The Student Room Group

Is an A at GCSE enough?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TeenPolyglot
Alright, alright, calm down. It was just a post to show how beautiful maths becomes when you go more and more advanced with it.

Well really they won't see much beauty in a formula that's meaningless to them, that's all, I remember feeling discouraged when seeing further maths past papers at GCSE and decided not to take it for AS. Then regretted the decision and had to self teach, so I'm just trying to help the guy make the right choice for him. Don't take offence or anything
Original post by Arsey2.0
This guy seems so full of BS atm. A polyglot with extensive knowledge of calculus isn't going to do maths a level

I would give you rep, but I already have too recently :wink: have a written upvote instead
This guy seems so full of BS atm. A polyglot with extensive knowledge of calculus isn't going to do maths a level

I like maths, I just don't want to do it as a qualification, nor as something advanced in further life.
I think you're overestimating maths a level because people who take it want to make it sound hard to others but seriously, if you can get an A in maths GCSE then the problems you solve will only be relative, there is no big step up and it's the same with the other subjects apart from biology I've heard
Original post by rxns_00
Well really they won't see much beauty in a formula that's meaningless to them, that's all, I remember feeling discouraged when seeing further maths past papers at GCSE and decided not to take it for AS. Then regretted the decision and had to self teach, so I'm just trying to help the guy make the right choice for him. Don't take offence or anything

OK, thanks :smile:
I was just trying to show that when you take more advanced mathematics, as opposed to basic histograms and trigonometry, everything becomes more complex. And, in essence, if the complexities behind it are something which you think "well, what does that mean" or "why is that squared", and you want to find out more, then by all means, I suggest that the person should consider taking it, even if they don't.

Hope ya get what I'm saying :redface:
I like maths, I just don't want to do it as a qualification, nor as something advanced in further life.

You don't understand that formulae you posted and no one does at A level. It's obviously going to look confusing and scary or off-putting to Rajive.
Original post by loveire&song
"go more and more advanced with it"
*hasn't even taken gcse*

Fair point.

Just try'na help in any way I can :tongue:
Basically, do these look intriguing to you, and do you want to find out more about these, at the same time gaining a qualification [serious question]?:

If the answer is yes, then certainly think about it.
If you're intimidated fully by these and they make you immediately say "nope", then don't think about A Level Maths.

That's meaningless without explanation. Just a bunch of symbols on the page. The true beauty is in the ideas behind maths.
Reply 48
It did make me jump ngl
If you're not taking A level maths, don't give any advice?

When I say "not taking it", I mean to say "it's not something I've said I definitely want to do", but I am considering it.

I'm aware I didn't make that clear :smile:
Original post by morgan8002
That's meaningless without explanation. Just a bunch of symbols on the page. The true beauty is in the ideas behind maths.

Very true.

But the interest in the explanation is what leads you to the ideas at the end of the day.
I was just trying to show that when you take more advanced mathematics, as opposed to basic histograms and trigonometry, everything becomes more complex. And, in essence, if the complexities behind it are something which you think "well, what does that mean" or "why is that squared", and you want to find out more, then by all means, I suggest that the person should consider taking it, even if they don't.

There is a huge amount in between SOHCAHTOA and bar charts and degree level formulas though.
You don't understand that formulae you posted and no one does at A level. It's obviously going to look confusing and scary or off-putting to Rajive.

Well looking through the A Level Formulae booklets, one of them was one-factor model analysis of variance.

I mean, I could have posted standard deviation, but quite a lot of people can easily understand that...

Sorry.:redface:
Very true.

But the interest in the explanation is what leads you to the ideas at the end of the day.

Or the other way around. The ideas lead you to the results.
There is a huge amount in between SOHCAHTOA and bar charts and degree level formulas though.

Well, yes, that's very true.
Someone hasn't had any joy for a while...

I just get kind of annoyed with people who blame something external to their control when it is not the case and this ignorance can be cured with knowledge of neuroplasticity. The best mathematicians in your school have just practiced more than others that's all it comes down to in order to make new connections in the brain and strengthen existing ones
When I say "not taking it", I mean to say "it's not something I've said I definitely want to do", but I am considering it.

I'm aware I didn't make that clear :smile:

I meant currently taking it (also sorry I wasn't clear!). Sorry if I've come across as harsh, I just don't think you should give advice on a subject you haven't had any experience of. I know you probably didn't mean to, but the formula you posted was very intimidating. I was very confident in my maths abilities in year 11, but that would have scared me off and made me do a double take.

How would you feel if a year nine was giving you advice about gcse maths?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by morgan8002
Or the other way around. The ideas lead you to the results.

True true.
Original post by Rajive
It did make me jump ngl

I guarantee you'll never have to see anything like that and be expected to work with equations like that in A level. TeenPolyglot has clearly just searched for 'complicated maths equations' or something and copied them into this thread without any idea of what maths a level is actually like

I do see what you mean and I know you tried to convey what you find interesting, but you only would find it interesting if you understand the proof behind it. Also remember that not many people will have a similar interest even when they understand it - a lot of people take maths for the sake of taking maths
Original post by Rajive
It did make me jump ngl

Honestly don't worry. Maths AS is really nice, but personally I don't like the choice of applied modules. M1 is ok but M2 is where it gets interesting. S1 and the lot is a bore and I don't consider decision a real form of maths. Core modules are decent and the step up wont be as bad as people make it out to be!
I'd also recommend further maths but it's probably unnecessary for you. You could have a look at it if you wanted to anyway

Quick Reply

Latest