The Student Room Group

Does death scare you?

Scroll to see replies

Not greatly. There are things I want to do before I die though. It's kind of exciting the older you get because the more boring existence gets. I assume there's no afterlife but you never really know. IT would be great to start again from scratch without memory and to rediscover everything. What will happen to my consciousness with all memory stripped away. Energy and mass don't seem to be destroyed, merely the forms they take so I don't see why not the same for whatever it is holding my consciousness together at the moment. I wonder if I'll revert back to the level of perceptive of an atom, perhaps spread out and shattered across the deactivated and disentangled matter of my brain.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 81
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I know it happens to everyone, but if I think about it deeply enough I honestly I get on the verge of having a panic attack. Just the thought of your existence being no more, the complete loss of feeling, good or bad. Just the loss of touch with reality and then in most peoples cases leaving your loved ones behind...never to feel anything ever again.

(Obviously that is if you don't believe in an after life or God etc)

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1gwp3u/what_is_it_about_death_that_scares_you/

Procrastination led me too reddit :redface:

I swear I've made this thread before, aha oh well XD Clearly I'm still not over the fear of this inevitable thing that will eventually happen to me one day...

I'm not suicidal or anything and I'm happy and enjoying life, however death doesn't scare me, it fascinates me. I guess I'm still young and it's a long way a way but I am just so curious at what happens to the body/soul after death. Death is inevitable, so I guess you should just enjoy life and live to the fullest and eventually death will come and there is nothing we can do about it.

we do not know where the bus came from, or where it is going.... but we can enjoy the ride :h:
People fear the unknown and death is the greatest unknown there is. I've been an atheist for a while now and although I don't dwell on it too much, I've kind of accepted the notion of non-existence. However, I think aging and growing old will be really depressing and I will be sad that I will miss all the great stuff that will happen in the future after I've kicked the bucket.
yeah kind of weird thinking you will never exist and have no comprehension of space and time and no feelings or thoughts I think about it a lot as I watch a lot of videos on best gore but I just try to live my life
I know it happens to everyone, but if I think about it deeply enough I honestly I get on the verge of having a panic attack. Just the thought of your existence being no more, the complete loss of feeling, good or bad. Just the loss of touch with reality and then in most peoples cases leaving your loved ones behind...never to feel anything ever again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1gwp3u/what_is_it_about_death_that_scares_you/

I swear I've made this thread before, aha oh well XD Clearly I'm still not over the fear of this inevitable thing that will eventually happen to me one day...

You fear death because absolute nothing is incomprehensible.

I believe there are fates far worse than death.
personally im not afraid of dying myself but im afraid of those i care for dying
I'm an atheist, so I think death scares me because I know that'll be it. But it also motivates me to get on with my life. There was a quote I remember from Ricky Gervais:
'It's a strange myth that atheists have nothing to live for. It's the opposite. We have nothing to die for. We have everything to live for.'
So yeah, death does scare me. But what scares me more is the probability that I won't live a meaningful life. It's pretty much a kick up the arse to tell me to get on with living, because the only reason that death is of any importance is because intends the brilliance an freedom of life.

Spoiler

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1gwp3u/what_is_it_about_death_that_scar es_you/

I view death the same way I view sleep and honestly my only real worry if I was going to die tomorrow would be making sure a few people knew how much they meant to me, that said I do enjoy life and I'm anxious to see the future.
I do feel obligated to do something of worth whilst I'm alive which is why I won't be chilling on a beach somewhere till my time.
[video="youtube;mNoo_rNZQ84"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNoo_rNZQ84[/video] - here's a somewhat relevant song I was listening to writing that :cute:.
(edited 7 years ago)
[video="youtube;3RE5hTwApDk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RE5hTwApDk[/video]
Nah. Death itself doesn't scare me one bit; it's just down to how I die. Even murder doesn't really scare me, just horrible **** like beaten to death etc. Oh well, ces't la vie, or not :erm:
ive just never thought about it really
i suppose it'll be like falling asleep for ever :u:
Think the only reason death doesn't scare me is the fact that it seems so long away. There's always the inevitable but in my mind, I have this image of me living out my whole life before death touches me. I think I'll be ready by then.
No. Dying with regrets, lying on my death bed feeling like I let myself down is my fear. Not death itself. I think people who most fear death are those who deep down know they haven't lived how they want to.
Original post by Namita Gurung
Think the only reason death doesn't scare me is the fact that it seems so long away. There's always the inevitable but in my mind, I have this image of me living out my whole life before death touches me. I think I'll be ready by then.

Exactlyy.
Original post by 0to100
No. Dying with regrets, lying on my death bed feeling like I let myself down is my fear. Not death itself. I think people who most fear death are those who deep down know they haven't lived how they want to.

Mmm. There's things I know I want to do in life so once I've accomplished everything, I'll happily go.
I don't think the act of dying itself scares me, I sometimes worry about it hurting and what comes after it- but thats just basic fear of the unknown, which is what most fears are in my opinion. I know that doesn't make much sense but I think of it like this, when people say they are afraid of the dark, its not really the dark itself they are afraid of but whats lurking in the dark. Sometimes I crave the numbness of it all, being nothing feeling nothing.

(Thats pretty much the most philosophical and profound I have ever been in a post:h:)
Original post by Namita Gurung
Mmm. There's things I know I want to do in life so once I've accomplished everything, I'll happily go.

Yesss. And I recognise your name and you're the one with that simpson gif, still funny :wink:

I think I may be a tiny tiny tiny bit late. :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest