you do need to understand things fully to get a good grade. But if you're thinking about doing physics, there is overlap between mechanics and physics, so that's another thing to thing about :tongue:

I know it sure that I am going to dislike mechanics, so I chose to do stats just because I done it at GCSE and some of S1 is similar to GCSE stats.
To be fair, the more interested you are with maths at GCSE, the less unfamiliar you'd be with the notation.

No offence right but very few would develop true interest in mathematics at GCSE level, the maths is too basic and doesn't reflect any of the true mathematics you'd do at higher level (namely post A level). Things like proof are overlooked even at A2, so unless a student has contact with maths outside of the school subject they're not going to be familiar with any of the crap you've posted. They're 15-16 and only just learnt what a root is, don't discourage them with "complicated looking" stuff. Plus you don't have to even be interested to take maths to A2
Well I don't do AS or A2 maths, but I'm on par for an A* at GCSE.

I'm not taking A Level maths...but I do take great interest in formulae and how everything fits together within mathematics.

If you're not taking A level maths, don't give any advice?
Your avatar is an integral symbol and you're not taking maths next year?

My avatar can be either the integral symbol or the symbol in the International Phonetic Alphabet to resemble the 'sh' diphthong, or rather an unvoiced fricative.

But yeah, most people percieve it as the integral symbol.

And don't get me wrong- I LOVE integration.
I'm taking A level maths and further maths and additional further maths AS. I got 98% in my AS maths and 95% in my AS further math. I have no idea what this is, or why you brought it up. It's not A level maths, and its not further maths or additional further maths. Are you trying to scare them off or....?

Yeh he doesn't even do maths a level nor plans on. A gcse student wouldn't have a clue what this is so my guess is teenpolyglot is just being pretentious by copying something found on the internet
Original post by rxns_00
No offence right but very few would develop true interest in mathematics at GCSE level, the maths is too basic and doesn't reflect any of the true mathematics you'd do at higher level (namely post A level). Things like proof are overlooked even at A2, so unless a student has contact with maths outside of the school subject they're not going to be familiar with any of the crap you've posted. They're 15-16 and only just learnt what a root is, don't discourage them with "complicated looking" stuff. Plus you don't have to even be interested to take maths to A2

Alright, alright, calm down. It was just a post to show how beautiful maths becomes when you go more and more advanced with it.
I'm in a mixed ability a level maths class (despite getting A* in Maths and further maths) meaning the vast majority of my class haven't done further maths and have achieved A at GCSE. They REALLY struggle with it, even I do at times.a lot of them aren't even passing at the moment. GCSE maths is Nothing compared to a level. further maths really helped me understand this years content better
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 37
Yeh he doesn't even do maths a level nor plans on. A gcse student wouldn't have a clue what this is so my guess is teenpolyglot is just being pretentious by copying something found on the internet

Yeah, he was really extra for that.
If you're not taking A level maths, don't give any advice?

This guy seems so full of BS atm. A polyglot with extensive knowledge of calculus isn't going to do maths a level
Alright, alright, calm down. It was just a post to show how beautiful maths becomes when you go more and more advanced with it.

"go more and more advanced with it"
*hasn't even taken gcse*

Quick Reply

Latest