SUITS
OMG it is the BEST :biggrin:

Or Agents of SHIELD
Or Elementary
(edited 7 years ago)
Prison break
Original post by AAK151099
The guy who played Nathan was hilarious

Oh my gosh yes! He was my favourite haha.
Original post by Thutmose-III
You seem to be confusing the fact Downton Abbey is about aristocrats with it being high-brow. :lol:

Downton Abbey is a soap opera, it's just filmed with a single-camera set-up with decent equipment giving the appearance of quality drama; that says little about its artistic value.

And unfortunately like most UK "prestige" dramas, it is years behind prestige US productions from the likes of AMC, HBO and FX in the quality of the writing and even the technical accomplishment and cinematography (single exception to that perhaps being Wolf Hall)

The fact it's not a multi-cam production like Eastenders doesn't mean it's not, at its base, based on the same breathless, cliffhanger-esque soap opera principles that appeal to less sophisticated minds.

Re Game of Thrones, Sopranos and Downton, I think you've made the quality of your aesthetic and artistic discernment quite clear

What are you, some sort of film student? You're being condescending for no reason. Having multiple camera set doesn't necessarily or automatically make a show better. In any case Downton Abbey is critically acclaimed and your pseudo-intellectual garbage doesn't matter.
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
X

I will make one suggestion that should appeal even to you.

Mr Robot

It is probably the most brilliantly written and filmed television show (at least, the first season that has been broadcast) this decade. If you can imagine Fight Club, Hackers and the Stanley Kubrick canon had a love child, it would be Mr Robot.

It works on many levels. Unfortunately the trailer doesn't even come close to doing it justice. But watch the first episode; if you aren't hooked then there's probably no hope for you

[video="youtube;Ug4fRXGyIak"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug4fRXGyIak[/video]
Original post by lukethedonkey
Person of Interest

I saw a few epidoses of that, it wasn't that bad tbh.
Happy valley
What are you, some sort of film student? You're being condescending for no reason. Having multiple camera set doesn't necessarily or automatically make a show better

I'm not a film student, I'm a law student. But I am interested in many areas, including the technical side of television, both its production and as a commercial venture.

You are slightly confused; multi-camera set up is cheaper. It's worse, not better. It's what you use when you need to film quickly and cheaply, without moving cameras around. That's why soap operas look like crap; they are filmed with multiple cameras using standardised lighting that can support a shot from any three. Single-camera productions are much slower to produce but far superior.

In any case Downton Abbey is critically acclaimed

Critically acclaimed by idiots. It wins awards in this country because it's a hugely lucrative production and every luvvie and his dog got a piece of the pie while the gravy train as running. It won awards in America because they're obsessed with the British royal family and aristocracy, and those kind of productions always sell well in the American market.

The idea that it is actually a quality drama in any comparable way to the flagships of the Golden Age of Television like The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Breaking Bad, Masters of Sex etc... it's laughable. No-one ever said Downton was one of the greatest shows ever; such terminology is regularly used in respect the above shows for obvious reasons.

De gustibus non est disputandem only goes so far; anyone with an inkling of musical intuition can tell the profound difference in quality and artistic accomplishment of a Mozart as against a much more obscure composer from that period. Just as someone with an interest in television as an art form and a medium can tell the difference between a truly great show like The Americans or Mr Robot, and bread and circuses for the proles like Downton.

and your pseudo-intellectual garbage doesn't matter.

Of course higher aesthetic and artistic considerations "[don't] matter" to people like you; you've got your bread and circuses. Enjoy. Gorge yourself on your soap operas.
I'm not a film student, I'm a law student. But I am interested in many areas, including the technical side of television, both its production and as a commercial venture.

You are slightly confused; multi-camera set up is cheaper. It's worse, not better. It's what you use when you need to film quickly and cheaply, without moving cameras around. That's why soap operas look like crap; they are filmed with multiple cameras using standardised lighting that can support a shot from any three. Single-camera productions are much slower to produce but far superior.

Critically acclaimed by idiots. It wins awards in this country because it's a hugely lucrative production and every luvvie and his dog got a piece of the pie while the gravy train as running. It won awards in America because they're obsessed with the British royal family and aristocracy, and those kind of productions always sell well in the American market.

The idea that it is actually a quality drama in any comparable way to the flagships of the Golden Age of Television like The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Breaking Bad, Masters of Sex etc... it's laughable. No-one ever said Downton was one of the greatest shows ever; such terminology is regularly used in respect the above shows for obvious reasons.

