The Student Room Group

Not paid for babysitting

Last night I babysat my new neighbour's two kids and they forgot to pay me. This is only the second time I have babysat them (the first time the parents were an hour late coming back and under paid me) so I don't know them very well. It would feel petty/unreasonable to ask them for money but they have asked me to babysit again next week and I'm not sure if I want to risk it. I should be revising for my A2 exams and I only babysat yesterday because I'm skint. Should I say anything?
Reply 1
Yes? When you go over say you forgot to pay me for the other night could you give me the money as I have a bill to pay or something similar and laugh it off, that should sort it out. If not then don't babysit again. Why feel embarrassed for asking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Platopus
Last night I babysat my new neighbour's two kids and they forgot to pay me. This is only the second time I have babysat them (the first time the parents were an hour late coming back and under paid me) so I don't know them very well. It would feel petty/unreasonable to ask them for money but they have asked me to babysit again next week and I'm not sure if I want to risk it. I should be revising for my A2 exams and I only babysat yesterday because I'm skint. Should I say anything?

Similar to Smeggy. Either drop them a note and get paid. Just say Hi, am sure its an oversight but you forgot to pay me last night. The standard rate is £ an hour.

If they dont pay or grumble, then take the adiuce of your parents, but tbh revision time would then be more important. I hoped you charged them for the hour late last time. If they are bad or underpayers, then simply dont do it. I cnat imagine you being anything but polite, so stand your ground.
Reply 3
You should definitely ask them, I would - especially if you could've been revising
Reply 4
Original post by SMEGGGY
Yes? When you go over say you forgot to pay me for the other night could you give me the money as I have a bill to pay or something similar and laugh it off, that should sort it out. If not then don't babysit again. Why feel embarrassed for asking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by 999tigger
Similar to Smeggy. Either drop them a note and get paid. Just say Hi, am sure its an oversight but you forgot to pay me last night. The standard rate is £ an hour.

If they dont pay or grumble, then take the adiuce of your parents, but tbh revision time would then be more important. I hoped you charged them for the hour late last time. If they are bad or underpayers, then simply dont do it. I cnat imagine you being anything but polite, so stand your ground.

Original post by etata
You should definitely ask them, I would - especially if you could've been revising

Thanks everyone... I didn't charge them a late fee the time before by the way. I know I should ask them but perhaps I should give them a day to remember by themselves? I don't want to come across as rude.
Thanks everyone... I didn't charge them a late fee the time before by the way. I know I should ask them but perhaps I should give them a day to remember by themselves? I don't want to come across as rude.

If you are going to wait, then do not confirm the next booking. You need to get off on the right footing or they will continually take advantage. Find out what the going rate is. I would normally say get lost to them, but it might be handt to buy books and when you return in the holidays.
Reply 6
Better to get yourself into good habits, it shouldn't be embarrassing or scary to ask for what you're owed, you gave up your time so they could enjoy themselves.

I would message them saying: Yes, it's be a pleasure to do so again! Can I also ask when I can expect the £X for last time [and the extra £X for the time before], as I have some outgoings I need to take care of soon.

Just an idea.
You could just say you've realised both of you forgot about the payment last time and would it be easiest for them to just pay you double this time? assume they genuinely made a mistake and possibly haven't remembered themselves until they're awkward... you shouldn't feel bad bringing it up, you can't expect people to work for free
Reply 8
Well they still hadn't paid me so this evening I texted and said that I was really sorry that I had forgotten to ask for payment yesterday and asked if I could please come and collect the money tomorrow. That was the politest way I could think of putting it. They just texted back saying "that's fine". I hope I didn't offend them. I'm scared to go and collect the money now :frown:
Well they still hadn't paid me so this evening I texted and said that I was really sorry that I had forgotten to ask for payment yesterday and asked if I could please come and collect the money tomorrow. That was the politest way I could think of putting it. They just texted back saying "that's fine". I hope I didn't offend them. I'm scared to go and collect the money now :frown:

You have nothing to be scared of and they have nothing to be offended by.

If they are offended that they have to pay for your time then frankly they're shitty people.

never be afraid to ask for money you deserve and are owed.

Ofc not , its they who are at fault. They should have the money ready and pay that night. Do not let them underpay you. You must start as you mean to go on.

You didnt offend them , you just asked for what is yours.

Btw be sure to have an answer ready when you get the money as to what your decision is about the next babysitting. Dont do it if you dont want.

I would go and collect it for you and serve them with a contract as well.
Reply 11
Ofc not , its they who are at fault. They should have the money ready and pay that night. Do not let them underpay you. You must start as you mean to go on.

You didnt offend them , you just asked for what is yours.

Btw be sure to have an answer ready when you get the money as to what your decision is about the next babysitting. Dont do it if you dont want.

I would go and collect it for you and serve them with a contract as well.

Original post by SophieSmall
You have nothing to be scared of and they have nothing to be offended by.

If they are offended that they have to pay for your time then frankly they're shitty people.

never be afraid to ask for money you deserve and are owed.

Thanks guys
:hugs:
Reply 12
I did it! I got the money and they actually paid me the correct amount!
I did it! I got the money and they actually paid me the correct amount!

Good news and don't let them get into bad habits.

I did look up some baby sitting contracts for you, just in case....
Reply 14
Good news and don't let them get into bad habits.

I did look up some baby sitting contracts for you, just in case....

Aww thank you :smile: Not sure I'd be brave enough to use one though! I know, I'm pathetic.
Reply 15
Yes. This has happened to me a couple of times as I work in child care. But do a little extra sitting. If they ask you again just say “I’d love to because I need the extra cash. Oh and by the way you forgot to pay me last time. Sorry to ask but the cash helps me out while I’m studying “. Give them the option to do a bank transfer if they don’t have cash. Also be specific about hourly rates eg I did 5 hours so that’s £50 you owe me please”. Let’s face it they wouldn’t walk out of a restaurant or bar without paying. However some people genuinely forget. Good luck and don’t be shy. 😊
Original post by Debs777
Yes. This has happened to me a couple of times as I work in child care. But do a little extra sitting. If they ask you again just say “I’d love to because I need the extra cash. Oh and by the way you forgot to pay me last time. Sorry to ask but the cash helps me out while I’m studying “. Give them the option to do a bank transfer if they don’t have cash. Also be specific about hourly rates eg I did 5 hours so that’s £50 you owe me please”. Let’s face it they wouldn’t walk out of a restaurant or bar without paying. However some people genuinely forget. Good luck and don’t be shy. 😊

This is a four year old thread.
Original post by RogerOxon
This is a four year old thread.

She's probably got children of her own now :laugh:

Latest

Trending

Trending