De gustibus non est disputandem only goes so far; anyone with an inkling of musical intuition can tell the profound difference in quality and artistic accomplishment of a Mozart as against a much more obscure composer from that period. Just as someone with an interest in television as an art form and a medium can tell the difference between a truly great show like The Americans or Mr Robot, and bread and circuses for the proles like Downton.

Of course higher aesthetic and artistic considerations "[don't] matter" to people like you; you've got your bread and circuses. Enjoy. Gorge yourself on your soap operas.

This is why I don't date gay guys.
Before I present my list I just want to say that even I admit that a lot of the shows I watch are trash even though they are great. You should also probably know that I never really cry in real life but when it comes to film and TV I am literally Niagra Falls. Here goes:

Gossip Girl - This is actually one of my all time favourites and even though Nate was always lost he will always be my bae and Blair obviously as she reminds me of myself which is always great!
SPOILER ALERT - well not really but I still refuse to believe that Dan was GG there was way too many plotholes.
Glee - There was no rise and fall of Glee it is and always be great no matter what everybody says I will never stop believing
Game Of Thrones - This is my favourite TV shows and with anything the many plots means that it helps to increase your brain capacity. Just please don't ask me to choose a favourite.
The Originals - Also watching this and just finished end of Season 3 and Kol is sorta alive so all is good in the world.
The Vampire Diaries - I actually used to quite like this although I hated Alena and you wanted something that would take a long time to watch. Also, you don't need to worry about fav characters dying as they are almost always resurrected the same episode or the next.
Pretty Little Liars - The New Big Bad is an actual joke and it is getting a bit boring but Spoby is my ultimate OTP so...
90210 - This was great while it lasted but I can never forgive Annie for being stupid and stealing MY Liam no matter how cute the end was
The Secret Life of An American Teenager- OK maybe not this is one of the few regrets that I have. It was so bad.
The Fosters - this is actually quite good and although it will never happen Brallie actually measure up to Spoby (my ultimate OTP)
Make It Or Break It - this ended way too soon. Who knew that gymnastics could be so fun
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - This is amazing. End of Story

I know it is a long list but I have no life so...
This is why I don't date gay guys.

A hit! A palpable hit! Oh dear, you have wounded me.

Did I upset you so much that you felt the need to stalk my comment history a bit?

I'm afraid all you've done is out yourself as a homophobic idiot or a sexually-repressed clown. And that you're a dude with a glass jaw; one hit and you shattered into a thousand pieces.

Anyway, it's late and I have an early flight so I'll leave you to cry about being in the closet or whatever it is that's got you so wound up.
HOUSE!!! OMG!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: That should keep you occupied (177 or so episodes)

Lie To Me
Orange is the New Black
Pleeeease carry on with Breaking Bad :smile:
Original post by WhyDoIEvenTry?
Before I present my list I just want to say that even I admit that a lot of the shows I watch are trash even though they are great. You should also probably know that I never really cry in real life but when it comes to film and TV I am literally Niagra Falls. Here goes:

Gossip Girl - This is actually one of my all time favourites and even though Nate was always lost he will always be my bae and Blair obviously as she reminds me of myself which is always great!
SPOILER ALERT - well not really but I still refuse to believe that Dan was GG there was way too many plotholes.
Glee - There was no rise and fall of Glee it is and always be great no matter what everybody says I will never stop believing
Game Of Thrones - This is my favourite TV shows and with anything the many plots means that it helps to increase your brain capacity. Just please don't ask me to choose a favourite.
The Originals - Also watching this and just finished end of Season 3 and Kol is sorta alive so all is good in the world.
The Vampire Diaries - I actually used to quite like this although I hated Alena and you wanted something that would take a long time to watch. Also, you don't need to worry about fav characters dying as they are almost always resurrected the same episode or the next.
Pretty Little Liars - The New Big Bad is an actual joke and it is getting a bit boring but Spoby is my ultimate OTP so...
90210 - This was great while it lasted but I can never forgive Annie for being stupid and stealing MY Liam no matter how cute the end was
The Secret Life of An American Teenager- OK maybe not this is one of the few regrets that I have. It was so bad.
The Fosters - this is actually quite good and although it will never happen Brallie actually measure up to Spoby (my ultimate OTP)
Make It Or Break It - this ended way too soon. Who knew that gymnastics could be so fun

I love GG. I should add it to the list, I forgot about it. That was one of the first tv shows I've ever binged. It was awesome. I think I might rewatch it.

Secret life of an American teenager is really horrible with bad acting etc. Can't stand that show. 90210 is ok but not good enough for me to binge watch.

I think TVD is too romantic and I don't like it. Originals, I'm not interested in Twilight spin offs, which goes for both.

PLL is ok too but I feel like it's a GG rip off.

Glee, I can't stand musicals. Grant Gustin from Flash isn't enough to make me want to watch it lol.

I already spoke about GOT.

Never seen the others, I'll check them out.
A hit! A palpable hit! Oh dear, you have wounded me.

Did I upset you so much that you felt the need to stalk my comment history a bit?

I'm afraid all you've done is out yourself as a homophobic idiot or a sexually-repressed clown. And that you're a dude with a glass jaw; one hit and you shattered into a thousand pieces.

Anyway, it's late and I have an early flight so I'll leave you to cry about being in the closet or whatever it is that's got you so wound up.

I'm bi so I'm not hiding anything. Also I didn't bother to read the rest of your post because it's probably garbage.
My biggest recommendation at the moment is Wentworth, an Aussie prison drama that is currently on the fourth season. It's freaking amazing.
Oh no here we go again.

Chuck: 5 seasons. Its a comedy (Not really like friends though) but it has a story line to it. Not just random episodes. I would say each season has a different arc. If I explain it, it will sound crap.

Lost- Im going to guess that you know what Lost is?? So you probably know that its about a plane crash. (Its much more than that) If you haven't seen any episodes of it, then give that a go. Most people will disagree, but season one was probably my least favourite season. Its still quite good. Most people say that season one was the best but uhh.

Colony- It only has one season atm. So im guessing your not going to watch it. But it has been confirmed for a second season. Its in my top 5 easily, which is very weird for a show with only one season. (For me) I don't wanna explain the plot, but it has Josh Holloway (Lost) and Sarah Wayne Callies. (TWD and Prison break.)

Once Upon A Time- I like it. But its about fairytales not sure if its your thing.

24- Guessing that you have heard of it.

Heroes- Same as above

Orphan Black- Its pretty good. However whenever im watching the trailers for the next episode it looks so boring, but when I actually watch the episode its amazing. Its about clones.

Twd- Well you said you didn't enjoy it so maybe not.

Gilmore Girls- Its quite girly so maybe not.
Original post by Kholmes1
Oh no here we go again.

Chuck: 5 seasons. Its a comedy (Not really like friends though) but it has a story line to it. Not just random episodes. I would say each season has a different arc. If I explain it, it will sound crap.

Lost- Im going to guess that you know what Lost is?? So you probably know that its about a plane crash. (Its much more than that) If you haven't seen any episodes of it, then give that a go. Most people will disagree, but season one was probably my least favourite season. Its still quite good. Most people say that season one was the best but uhh.

Colony- It only has one season atm. So im guessing your not going to watch it. But it has been confirmed for a second season. Its in my top 5 easily, which is very weird for a show with only one season. (For me) I don't wanna explain the plot, but it has Josh Holloway (Lost) and Sarah Wayne Callies. (TWD and Prison break.)

Once Upon A Time- I like it. But its about fairytales not sure if its your thing.

24- Guessing that you have heard of it.

Heroes- Same as above

Orphan Black- Its pretty good. However whenever im watching the trailers for the next episode it looks so boring, but when I actually watch the episode its amazing. Its about clones.

Twd- Well you said you didn't enjoy it so maybe not.

Gilmore Girls- Its quite girly so maybe not.

Omg I used to watch Chuck and totally forgot about it. I thought it was really good. I shall resume.
Original post by WhyDoIEvenTry?

I started watching Pll today. Got up to episode 4. I will carry on watching, but im not sure what I think yet. I do quite like the whole if Alison is live and whos A. But waiting 4 seasons hmm. Quite curious what this show is actually about apart from what I just said. Or is all the episodes up to season 4 about weather Alison is alive?

The Secret Life of An American Teenager.- NONONONO. I remember a few months ago (Late last year, this school year) I started watching it, because I love Shailene Woodley. Im not going to lie I kept watching it and couldn't really stop even though it was one of the worse things I have ever seen. Never finished it though tbh. Idk why I stopped. It was a really messed up show. The only character I liked was Ashley. I think I stopped, when Adrian was pregnent with Ben?? And there was a wedding or something. Oh my that show made me wanna scream.

Quick Reply

Latest